Richter Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

15 hours ago, muon* said:

I had some pics of them from the Wizard Mkll's

Inductors are very thin wire and both ends are twisted together a number of times at the inductor before going their respective ways, wire on the bobbins are not all that neatly wound either.

Tweeter cap is passable but nothing to get excited about.

There is one inductor for the tweeter and one each for the two mid bass drivers.

The Mkll Wizards used all Audax drives,  mid woofers are one of the 170 models, can't recall exact models, same mid woofer model as used in the Mkll Harlequin.

So it appears that commercial pressures may have come to bear on the quality of the crossovers in the intervening years.

Not surprising.   I've found average looking inductors and bi-polar electros in a number of brands where I expected better.  Most shoppers would be none the wiser.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi all,

I had a listen to the Wizard 6 SE's the other day, up against Wharfedale Evo 4.4s and Lintons, and the Wizards came out on top for me...  Is there anything else in a similar price brackets (ideally lower!) you'd recommend checking out? 

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just found this site and the Richter section, I have Wizard MK 1's that were bought from Len Wallace in Lane Cove just before I returned to the UK in early 1994 and they are working and sounding and looking brilliant, money well spent I reckon. I have often wondered how many there are in the UK, not a lot I reckon

4 hours ago, gordon thompson said:

Hi, just found this site and the Richter section, I have Wizard MK 1's that were bought from Len Wallace in Lane Cove just before I returned to the UK in early 1994 and they are working and sounding and looking brilliant, money well spent I reckon. I have often wondered how many there are in the UK, not a lot I reckon

I assume the foam surrounds on the woofers are still intact! 

There was a special coating that Richter devised that didn't compromise the sound, but prevented the foam from breaking down like it did in so many other speakers.

And the doping on the woofer cones doesn't seem to age either.  The doping produces a rolloff slope that makes for a simpler crossover design, which in turn minimises phase and timing errors.  The design has really stood the test of time.

My Oracles are the same vintage, and like yours, they are still sounding and looking great in every respect.

They do run out of steam in the low bass compared to my other speakers, but your Wizard's have the additional mid-woofer to overcome that, so It's understandable that you've stuck with them for so long.

And welcome aboard.

thanks for the replies and the Foam Surrounds look good as new and I have no intensions of replacing them but all my gear is old but starting to replace things as and when funds allow, my wife bought me a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable for my 70th Birthday and I bought an Audiolab 6000CDT and hope to get the 6000A amp sometime, at the moment I am listening to Tex, Don and Charlie 'All is Forgiven' and I think it sounds brilliant but Tex Perkins/ Cruel Sea cannot do anything wrong and I will be coming to Australia to see my kids for a month so hopefully will be on the lookout for bargains, we were over to Newcastle on November 2019 and could not believe how expensive Australia has got since I lived there but I do love it there

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gordon thompson said:

thanks for the replies and the Foam Surrounds look good as new and I have no intensions of replacing them but all my gear is old but starting to replace things as and when funds allow, my wife bought me a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable for my 70th Birthday and I bought an Audiolab 6000CDT and hope to get the 6000A amp sometime, at the moment I am listening to Tex, Don and Charlie 'All is Forgiven' and I think it sounds brilliant but Tex Perkins/ Cruel Sea cannot do anything wrong and I will be coming to Australia to see my kids for a month so hopefully will be on the lookout for bargains, we were over to Newcastle on November 2019 and could not believe how expensive Australia has got since I lived there but I do love it there

Sounds like the system is coming together very nicely.  The Audiolab gear is so well engineered.  I had the 8000A and 8000T combination in the living room in our previous home.

Got plenty of Cruel Sea in my collection, but I really should get that Tex, Don & Charlie album as well. Thanks for the reminder!