Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

I thought I would start a fresh headphone thread because I couldn't see one.

Well people what headphone do you own and are you happy with them. One interesting thing I find is that in most cases people are happy with whatever headphone they own so I guess we will see if that holds true here.

My first decent set of headphones was a pair of Koss JCK 300's. Well they were an early cordless model so they suffered alot because of that but they were high end cordless when I really needed cordless so I loved them. 15 years later I never use them but I have stored them in mint condition.

One thing that really impressed me with the KOSS was that the sound stopped in 1 ear after around 10 years. A call to KOSS and they said we will fix them. I posted them back and afew weeks later got them back repaired under warranty. Great service.

The headphones I currently use mostly are my Senn HD 590's. I like them because they are comfortable, easy to drive and I think they sound good.

I also sometimes use a pair of Beyer 880's that I got for my girlfriend but I haven't bought an amp for them yet and have a hard time justifying an amp till I get myself some new headphones.

Well whats everyone else using?

Hi Radz,

I have a pair of Audiotechnica ATH-AD700's open headphones. These are used mainly on the computer. They don't provide much isolation, have limited bass response and aren't pretty but are easy to drive, comfortable to wear and sound decent.

Cheers,

Rift.

AKG 701. But I dont use them much at the moment.

Edit: I just remembered I have a pair of Bose noise cancelling hps. Used to use them when I was a very frequent flyer but now I dont fly anywhere thank goodness. Very bassy. Really only good for flying.

Etymotic ER4S

Perfect in bed, on a plane, at work.[/b]

Senn HD650, through the Benchmark DAC1, but not a lot of use currently

The idea of the Etymotics or the Shure version appeal to me for planes/work

I have some Sony noisecancellers but not that comfortable on the plane

Had a pair of mid priced Senn's but I wore them out. I didn't know HP's did that - the Senns lost all their HF very gradually :ohmy: . Mind you it took about 15 years to do that! :wacko:

Now use the Etymotic ER 4P's with the optional P-S conversion cable, best of both worlds.

Also have a couple of cheap noise-cancelling HP's by Sony and AKG. The Senn's new top line noise cancelling units look good - the next purchase maybe.

NFA

I'm using a pair of senn HD 600's whith either a Benchmark DAC 1 or Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 as a headphone amp. I also use a set of Senn HD 465 with a Notebook computer using a PCMCIA soundblaster Audigy card.

JDH.

I thought I would start a fresh headphone thread because I couldn't see one.

Well people what headphone do you own and are you happy with them. One interesting thing I find is that in most cases people are happy with whatever headphone they own so I guess we will see if that holds true here.

My first decent set of headphones was a pair of Koss JCK 300's. Well they were an early cordless model so they suffered alot because of that but they were high end cordless when I really needed cordless so I loved them. 15 years later I never use them but I have stored them in mint condition.

One thing that really impressed me with the KOSS was that the sound stopped in 1 ear after around 10 years. A call to KOSS and they said we will fix them. I posted them back and afew weeks later got them back repaired under warranty. Great service.

The headphones I currently use mostly are my Senn HD 590's. I like them because they are comfortable, easy to drive and I think they sound good.

I also sometimes use a pair of Beyer 880's that I got for my girlfriend but I haven't bought an amp for them yet and have a hard time justifying an amp till I get myself some new headphones.

Well whats everyone else using?[/b]

A nice mix of Headphones on here so far.

Your new setup Young Skywalker has me drooling. I can just imagine the enjoyment I would get if i could afford something like that.

The Senn 600's amd 650's seem pretty popular.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting some HD 650's for awhile now. Either them or the new Denon AH5000, although as the Denons become more available there popularity seems to be decreasing.

Sens 600.

Oh sh** I forgot about the Yamamoto headphone amp still in the cupboard :) must plug it in soon.[/b]

Hey Joz,

Chuck some Christmas paper and ribbon on it and just throw it under the tree and play dumb!!!!!!

Waited this long. No one will hold a grudge on Xmas day.

Tony C

Stax- Love them.

Best

JA[/b]

I have crap acoustics

Senn HD600 from CDP or via modded Antique Sound Lab MG-Head [valve] from Nick Bajenov, the importer - good sound

Stax SR-3 30 years young & still useable but newer models sound even better

Sony NC20 - active noise cancelling great for jet aircraft, crap for Sydney buses as LF phase error amplifies VLF. Sometimes a bit frightening when you can hear the airframe flexing on a bumpy flight.

Audio Technica - passive noise cancelling [in ear]

Sony ??? for walking the dogs

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Grado SR60's. Not high end, but good bang for the buck.

I was going to start a new thread but might bring it up here - I'm looking at buying some headphones as a Christmas present for my younger bro. He's no audiophile but I think something with good sound quality (obviously), something which has no "spillover" sound (so others in the room don't have to hear what he's listening to) and most of all, is lightweight and comfortable. Maybe something that drowns out background noise slightly (not the active noise models though, they seem bulky and too expensive). Looking to spend less than $100 - anyone know of any models?

AKG K1000s, Grado RS-1s, Etymotic ER4P + P-S cable X 2 (got second pair half price on ebay as backups :)) , Senn PX-100 + various others not used much anymore, my wife uses my noice cancelling JVCs on flights, I much prefer the Etys. The Etys get a lot of use, very portable, sound great, block out heaps of noise. Amps: Sugden headmaster, Benchmark DAC1, Headroom Total bit head (bought before there was so many other portable headphone amp options), EAR864P+Musical Fidelity A5cr (for the AKG 1000 ear speakers).

If I could only have one pair it would be the Etys, if only twopairs, the AKG K1000s and Etys.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Since Marc has graciously created a h/phone sub-forum

I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

- Senn HD455 w/ broken right ear piece

- Koss 75

- Westone UM2

- Senn HD650

and possibly an Ultrasone 780 some time soon.

k_