Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

This is a fully modded Planar 2 (except power supply, any suggestions?) with a Supex901 Super rewired by the Garrott Brothers (RIP) back in the early '80's. Recently overhauled & retipped. Have never used another cartridge but I assume it's a nice one. Any opinions? I am using the inbuilt phono card in the Unico Secondo, with really pleasing results. Sounds better than the Saturn & the Benchmark DAC1, believe it or not![ATTACH=CONFIG]30535[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30534[/ATTACH]attachment.php?attachmentid=30536&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1302152591

• Like 1

The Supex was modded by the Garrott brothers backed in the day, which really put it many steps ahead of stock. The now Garrott Bros company in Melbourne did an excellent job on this old baby. As I said, this is the only cart I've ever had, so I really don't know how it compares with modern designs. Very smooth with amazing midrange, huge soundstage. As I say to people when I compare the Planar with the Saturn, the Planar just fills the room. The physical presence of the speakers disappear.

Which is your favourite phono stage FG?

Bodhi

Bodhi, It's hard to say which one is my favourite among these 3 (I wouldnt say 5 but 3 (ie., 2 AD-10 phonos in C-265, and 2 built-in ones in C-240), depends on the mood to spin the different vinyl.

FG

Anybody have any listening comments about the following phono stages?

• Stephen Brown's "Caravaggio"?
  • The ANT "Kora"?
  • Puresound Valve P10?
  • Whest PS.30R?
  • Whest Two?

Regards,

Andy

Don't forget the venerable EAR834P and the Icon Audio phono stages:

http://www.iconaudio.co.uk/PS1.html

http://www.iconaudio.co.uk/PS2.html

http://www.iconaudio.co.uk/PS3.html

Ignore the looks, that make some cracking stuff, better than the a.n.t phono stage by every account I've read.

Dave

The ANT Kora comes with good wraps, eh....

Mike, they all come with good wraps ... but I don't have the wherewithall to buy them all and then conduct my own shootout! :thumb:

Regards,

Andy

Edited by andyr

Don't forget the venerable EAR834P and the Icon Audio phono stages:

http://www.iconaudio.co.uk/PS1.html

http://www.iconaudio.co.uk/PS2.html

http://www.iconaudio.co.uk/PS3.html

Ignore the looks, that make some cracking stuff, better than the a.n.t phono stage by every account I've read.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

The EAR has already been vanquished by my phono stage but I will have to investigate Icon Audio. Thanks for the links.

Edit: The PS2 seems to be the one for me as I do not want either an in-built volume control or an in-built step-up transformer.

Regards,

Andy

Edited by andyr

No not integral, a separate box. the Coplland's MM stage is quite good to my ears, but has no MC, so I'm conjuring up a little inconspicuous MC input, It will be quite small, I've ordered a case made from extruded aluminium, about 40mm x 80mm x 110mm. I have decided to add a 100k lin pot to the o/p to fine tune the load for different carts, that is all that will be visible from the front, choosing between a 16mm and 29mm knob. oh life's decisions are so difficult :thumb:

Thanks Dave,

The EAR has already been vanquished by my phono stage but I will have to investigate Icon Audio. Thanks for the links.

Edit: The PS2 seems to be the one for me as I do not want either an in-built volume control or an in-built step-up transformer.

Regards,

Andy

What phono stage are you using now then (which beat the EAR834P)?

What phono stage are you using now, then (which beat the EAR834P)?

One that unfortunately is now unavailable. :thumb: The "Phantom Audio" which was put out by Mike Kontor of Leading Edge Audio up until about 2005.

Regards,

Andy

He's still around you could get it made.

I doubt it, Dr GV. Yes he hasn't "left the building" (just living in retirement in country Victoria :thumb: ) but he told me he got rid of the remaining PCBs when he closed up his shop, about 5 years ago.

Regards,

Andy

• 1 month later...

The best cartridge i've ever heard in my system is the Ortofon Jubilee. I had two on the trot from the early 2000s and when they stopped making them i bought an Ortofon Cadenza Black which was the natural successor but i could never get into it the way i did the Jubilee so with the dollar so good against the euro i thought i'd pick up a new old stock Jubilee from Thacker. For $1200 it's an absolute bargain and mounted on the AS212S on the SME Model 20 is every bit as brilliant as i remember it being.

jubilee2.jpg

jubilee.jpg

The Cadenza is now on the Model 10 in the study.

cadenzastudy.jpg

The Phase Tech P-3 doesn't have a home alas. It's a fabulous cartridge when it's not mistracking but it has a very low compliance and needs a heavy arm. When funds allow i'll track down a Fidelity Research arm with an effective mass of a sack of spuds and i reckon it'll sing. Looks pretty though.

p3.jpg

• Like 1

The Phase Tech P-3 doesn't have a home alas. It's a fabulous cartridge when it's not mistracking but it has a very low compliance and needs a heavy arm. When funds allow i'll track down a Fidelity Research arm with an effective mass of a sack of spuds and i reckon it'll sing. Looks pretty though.

p3.jpg

Do you usually use the screws without the nuts to secure the cartridge to the headshell? :party

Nice close up pics of the cartridges.

Edited by jaspert

;)

Do you usually use the screws without the nuts to secure the cartridge to the headshell? :party

Nice close up pics of the cartridges.

It's magic! :)

That headshell has two recessed lines where the nuts sit. Usually i'd have the head of the bolts upwards but the P-3 is a bit of a pig to mount and this way is the easiest.

This photo of the headshell explains things

smeorto2.jpg