Currently Spinning

5 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

I really like Vision Thing (although it has a lot of detractors) but I'm unsure of 'retired'? The Sisters are still touring.

I love every Mercy album, but Vision Thing is my fav that I never seem to tire of.

They certainly retired from recording.   a man's gotta make a living, so they tour the UK and Europe every now and then.   Wish they would come downunder sometime.

Saw them at the Corner in Melbourne a few years back, after they did a short NZ tour. A friend who saw both gigs rated the Auckland performance as better. Too much smoke for my liking - the Sisters of Misty - and the only act where I haven't balked at the idea of paying to hear a drum machine has been Chris Knox. My wife was tired at the Sisters, sat on the floor against my legs and fell asleep. But I do have most of their catalogue.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, analog brother said:

i have had 'a moon shaped pool' on high rotation the last week/s.

of course it has been perpetually growing and blossoming...

i now rate it among their best works. :thumb:

Do you? That's interesting.

I had it on high rotation for awhile but it's dropped off a bit now but it has had me pondering the same question about where to place it in the Radiohead pantheon.

I went back and listened to a few others and I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to number them from best to least liked, so much as place them in a evolutionary line and I firmly believe that they still, after all this time do that thing that only the best groups and individuals can do and that is evolve and adapt.

Hail to the Thief  is one of my favs  and I spent some time switching between the two as both albums feature reactions to external events and then I put on some others and AMSP really does contain bits of all their other albums,parts of all their musical skills and it's the present iteration of their continuing evolution as observers and musicians.

• Like 5

So we start with So. Classic records re-issue that is an absolute corker.

&@scuzzii

Is this a 45 or 33 rpm version. Great to know yours doesn't have warpage issue as reported, or is this a repress?

Max

2 hours ago, Luc said:

Do you? That's interesting.

I had it on high rotation for awhile but it's dropped off a bit now but it has had me pondering the same question about where to place it in the Radiohead pantheon.

I went back and listened to a few others and I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to number them from best to least liked, so much as place them in a evolutionary line and I firmly believe that they still, after all this time do that thing that only the best groups and individuals can do and that is evolve and adapt.

Hail to the Thief  is one of my favs  and I spent some time switching between the two as both albums feature reactions to external events and then I put on some others and AMSP really does contain bits of all their other albums,parts of all their musical skills and it's the present iteration of their continuing evolution as observers and musicians.

agreed.

the latest album really does display a firmly evolved trajectory, but still encompasses everything that was great about them (and thom's solo works) in the past.

it's a most beautiful work, and it sure took it's sweet time (or i did to realise it ) to sink in.

of course one couldn't, and shouldn't, number them but man, they are back in form!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Y B said:

&@scuzzii

Is this a 45 or 33 rpm version. Great to know yours doesn't have warpage issue as reported, or is this a repress?

Max

This is the 33 rpm original Classic release. I bought them as they came out in the 00s, the same with the Zeppelin original re-issues. As the series went on there were quality concerns, mainly dish warping which was fine for the one side as a clamp would flatten it but was a pain for the other side where really you would need a peripheral ring to flatten them. I would say this was just a case of Classic rushing things and not giving the records time to cool down properly after being pressed. The heavier the record got, 180 g to 200 g to 220 g the worse the problem seemed. Otherwise the quality was bang on and the sonics are a joy.

I never bought any Classic 45 rpm reissues of anything as the 33 rpm were so good and I don't really like a single album being broken up into 4 parts, the sonics start to become more important than sitting back and listening to a full album. Both Us and Up suffer from the double treatment even with the 33 rpm. Some sides are silly short, a 3 sided set would have been preferred for me.

6 minutes ago, Hergest said:

This is the 33 rpm original Classic release. I bought them as they came out in the 00s, the same with the Zeppelin original re-issues. As the series went on there were quality concerns, mainly dish warping which was fine for the one side as a clamp would flatten it but was a pain for the other side where really you would need a peripheral ring to flatten them. I would say this was just a case of Classic rushing things and not giving the records time to cool down properly after being pressed. The heavier the record got, 180 g to 200 g to 220 g the worse the problem seemed. Otherwise the quality was bang on and the sonics are a joy.

I never bought any Classic 45 rpm reissues of anything as the 33 rpm were so good and I don't really like a single album being broken up into 4 parts, the sonics start to become more important than sitting back and listening to a full album. Both Us and Up suffer from the double treatment even with the 33 rpm. Some sides are silly short, a 3 sided set would have been preferred for me.

Correction - it's 5 sided. ignore my comment

Edited by scuzzii

Yes-Fly From Here.

I really like this line up of Yes with Benoit David on vocals and Chris Squire gets a good outing with his voice. Italian pressing which I believe was the only one done. Pretty good until the last 5 minutes of side 1 when it all starts to fall apart and distort.

Yes-Fly From Here.jpg

4 minutes ago, Hergest said:

5 sided? What's that? Up or Us?

it was a comment on Us.  I thought it was 3 sided as per your comment.  As I know mine has an etched side (the 45rpm version). But i double checked and it is 5 sided.

Clearly I drink when I play it as I can't count...

https://www.discogs.com/Peter-Gabriel-Us/release/8744593

• Like 2

For Steven Wilson fans;

Most of you will be familiar with his excellent work with Porcupine Tree / Blackfield / Storm Corrosion / Bass Communion /  No-man etc but during my nightly musical sojourns on the net, I stumbled across this link:

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/coltsfoot

I bet none of you have got this any of these releases.......

• Like 2

Just winding up an all things Richard Clapton afternoon. So many brilliant albums, but these three always get the airtime. Has Richard been declared a

National Treasure yet????

It never ceases to amaze me that he seems destined to be ' off the radar' as far as radio play goes. Whether on vinyl or cd, these albums are spectacular.

Billy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

I only have a greatest hits / live compo of his and would love the main body of his output by way of CDs but regrettably, the pitbull says no to any more CDs although I can't see what the issue is really.......

A great song-smith no doubt.

Prog

cd1.jpg

cd2.jpg

cd3.jpg

cd4.jpg

cd5.jpg

cd6.jpg

• Like 8

Those snaps confirm it PROG- we definitely share some DNA somewhere down the line.  Is that a speed -error corrected " Cold Spring Harbour" in the pile on the floor???? I hope that is the incoming selection, not the outgoing group.

Billy.

• Like 1

Def Leppard-Mirrorball. Sounds suspiciously like the live sound has been enhanced with the Exciteron™ especially the audience noise but it's a fun triple album with the 6th side being some studio tracks.

Def Leppard-Mirrorball.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zen Mister said:

Those snaps confirm it PROG- we definitely share some DNA somewhere down the line.  Is that a speed -error corrected " Cold Spring Harbour" in the pile on the floor???? I hope that is the incoming selection, not the outgoing group.

Billy.

Nah, it's just an image of a messy pile of CDs I used off the net to emphasize the disorganization of my kleckshun

• Like 1

Artist: Daughter   Album: His Young Heart (EP)

Featuring the dreamy and wonderful vocals of Elena Tonra.  The band Daughter are an indie folk group from England.

Found it on Bandcamp after hearing a song from another of their albums on the TV series 'Forever' (with Henry the doctor who can't die).  It's amazing how the journey of discovery often unfolds in coming across new music and artists.  I had not heard of Daughter before. For those that are LP luddites there is some vinyl of this floating around the net also.

snaHis Young Heart.jpg

7 hours ago, Milo said:

Artist: Daughter   Album: His Young Heart (EP)

Featuring the dreamy and wonderful vocals of Elena Tonra.  The band Daughter are an indie folk group from England.

Found it on Bandcamp after hearing a song from another of their albums on the TV series 'Forever' (with Henry the doctor who can't die).  It's amazing how the journey of discovery often unfolds in coming across new music and artists.  I had not heard of Daughter before. For those that are LP luddites there is some vinyl of this floating around the net also.

snaHis Young Heart.jpg

Good band and nice find.   They signed to 4AD for the release of their debut album in 2013.

This is the current one released last year - Not to Disappear. 

31903064350_848541c751_b.jpg

• Like 1