JB HiFi's advertising

i ordered my movie from JB HiFi being "Van Helsing" in 4k and before i ordered it i checked to see if it was in 240.1 aspect ratio and found that it was due to the advertisement on the JB Hi Fi website, but when i got it got delivered after it was bought and payed for i noticed on the cover that it was only in 185.1. I have a scope screen and looked forward to it being in full scope as it was one off the reasons i purchased that movie.If you take a look at the link that i purchased it from and click on details, we can clearly see it is advertised at 240.Ah why?:)https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/action/van-helsing/464472/

Edited by drummerboy01

Bugger... I have found JB's info on individual movies useless and often incorrect.

It's always best to check the specs on each title... I guess we've all been burnt a few times on a quick purchase, me mostly instore. Ended up with a few bare bones titles without realising there were other releases with extras or a directors cut etc.

JSmith :ninja:

• Love 1

2 hours ago, JSmith said:

Bugger... I have found JB's info on individual movies useless and often incorrect.

It's always best to check the specs on each title... I guess we've all been burnt a few times on a quick purchase, me mostly instore. Ended up with a few bare bones titles without realising there were other releases with extras or a directors cut etc.

JSmith :ninja:

Actually it's the first time I have noticed this,as if I never had a scope screen then I would not have caught on to it.Its just amazing how these bigger companies can get away with little things like this but if it were you or I wrongly advertising ,then we would be slayed alive.The movie was still great but I think there is an underlying principle here that should be heeded,and that is , what is described in the details should be what we should be getting for the advertised price.My brother works in consumer affairs and told me to give them a call at the head office to see what they have to say about it.Interesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swervyn said:

just asking, not sure what you mean by "scope screen" but is the issue that you wanted the movie to play fullscreen on your screen and instead it has the letterbox effect? thanks

Yea I was expecting to fill the whole of my screen with the movie using the lens shift on my projector and could have If the movie was produced in a 240.1 aspect ratio like it was advertised on their website.I have a 130 inch CinemaScope screen.The topic is actually what they are advertising is not what the disc comes with.

• Like 1

I rang  my local Jb Hifi store and told them about this problem yesterday and spoke to a manager requesting contact details of someone in charge of their advertising online.They wanted to give me the contact details of universal pictures in regards to this problem.I said well the problem does not lay with universal pictures as on the packaging it states clearly down the bottom of it that the movie has been produced in 185.1 aspect ratio, so why would I need their contact details especially after the fact that I am not giving them my money or have no dealings with them whatsoever and this is after the fact that i and the manager were looking at the same jb hifi advertisement on the web.So I asked him again can you give me the contact details of anyone in charge of their online advertising or at least point me in the right direction.Then I was told that they are not allowed to give that information out to the public.So I said that's ok then I will contact consumer affairs and let them do the searching for me. Then I received an answer to my question and was given the details.This really is no big deal to me but I refuse to let these companies push me around when I know darn right what's going on.Passing the buck on another company which is totally innocent and has nothing to do with this problem, so how grubby is that not to mention wanting me to chase my tail.I will be sending an email to them tomorrow now that I have got the details of the correct department.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2017 at 11:07 AM, drummerboy01 said:

before i ordered it i checked to see if it was in 240.1 aspect ratio and found that it was due to the advertisement on the JB Hi Fi website

In future you could always check a site like blu-ray.com before purchasing. :console:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, towanda said:

In future you could always check a site like blu-ray.com before purchasing. :console:

That's an entirely practical way of protecting yourself and is to be encouraged. It could save a lot of tears in the future.

However...................if a business is advertising a product in any way, shape or form the prospective purchaser is entitled to expect to receive the item as advertised. If there is a difference between what's advertised and what is delivered it should be the responsibility of the vendor to supply the advertised goods.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, towanda said:

Yep will do as i was thinking the exact same thing. I am a member of that forum and was browsing it yesterday while looking at some of my own Theater pics and my bluray list and noticed the great info there.Would love this forum to do something like that as i would also make a contribution to help with the time spent by whoever organizes it.Actually it is quicker to sort through my blurays on that site rather  than walking up to my rack and trying to choose what to watch from there.:) But having said that it would be great to be able to trust your retailer to do the right thing by correcting the error because after being in business as long as they have and listening to other reports of things worse than this happening they know darn well how to fix it.

1 hour ago, JukKluk2 said:

That's an entirely practical way of protecting yourself and is to be encouraged. It could save a lot of tears in the future.

However...................if a business is advertising a product in any way, shape or form the prospective purchaser is entitled to expect to receive the item as advertised. If there is a difference between what's advertised and what is delivered it should be the responsibility of the vendor to supply the advertised goods.

Agreed. I have ran my own plastering business for just on 38 years and if i go and have a look at a job and let my customer know how much it will cost them to get the job done and tell them what they get for their money then i am liable to give them what is stated on the quote or even verbally. JB hiFi have it all written down on the website so for the life of me i can not understand why they do this.It just makes good business sense to do it right because they have the ability to do so, and what is it going to cost them.Nothing.If it were me i would value the feedback and be jumping out of my skin to fix it.:)

14 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

JB hiFi have it all written down on the website so for the life of me i can not understand why they do this.

Most probably there is some form of disclaimer hidden within the website, in print so small that not even a microbe with eyes could read it, stating that if they get things wrong then, ultimately, tough biscuits buddy.

• Like 1

Most consumers think that our rights are limited but in fact we have more rights than the average consumer thinks.There is a lot of bull crap going on in the  retail industry as in my own building industry and it makes me wonder how a system like this can sustain itself.Also, one reason why it does is because people can not be bothered to speak out and let these companies know about even the little things which matter.These companies are not that clever when it comes to the crunch and most are in fact bull crap artists.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drummerboy01 said:

So I asked him again can you give me the contact details of anyone in charge of their online advertising or at least point me in the right direction.Then I was told that they are not allowed to give that information out to the public.

this is something really annoyed me in store when I wasnt happy with their service in fact actually of the manager. he was pretty appalling realy. I asked if i could speak to his manager. to which got told he cant do that. I said well am happy to do that just give me his details. again told cant do that. I told him i would leave my details and get the manager to call me. and was told cant do that either. so asked what am supposed to do and was told to leave feed back on the website.

the website is stupid you leave feedback and i left some detailed specifics and you get an auto response that someone will contact you ladada. well no one ever did. I no longer visit the store in question. plenty of other stores about, just go to another store where there isn't a inept manager incharge.

if i had the time and energy id track down a manger above, its pretty easy to do that sort of these things these days even if he didnt want to give me details and their feedback system doesnt work. anyways their loss and likely they still have a poor manager incharge of a store.

• Like 3

On 9/17/2017 at 10:46 AM, drummerboy01 said:

Passing the buck on another company which is totally innocent and has nothing to do with this problem, so how grubby is that not to mention wanting me to chase my tail.I will be sending an email to them tomorrow now that I have got the details of the correct department.

Hate that **** and its totally illegal. You work with the people you bought the unit from and advertised it as such.

17 hours ago, :) al said:

this is something really annoyed me in store when I wasnt happy with their service in fact actually of the manager. he was pretty appalling realy. I asked if i could speak to his manager. to which got told he cant do that. I said well am happy to do that just give me his details. again told cant do that. I told him i would leave my details and get the manager to call me. and was told cant do that either. so asked what am supposed to do and was told to leave feed back on the website.

the website is stupid you leave feedback and i left some detailed specifics and you get an auto response that someone will contact you ladada. well no one ever did. I no longer visit the store in question. plenty of other stores about, just go to another store where there isn't a inept manager incharge.

if i had the time and energy id track down a manger above, its pretty easy to do that sort of these things these days even if he didnt want to give me details and their feedback system doesnt work. anyways their loss and likely they still have a poor manager incharge of a store.

Yep, as in my case the problem is just small being the aspect ratio which they mis informed us consumers, but what makes it a big deal is their stupidity to the consumer giving people the run around and telling lies.Thats what gets up my nose and to be honest Why do it.I am pretty sure I can live with a 1.85.1 aspect ratio but I find it harder to live and tolerate total ignorance just like a typical politician that does not want to shame his face. It seems that these companies are never wrong,just us consumers, or that we should get over it and move on for the sake of them.It makes me laugh sometimes.But hey, it's something to talk about so I am getting something for my money.Never mind it will go away.Sarcasm intended:) 

5 hours ago, JSmith said:
43 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Hate that **** and its totally illegal. You work with the people you bought the unit from and advertised it as such.

Dead right Wimbo as it's not rocket science and it would show that they are reliable.Communication is a huge quality in business which should never ever be ignored.Agreed mate.

one thing for sure, they better buck up their ideas on what customer service is or even simple things like product listings. amazon will be here before they know it. already have a huge warehouse purchased in dandenong in vic (ex bunnings distribution centre) so just matter of time. Amazon could chew them up and spit them out and teach them a thing or two about customer service. 

it goes without saying as a business these days, if you dont listen to the voice of the customer ... your days are numbered....

pages_tearing_off_calendar_md_wm.gif

• Like 1

Just now, :) al said:

one thing for sure, they better buck up their ideas on what customer service is or even simple things like product listings. amazon will be here before they know it. already have a huge warehouse purchased in dandenong in vic (ex bunnings distribution centre) so just matter of time. Amazon could chew them up and spit them out and teach them a thing or two about customer service. 

it goes without saying as a business these days, if you dont listen to the voice of the customer ... your days are numbered....

pages_tearing_off_calendar_md_wm.gif

Fair point but I also feel Amazon relies heavily on the user reviews and information which is a bit of luxury in Australia.