JBL 4435 resto

Guest jakeyb77

Guest jakeyb77
6 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Im sure by now you have absolutely have no intention to get anything other than genuine parts even if that means it becomes a long term project. It would be awesome for me to hear another pair in a different environment to mine as a point of reference so get on your bike and go grab them!

17 minutes ago, VanArn said:

Some of the aftermarket kits require the voice coils, spiders, braids and surrounds to be assembled by the repairer, which is not a proposition for an inexperienced person. There is also the difficulty of removing and  re-fitting the mass ring under the dust dome of the 2234H replacement cone (C8R2234).  I hope that the storms that caused damage to parts of Florida have not effected The Speaker Exchange to any degree.

I was hoping that the 800 bottles of red in my cellar may attract a more experienced person than I haha. 

3 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Another thing to add is one of the things I love about older JBL's is that there designed to be worked on like a vintage car. Everything is easily removable and replaceable as they were designed to be a workhorse and I find it amazing there still supporting 30yo+ models by making spare parts for them. Name another speaker manufacturer that does that.

ATC.....

34 minutes ago, MarkT said:

ATC.....

Sorry that comment I made about no other speaker manufacturers still making parts for old equipment comment probably came across somewhat elitist which was not intended at all as im sure there are others out there which is great news for those of us who use who own vintage gear :thumb:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jakeyb77 said:

I think they are suspended 

20170917_215152.png

Just looking at that pic again ad it looks to me they may be soffited into a wall as many were (see the gap around the edge). If thats the case you may have struck gold as its possible the walnut veneer and cabinet might be in top shape and if so i'll be extremely jealous of you as although mine were good there were still some imperfections requiring work :ohmy::lol:

Guest jakeyb77
5 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Just looking at that pic again ad it looks to me they may be soffited into a wall as many were (see the gap around the edge). If thats the case you may have struck gold as its possible the walnut veneer and cabinet might be in top shape and if so i'll be extremely jealous of you as although mine were good there were still some imperfections requiring work :ohmy::lol:

Shhhhhh lol

Ahh I see it now, in the original blurry picture I thought they had a recessed baffle but yes they do look soffit mounted.

Very excited for you.

You don't intend to sell the S4600's to make way for these....I wouldn't.

Guest jakeyb77

Hmmmm it seems an Ian has jumped into the mix. I have made an offer. I'm not going to budge. The owner has removed a woofer to inspect and dropped a drill through one. He has argued that there is four other drivers included. But as I pointed out all the foam surrounds are dead which probably means a full rebuild. That's not an extra. That's a liability. Then there's the fact the crossovers have never been capped etc. Oh and the active crossover has gone missing. Too many curve balls me thinks 

Definitely proceed with caution regarding the  price. Surrounds that have perished can cause the voice coils to scrape and this in turn can result in shorted turns. While  the surrounds can be replaced, the shorted turns condition requires replacement cone assemblies. The crossover networks are generally reliable with the exception of the "L" pads which can be intermittent if they are constantly re-adjusted. The capacitors are usually polyester types and are  thankfully of a tight  tolerance. These days , polypropylene capacitors would be the preferred replacement.

Guest jakeyb77
8 minutes ago, VanArn said:

Definitely proceed with caution regarding the  price. Surrounds that have perished can cause the voice coils to scrape and this in turn can result in shorted turns. While  the surrounds can be replaced, the shorted turns condition requires replacement cone assemblies. The crossover networks are generally reliable with the exception of the "L" pads which can be intermittent if they are constantly re-adjusted. The capacitors are usually polyester types and are  thankfully of a tight  tolerance. These days , polypropylene capacitors would be the preferred replacement.

Thanks. Yes I have referenced the fact that Nutz sold his for $5500. Maybe that was low. However if purchasing these ones I am factoring worse case. So I have factored four genuine re-cones and the rebuild if the crossovers. @erest may be able to help here. I wouldn't pay more than $3000. 

I'm happy to do the other work myself. He takes it or leaves it. I've had too many speaker headaches to bother. 

Guest jakeyb77

Ok so I got knocked back at my top offer of $3000. Info gleaned for anyone else. They are at Sing Sing studios in Melbourne. The drivers installed are not JBL. One is now busted also. There are the 4 original drivers that need repair. 

The passive crossovers are there but one time he mentioned hey may have been adjusted. Have at it folks 

Guest jakeyb77

The original ad asked $5500. 

Sorry, I should add that Kaj is a very nice gentleman. But that doesn't account for my budget. It can be a steep slope very quickly and I'd rather pay for a better pair with less worry. That's my end. He has his reasons for his price. 

Edited by jakeyb77

Jake,

Wise man. Stay away from them for this kind of money, especially with all the faults.

I had the 4430s, and could not get rid of them fast enough. Just a glorified PA speaker...of course my opinion only.

Look inside one, and you will understand what I mean...

26 minutes ago, erest said:

Jake,

Wise man. Stay away from them for this kind of money, especially with all the faults.

I had the 4430s, and could not get rid of them fast enough. Just a glorified PA speaker...of course my opinion only.

Look inside one, and you will understand what I mean...

I remember you saying that previously. Did you check to see if the diaphragms were original? You found them on the curbside so I wouldn't be surprised if they were $20 chinese copies.

To call them a glorified PA speaker is quite a stretch but to be honest it is exactly what I thought of the 4425's I had until I took the drivers apart only to find the diaphragms were rubbish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kelossus said:

I am questioning Erest as to what he used to power the 4430's.

Ahh yes ok.

And for the record everyone has different priorities in what there looking for sound wise and thats cool but personally for me the 4435's have sailed closer to the sound I like more than anything else for reasonable money.