Paul Spencer

DIY audio: what are you building?

Here are a couple of speakers I've built and sold this year. A 12" three-way firstly, with a Coral midrange and unbranded other bits (!), and a 10" Peerless + Coral below. I have to keep selling to make room for the next build, and pay for more materials. Not done for profit, just for my own satisfaction as a retired guy with a history of music appreciation and as a retailer in the music and hifi world. It's hard parting with things that you've made sound just the way you like them, but that's the way it has to be! My next project will be underway soon, another biggish three-way model. Each one is different.

DSC_5779.JPG

DSC_5729.JPG

Edited by Spinnergeoff
clarify picture positioning

Nice build look flash. I build and sell for the same reasons as you. I build for myself and then after a while put them up for sale to pay for the next build. 

One of the two 6L6 SE UL amps I built a few months back is extremely quiet. My 15" Beyma concentrics are 99db effcient and even with my ear stuck right in the cone there is no him, buzz or hiss of any kind. I thought I would try it playing head phones.

I really felt I would hear a hum here through the phones but no, no hum, nothing, dead quiet. I used the ESP resistive network idea to break down the higher output voltage of a power amp (though only 2W) to drive the phones. The network presents 8ohms to the amp so it thinks it is driving speakers.

I found it a little shill on some tracks but excellent on others. The fact that it was absolutely dead quiet made me want to continue to listen but in the end I went back to my Oatley-Burson (V5i-D)  battery power portable triode headphone amp. The Burson chip makes this an extremely lush sounding portabl triode head phone amp and really hard to beat. But the experiment was worth while with mainly pleasing results. 

image.jpeg

The Prada box houses an ESP inspired two stage OPAMP preamp with OPA227 chips. It also has some Cornell Dubilier and Solen  audio caps and all 0.7mm solid silver wiring throughout. Alps Blue Velvet and solid brass knob.