Currently Spinning

18 hours ago, Zen Mister said:

Lovely to hear lads.  Perhaps perversely, I have always used this album as a gauge of musical intelligence in my friends. If they 'get it', they get a tick from me. 

I am waiting for 'Nashville Skyline" SACD Mofi due this week.

Billy.

Do I get a cross if I let on that my favourite track is 'Down Along The Cove'. I know it's a lightweight in the company it keeps but I love the ebullient lover/daddy Dylan vibe and the groove is irresistible. You could strut to that all day long. 

18 hours ago, Zen Mister said:

Hi Martin. They never disappoint. Would you agree they are little more 'rocky' than KRONOS ?

Billy.

Kronos have covered everyone from Hendrix to Sigur Ros. Here they are with Finnish accordionist Kimmo Pohjonen. Live.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Do I get a cross if I let on that my favourite track is 'Down Along The Cove'. I know it's a lightweight in the company it keeps but I love the ebullient lover/daddy Dylan vibe and the groove is irresistible. You could strut to that all day long. 

All good Tom! I always marvel at how many times I listened to "As I went out one morning" before realizing that it was tightly sketched horror story worthy of a film treatment - a la George Romero.

Billy.

2 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Kronos have covered everyone from Hendrix to Sigur Ros. Here they are with Finnish accordionist Kimmo Pohjonen. Live.

Well aware of the KRONOS repertoire, but having heard them both live, Kronos  

present themselves in a more classic manner - that was my meaning.

• Like 1

Paco Peña Misa Flamenca. Nimbus Records ?NI 5288 UK 1991. Paco Peña with the Acadamy of St Martins in the Fields Chorus. SMF have never been backward at trying something different. This is different, in a good way.  Paco Peña played in Brisbane last October, but i couldn't get to the concert.

Charles Mingus Mingus Ah Um. CBS CBS 450436 2. Eu 1987

the Monkees & the Archies, go figure... the things you end up with when you buy a collection!

DSCN1064.JPG

DSCN1065.JPG

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 2

Omnia "Crone of War" (2004)

Neo-celtic pagan rock.

Omnia is a Dutch band comprising 3 long term members with a changing line-up of others/guests.

Harp, whistles, pipes, horns (the animal kind), hurdy-gurdy, dulcimer, a few chants and limited vocals with any number of percussive things, and of course a didgeridoo.  Not nearly as 'dark' as one might expect from the 'pagan' description and the album cover.

Recorded 'raw' without electronic gimmickry or compression of any sort.  20dB or more of crest value. (= max - RMS average).

A bit niche but that's what you find at the bottom of rabbit holes.

58fb2f2a9c17a_FromClipboard.jpg.982bf2831c0d469d46952e42ba903853.jpg

• Like 1

Trying to listen to Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player

But failed half way through

On the other hand this is a great record and can listen to at any time even after 45 years

IMG_0192.JPG

Edited by keyse1
  • Like 3

Aimee Mann - Mental Illness

Image result for aimee mann mental illness

A lovely little set of vignettes about all manner of maladies.  It's great to see an artist tenderly address an issue that affects so many.  It's a more stripped back acoustic album and a real return to form - for mine it's her best album since Bachelor No 2.  Great pressing and SQ too.

Edited by ABG
  • Like 3

Willie Nelson: Teatro

I was initially attracted to this album through the production work of Daniel Lanois, and Emmylou Harris supplying vocals to a large number of tracks. Not a Willie Nelson or country music fan by any stretch, but this album seems to sit in a vacuum.....far removed from most of his other work.

All that said, it's a mighty fine album.

There were rumours circulating a couple of years back about a new vinyl issue, but they seem to have died on the vine.

20170423_191008.jpg

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, soundfan said:

Willie Nelson: Teatro

I was initially attracted to this album through the production work of Daniel Lanois, and Emmylou Harris supplying vocals to a large number of tracks. Not a Willie Nelson or country music fan by any stretch, but this album seems to sit in a vacuum.....far removed from most of his other work.

All that said, it's a mighty fine album.

There were rumours circulating a couple of years back about a new vinyl issue, but they seem to have died on the vine.

20170423_191008.jpg

Chris

Have you got the gold vinyl reissue from 2015?    Wondering how it sounds

Been close to buying it several times, but never have.

25 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Chris

Have you got the gold vinyl reissue from 2015?    Wondering how it sounds

Been close to buying it several times, but never have.

No Shane, haven't purchased a vinyl release as yet. Tempted though.

• Like 1