Jump to content
Paul Spencer

Econowave - looking for a tube friendly dynamic speaker?

Recommended Posts

Unfortunately DJCity does not sell the 8" version.

Yes perhaps I prefer the sound of metal driver and what I'm hearing might simply be paper cone characteristics. I need to hear more of these types of drivers, better the gedlee design.

What you are suggesting is actually my main speakers. Dipole bass + dipole mid + CD waveguide. They're "good enough" but the highs can be better if I can compromise on physical difficulties in installing a rear-firing waveguide (it would look fugly). The workaround now is 1) use only forward firing wg which sounds disconnected at times, or. 2) use rear firing dome which can sound fizzy.

Integrating dipole with monopole is difficult. It would transition from dipole => cardioid => monopole. Power response would be all over the place so I like it dipole all the way. I did not like H-frame and W-frames to, they are less natural.

Bass traps is quite unsightly, as you remember I can see through the windows when listening to the speakers :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big yes! Unsightly? That depends on how you build them and integrate into the room. Mine at the moment redefine fugly, but I have traps in mind that will simply look like part of the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56oval   
The more sensitive drivers are often paper and give the impression of less midrange detail

What crap have you been listening to :P .

CHeers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56oval   
Mal, I'd say the same thing even about some non-crap PHL drivers. Have you heard the Orions? That is one speaker I'd call detailed.

Beg's the question how can a speaker be too detailed:confused: :P .

I haven't heard the Orion's ,all of the OB speakers I've heard have been diy job's and I wasn't that convinced by them. I was going to build an OB but I couldn't afford the Raven R3 for the top end .

Theres a couple of other drivers I would like to try but the budget doesn't stretch that far .

Cheers

Edited by 56oval

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite easily ... note I said perceived detail. That could be as simple as extra distortion. I'm sure you've heard speakers before that were ruthless in revealing just how bad some recordings are. Others are more forgiving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56oval   
I'm sure you've heard speakers before that were ruthless in revealing just how bad some recordings are.

Who said it was the recording could of been the rest of the system . I want to hear worts & all ,I can't change the recording but I can live with good music .

Plus I've built in enough distortion device's between the front end and drivers :P .

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zog   

All I need is an Aluminium milling machine :P

silly question : why do you need a milling machine?

great colour by the way! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some decent recordings that get trashed on a more revealing system. I don't think what you are creating is the kind of ruthlessly revealing system that I would call "too much detail." To use a reference familiar to both of us, I would call TerryJ's system one that's in a good place in between extremes. Enough but not too much detail. I'm aiming for similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DQ828   
Beg's the question how can a speaker be too detailed:confused: :P .

I haven't heard the Orion's ,all of the OB speakers I've heard have been diy job's and I wasn't that convinced by them. I was going to build an OB but I couldn't afford the Raven R3 for the top end .

Cheers

That's because you spent all your money on amps ;)

My paper Saba sound beauutiful.

Bye the way what's happened to the amps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56oval   
I don't think what you are creating is the kind of ruthlessly revealing system that I would call "too much detail.".

We will find out one day ,but the only thing common between the 2 systems is driver manufacturer and the drivers aren't the same ,but I feel theres a family sound there with the drivers after hearing a couple of different speakers with the same drivers .

CHeers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56oval   
That's because you spent all your money on amps :P

Bye the way what's happened to the amps?

Hi DQ

The amount I'll end up spending on the speakers will come pretty close to the amps or maybe 80% of the cost and the other 20% I'll need to spend on the room .

I've been told the amps are sounding good I haven't heard them and just need a bit of tuning in the power supply's due to a couple of choke changes . Which is very good news considering its a new circuit .

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56oval   
silly question : why do you need a milling machine?

great colour by the way! ;)

Maybe to make something like this

YGKipodStudio-1.jpg

Alloys good :P.

CHeers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DQ828   
Hi DQ

The amount I'll end up spending on the speakers will come pretty close to the amps or maybe 80% of the cost and the other 20% I'll need to spend on the room .

I've been told the amps are sounding good I haven't heard them and just need a bit of tuning in the power supply's due to a couple of choke changes . Which is very good news considering its a new circuit .

Cheers

Where can I read about these speakers? I'm sure it will be interesting:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56oval   
Where can I read about these speakers? I'm sure it will be interesting:)

Not really just me typing more crap :).Its somewhere deep in the diy section ,need to pull my finger out and get the tweeter amps finished then I can glue the speaker cabs up .

Last night I was with Lucas fine tuning the midamp and he worked out the cap values I need in the amp for mid section ,time to buy some more caps .

What was very interesting was looking at blue prints for a feild coil CD for midrange .

CHeers

Edited by 56oval

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zog   

Col has the first air of paudio-waves nearing completion -

crossovers built up on some Soundtech crossover PCBs that were being sold at a good price at Parts Express. This pair intended for dual duty - quality listening / monitoring @ home that can be taken out and used as high quality party speakers

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2969&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2956&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2989&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2959&g2_serialNumber=4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zog   
You've been busy zog!

Col has been doing the build, though I helped work out the crossover values via some measurements.

I purchased a "lazy susan" turntable bearing from ebay - we will be getting stuck into some directivity plots once we bolt some bits of wood to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gee Emm   

My Dayton PA-310-8 woofers arrived today.

4 business days from America.:)

It can take a week to get stuff from Sydney to Melbourne! :(

So, now I have the CDs, the WGs, the xover parts and the woofers.

All I need to do now is build a box or 2. :P

I bet that bit takes longer than 4 business days. :hiccup

I like the look of those boxes Zog.

Where did you get the plan for those Zog?

Graham

Edited by mr-happy-pants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×