Currently Spinning

On 5/11/2017 at 8:55 PM, unclemack said:

Archipelago is one of my favourite albums. Awesome SQ and sublime music. How does the Metallica sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loud, heavy and hard ;O

• Like 1

18 hours ago, metal beat said:

The Bug vs Earth.  Drone dub electronica - it works

concrete-desert-main.jpg

I should like this but it just doesn't do anything for me.  I wish there was more Bug and less Earth. But by all means, definitely worth a try if you're the least bit interested in what Dylan Carlson does

• Like 2

On 5/12/2017 at 4:32 AM, metal beat said:

The Bug vs Earth.  Drone dub electronica - it works

"Drone dub electronica" -- have you heard the stuff on the Echospace label out of Detroit? Deepchord, variant, cv313, etc. Heaps of 1 hour plus dub techno tracks.  Mostly digital, but some vinyl still to be found if you look.

https://echospacedetroit.bandcamp.com/music

--Geoff

• Like 5

Geoff - you astonish me.

Meantime, we've been mining a narrow vein here, I must listen more widely:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxp7LlM-c9ZYWncT9im4L

2011 Guthrie Plante mastering in the cardboard sleeve. On first listen, this version loses attack and the whole thing sounds normalised. All of a sudden this album became ordinary.

R-1347775-1433411546-5130.jpeg.jpg&sp=89

Found in a local op shop.  I have the other single and this completes the pair.  The highlights remain 'Lemon'.  U2 don't get enough credit for the adventurousness of their B sides. 'Stay' was deservedly a hit, based on Bono's vocal, but 'Lemon' is the enduring earworm: a man makes a lyric, a memorable lyric...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSajsMhHCFh7VXdsnN0VZB

Leith's fifth album and I approached it with some trepidation, as this could have been a fiasco.  This is better than creditable, in fact it's a commendable listen, especially towards the end of the album where the producer's iron grip loosens a little.  Leith genuinely has the vocal range to handle this task, and all that is lacking is some nuance in phrasing and looseness in the arrangements, and the catch in the voice that Orbison was born with and which, with practice, he used to great effect. So don't expect grittiness from these covers. Even so, pleasantly surprised.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTy0d0WIiA8_kf_rr_i59f

Includes Nick Cave's cover of Orbison's 'Running Scared' but frankly Leith does it better because (as happens here) Cave doesn't always avoid coming across as some form of parody. The best song is 'Two a.m.' where the Dirty Three just jam around a melodic riff.

4461058-origpic-d9ffdd.jpg_0_0_100_100_2

Recommended here on SNA for the vocals but tonight my attention was on the bagpipe-like drone of the fiddle, which I found immensely satisfying and maybe was a holdover from the Dirty Three.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7ZOy6rQprTOZIesThEjj

Another one from the op shop this afternoon. This is beautiful.  On first listen I think I'd put this ahead of So Tonight That I might See. (Which I like  so much that I have two copies).

220px-The_The_-_Mind_Bomb_CD_cover.jpg

A band I came late to.Some wonderful pop craftsmanship that I'm still assimilating.

• Like 1

bit dusty this morning after a long session yesterday with @Hensa.  great day and some fantastic music and wine..

So I'm loading up my shopping cart at the moment and listening to Apple Music.

two stand outs for me thus far

Mudcrutch - 2

John Mayer - The search for everything

both in my shopping trolley....

mudcrutch.png

mayer.png

• Like 1

Feeling the need to annoy the neighbours I have given a spin to KING CRIMSON live set, ' EARTHBOUND' recorded on a 1972 U.S. Tour . Never really meant to be an official release as it was live to cassette, but the bootleggers forced the issue. It is murky and often dissonant, and it actually only makes sense if you crank it.

But  check out the listings in this newspaper clipping included in the cover notes. It's a bit blurry, but check out that list, what a rich time for classic rock.

Times change I know, but radio just ain't the same.

Billy.

image.jpeg

• Like 5