App scams

my mobile phone account has a mirrored data sim that I use on my iPad. this from the outset was given to me by optus and costs me nothing not needing to pay a separate data account just to run the iPad when out of wireless range. and nothing i have ever spent to run this data sim as long as stay between the rather generous data allowance on it

well much to my surprise I noted my phone bill go up a tad month before last... only $9 didnt think much of it then last month it went up $44 so I decided to investigate 

well much to buy surprise when looking at my account this datas sim had $9 next to it month before last and last month had $44 next to it...where never has any money been charged next to it

so rung optus and they tell me. oh yes sir that is content services. I ask them what is content services... they say ... oh its some app or service you have enabled on what ever is using your data card ?

I tell her I have never asked for content services or enables anything to be charging my data card ? she then tells me related probably to some app you are using that is charging content ???? but what ever it is she says she can block it and also refund back the amounts ! 

lucky I checked ! 

the only apps we can think of are some child games my daughter has downloaded and some off them say they contain "in app purchases" and by using one of them quite possibly you also agree to this "content service charges" ! personally i cant believe this is even possible. my daughter cant download anything her self as requires myself or wife to put in a pass word to allow it. but you would think if there were any actually charging somehow through the data card they would actually ask and require permission with a pass word or some such ?

we have at this point deleted all of her kids apps off the iPad and we are not downloading anything which allows "in app purchases" daughter also knows and is being a lot more choosey from the outset.....

so a bit of a watch out... look out for "in app purchases" and if have a data card on your iPad or what ever .... something to look out for and keep check on.

what i dont understand is how on earth they have worked out a way of charging you without asking via data cards. bloody scammers ! 

• Like 1

Yup! I hate apps, i removed all i could on my phone and some I couldn't because it was a telstra phone and it needs to be rooted to be able to remove others.

Pays to check what privileges the app takes before downloading, but are there some maybe that will without it being under the list when looking at them in the play store?

Good on Optus for blocking and refunding, good information for the rest of us :thumb:

Edit: ah, no they just change it to your carrier and it ends up on the bill from ya' carrier..

I agree, dodgy as.

Edited by Muon N'

Yep,

had the the same thing happen many moons ago with you guess it; Optus....

somewhow the Boss was complaining about no credit after refilling $30 after a few days.   When quiried Optus, and account was activated to deduct $5.00 a day for the subscription that she didn't even approved.  No wonder in 6 days there was no credit!   Got Optus to unsubscribe and also like you had the credit reinstated, however they didn't reinstate the previous $30.   

Now days I don't even see my bill or details for my bill, the company overseas that and any over usage I'd probably have to pay the difference.

yeah definitely keep and eye on useage and extra billing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

Yea Al we def have to be on our guard mate with some of these companies as they will make life as hard as they can for us in the name of the dollar.

Yes DB, its one thing where know what up for and agree to pay but to be just being charged for this kind of thing unbeknown to self is pretty under handed I reckon. and who the heck reads all the terms and conditions of this stuff some of it goes for pages 

the $50+ wasted on whatever this was id rather spend at our local malaysian cafe and would do a nice family meal for the money ! or a very nice bottle of wine or slab of beer.

ha e to be so wary. and yeah @Addicted to music my bill just direct debits, part of business expenses and something pretty static with unlimited phone calls and usually well within the generous data so really surprised me. its a worry there is literally zero visibility about the charges... as just shows up on the data only sim as a charge. dont still know even what it was that was doing the deduction or would report to apple ! 

anyways have to keep on the watch out from now on :) 

• Like 1

Sometimes I get the feeling that some of these major telecommunication companies think we are charity organisations.Its just paperwork to these people and they see it as nothing more.They go through the motions only and no thought into anything but helping run the show for someone else.Its a hell of a lot different when you run a business yourself and are doing all the work on a much smaller basis as the room for error is not so great because at the end of the day we have ourself to answer to.Some people can sleep at night and some can't.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, :) al said:

Yes DB, its one thing where know what up for and agree to pay but to be just being charged for this kind of thing unbeknown to self is pretty under handed I reckon. and who the heck reads all the terms and conditions of this stuff some of it goes for pages 

the $50+ wasted on whatever this was id rather spend at our local malaysian cafe and would do a nice family meal for the money ! or a very nice bottle of wine or slab of beer.

ha e to be so wary. and yeah @Addicted to music my bill just direct debits, part of business expenses and something pretty static with unlimited phone calls and usually well within the generous data so really surprised me. its a worry there is literally zero visibility about the charges... as just shows up on the data only sim as a charge. dont still know even what it was that was doing the deduction or would report to apple ! 

anyways have to keep on the watch out from now on :) 

You're right, it's no time detailed in the billing.    

The boss has "My Optus" app loaded and that won't detailed "content services"   All it tells you at an instant is the data you have used and duration of international calls in minutes used.  Obviously these days with Optus plans are now unlimited talk and text.   In the app "My Optus" details nothing about content services.   At the end of the month, they send you an ebill in PDF.  And by that time it's too late to track.   

With data you have to watched things like "Locational Service " being switched on.  With company issued phones like mind they reimage the phone/tablet with there modified IOS and locational Service cannot be switched OFF.    This tells HQ exactly where you are!  And is consistantly clocking up data usage.  

Whats funny is when the $5:00 a day was being deducted out of the bosses account was that she was using a Nokia 3310 analog phone!  You can't even activate apps or services on it! 

• Like 2