Marantz 2017-2018 range

4 hours ago, petetherock said:

The SR 8012 looks really solid!

Made in Japan, no less!

However the key limitations are still there

Yes Pete ; if you want 9.1.6 it needs the latest analog devices griffin lite chipset ; that is ; something like this pre pro pcb vvv which has 2 of them and more horsepower than last gen falcon chips :thumb: Its rather strange they persist with all those stupid analog video sockets but it does look impressive :)

1 hour ago, powerav said:

Yeah probably but the new room where this will be going will be half the size of my previous one so shouldn't need the extra grunt but time will tell.

Power isn't about volume, it helps with dynamics, or if you have more difficult to drive speakers, like Dynaudios..

If I get the SR 8012, I may be able to sell off my Rotel 1585..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why are they saying that it can only do 5.2.4 labelling on the rear is 7..4? Does anyone use passive subs?

I'm looking for a powered receiver, and if it can do 11 channels of non sub for an Atmos setup, I'm in. If it can only do 9, I'm out.

7 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Why are they saying that it can only do 5.2.4 labelling on the rear is 7..4? Does anyone use passive subs?

I'm looking for a powered receiver, and if it can do 11 channels of non sub for an Atmos setup, I'm in. If it can only do 9, I'm out.

The 7012 has a 9 ch power amp ; the 8012 has 11 for 7.1.4 capability with the obligatory powered sub for the lfe channel :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Ah. Doh... Ok so I'm now considering between that and the Denon.

If you can stretch to 5k Ide consider the anthem MRX1120 as well for its ARC and multiple per input presets :winky: Depending on auditioning if practical of course . 

• Like 1

Looking inside the Denon and Marana gives me a better feeling on the seriousness of the amplifiers with the modular vertical boards per channel, as opposed to in general them looking like an afterthought. I'm no expert though.

They aren't in the 11 channel range. Maybe I should sgo back to thinking about 7.1.2 or 5.1.4....

2 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Looking inside the Denon and Marana gives me a better feeling on the seriousness of the amplifiers with the modular vertical boards per channel, as opposed to in general them looking like an afterthought. I'm no expert though.

They aren't in the 11 channel range. Maybe I should sgo back to thinking about 7.1.2 or 5.1.4....

its a lot of compromise fitting such a lot of amplification inside one casing on top of pre amp stage switching video capability, streaming, media playback etc etc.

if considering less channels rather than 5.1.4, id go 7.1.2 if can fit in. and if can stretch and fit in definitely consider 7.1.4 if not wanting to use amps in the AVRS, most of these avrs have pre outs so can always use some external ones. its not hard to improve on built in amps in most avrs :) all something can add over time as well.

• Like 1

Yes Al 7.1.2 is more logical than 5.1.4 as the bed channels are more important for immersion than ceilings imo , Apart from the number of 7.1 lossless mastered tracks available :cool:

Just say this in relation to the amp channels Mobe ; the Marantz is more traditional class a/b ; the Anthem has a clever combination of class a/b and class d which run more efficiently with less heat hence the heat sinks crammed into the Marantz... 

As channel counts inevitably go up in avr's class d amps may be the future to cram things in ; Anthem has already lost the analog video sockets to help a bit :)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, petetherock said:

Call me a purist, but I like my amps to be A, or AB.

For 5k, I would like someone to turn up at my home to set it up for me :)

Pete ; at least make that class a/b a class g or h like Arcam for better efficiency :popcorn:

14 minutes ago, cwt said:

Pete ; at least make that class a/b a class g or h like Arcam for better efficiency :popcorn:

arcam sure seem to have the amp side worked out... though even they dont try squishing in 11 channels in the same chassis :D and stick to  more sensible 7 channels and honestly rate them. no matter have one of the beefiest power supplies as well.

• Like 1

So if you wanted 11 channel amped then, is there a concensus around here? I must admit I've not looked into Anthem before. Price wise and prior experience, I've honestly lived with Onkyo for years and had no real issues, so am even considering the RZ3100 again. My movie room is only 3.6x4.8, I don't really like anything too loud, so I'm not too worried about needing a high amount of power per channel.

I'm wiring for 7.1.4. I'm shortly getting the extra speakers I want at a good price and am deciding if I should get another pair. And have to decide on a receiver