Aurum Cantus F620 speakers

Ok, I recieved my Aurum Cantus F620 speakers from@cobar53 and have hooked them up. I don't yet have anything to stop the speaker spikes scratching my wood floors so they've temporarily been removed. I'm not sure how that will affect the sound.

Initial listening seems to indicate that the speakers love my existing system with music seemingly appearing out of nowhere. These are some fantastic, transparent sounding speakers and so far seem a step up from my B&W DM16 speakers.

Seemingly not an enormous amount of bass though what is there is nicely integrated. Possibly due to removal of the spikes?

Worst case scenario is I hook my Wharfedale sub back up. We'll see.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I got a set of isoacoustics isolation feet from Sydney HiFi for my Wyndham Audio BR1's. Not particularly cheap, but they are ideal for hard floors to prevent movement and marking, and they made a big improvement to bottom end dynamics. FWIW [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I havnt heard either of the speakers. If it's the same experience I often found when going from a nice vintage conventional cone and box speaker to a modern one the transparency seemed to get better, which is probably a reflection of modern day speaker design and voicing advantages in generally, but not always.

I've heard that series of B&W tweeter which seemed to be smooth sounding but not overly detailed and transparent. The AC with its ribbon tweeter should be very detailed and transparent sounding as ribbons can be and matched well with the midrange driver would be very good. 

It could also be down to the different voicing balance of the two speakers, generally when there is more bass the detail may be less prominent or noticed.

I like the look of the B&W DM16, chunky sealed cabinet, 3 way design. Perhaps replacing the tweeter crossover caps with ultra high quality ones might improve detail and transparency a little more. The woven Kevlar midrange looks capable and appears similar to the 801 series driver unit of that same vintage. The 801f midrange is very good but let down by the tweeter.

Edited by Al.M

Yes, these image far better than the B&W's and are incredible with well recorded content. They seem less efficient though than their specs would suggest. Very nice and transparent though which seems a fantastic march for my Oldchen K3 amp which also tends to transparency.... My Phillips GP922 is living up to its promise with these speakers in the chain.

For everything they do well, I suspect I'm still going to miss the big, room filling sound of the B&W DM16's

Matt, my OCD is wanting to bring that right one in to the same distance from the cabinet as the left one :fear:

I know you are restricted in placement, still bugs me ;)

Nice looking speakers IMO.

I do like accurate aspects in a cart, balance yeah, but it still needs to grab me emotionally as i think that one would do with myself...at a guess from the short listen.

The Empire 4000  had everything I could ask for when you gave me one that time, did most things better than my 2M Bronze did , but it couldn't grab me emotionally where in my system the Bronze did (even with correct loading). That aspect at least for myself normally comes in the mid-range, vocals need to convey that emotional aspect for me otherwise I end up wandering. I still regard the Empire as an amazing cart as it does so much very well.

Could also be system dependent of course.

Edited by Muon N'
Typos, I should proof read before posting :)

I still love the Empire 4000.... I think of my modified Grace F8L as a very similar cart, though with better bass and impact. Narrower sound stage than the Empire, though to be fair very few carts have that kind of channel separation. Pickering does.

• 6 months later...

I've a Quad 405 copy that should arive this week. Will see if it's capable of driving these speakers which should prove interesting. The original 405 had a protection circuit for the Quad speakers it was intended to drive so good for 8 ohms only. There is no information of reviews out there to indicate whether the clones are a bit more capable with most speakers. I suspect so as they'll likely have zero protection circuitry. If they do work well, I may upgrade with some dada 405-2 boards down the track. I'm planning ahead for if we manage rugrats and have to put all my tube gear away. Should be an interesting experiment anyway.