Build quality is wonderful on the Utopia but i personally would get a Stax setup.

Bare in mind theres rumour of a replacement for the 009 coming out soon (2018 is most likely).

I think its funny that when you've been in hifi for a really long time you notice some patterns.  Like when reading reviews of speakers (and headphones) the reviewer will often compare a new diaphragm/ driver/ speaker to a electrostatic as the gold standard.  

I think this hasn't changed.

I'm not sure of the moving mass of the Utopia's Beryllium diaphragm and moving elements but would guess its much heavier than the moving mass of the Stax electrostatic diaphragm (or any Electrostatic headphone diaphragm for that matter even the lowlier models).

Unlike Electrostatic speakers which i've always had a love / hate relationship with, electrostatic headphones seem to have all the advantages (super low moving mass, even and precise control of diaphragm) while also having wonderful bass and weight and texture and dynamics which seem to be issues with Electrostatic speakers trying to drive most listening rooms.

Either way you should end up with a beautiful headphone setup.

LPG

19 minutes ago, Toyboyo said:

Thank you all for the advice  ..the Stax 009 was vetoed by the other member of the Security Council due to recent budgetary extravagance in the turntable area. So now to a STAX 007 and STAX SRM007 valve amp as the lesser evil

I have the SR 007 MK1 and used to have the SRM007.

Amazing combo.

• 2 months later...