Sign in to follow this  
m0usju1c3

Passive soundbar not providing sound L/R image

Hi All, new here love the site. 

I have a Paradigm Millenia 20 Trio Passive Soundbar hooked up to a Yamaha rxv381 amp, the bar sounds amazing and has a lot of power and clarity but my only issue (which I was warned about) is that I don't hear enough separation from L & R channels, they're all too close together.

Long storey short, Mrs wasn't happy at all with 3 separate channels, in walls, slims or satellites so I went with the passive soundbar option and agreed to only bring out the surrounds when watching movies etc at night, which is fair enough because we have 2 kids under 3 and it's the family room after all. 

So I've been doing some research and thought of the idea of adding tweeters in series to the L & R channels and placing them subtly somewhere around/behind on the far ends of my TV unit, just so I can at least get a decent separation and actually hear stuff distinctively from L & R. I've posted a picture of my setup. The living, dining and kitchen is a big open area, which doesn't help with my issue. I really regret buying the soundbar after all this and just wish I did more convincing to my wife for at least the Paradigm Cinema CT or Millenia 3.0 speakers. All input is welcomed and I appreciate your help. 

20170914_085420.jpg

I've had a better idea, building a new and longer cabinet. Would the sound differ if going from aluminium to timber casing? 

Kaynin   

Unfortunately the only imaging a soundbar will produce is that of burning money...

Having said that, they're better than TV speakers, but you won't get any imaging, not matter what cabinet it's on.

If I make the cabinet same length as the TV unit and locate the front drivers towards the edges, surely it would? When I had book shelves on edge of TV unit it gave off image. 

Kaynin   
4 hours ago, m0usju1c3 said:

If I make the cabinet same length as the TV unit and locate the front drivers towards the edges, surely it would? When I had book shelves on edge of TV unit it gave off image. 

I feel like I'm being punked...

Book shelves are not a sound bar.

Yes true they aren't, but I meant at least with a new longer cabinet and re locating the front drivers at the far ends of the cabinet (essentially same location as where the bookshelves were), it would do a similar job in separating the front 3 channels.