The case for DIY.

G'day all, I caught up with an old friend from the US online last night and we spent some time chatting.  We share a common interest in audio stuff and DIY and he was telling me about his latest completed audio project, a very nice set of three way loudspeakers.  They are mostly of his own design and he reports excellent general performance. 

His wood/metal working skills are much superior to mine and his workmanship is superb.  I only wish that mine were a quarter as good (which they are not, sadly)!  The conversation got me thinking about the whole subject of DIY and what can be achieved.  We have some very talented people here at stereonet.com and I'm quietly proud of my own DIY efforts with audio electronics, and as I commented elsewhere recently, my best DIY efforts are excellent and better than commercial equivalents.

I am only too glad that the present electronics state of the art makes superb DIY efforts possible, if not (relatively) easy!  :thumb:  Regards, Felix.   

DIY is a positive for the individual, even if not for the various companies that supply the market. As an individual you can learn, experiment, improve skills, and ultimately (as I have done) build speakers (and other components, some of which require more electrical qualifications!) which satisfy your own needs for a sense of achievement or a particular sound that pleases you. If you don't have to cost your own time and labour, there are benefits in the price sphere as well. But it's not something to go into with too little time, knowledge, or money. There's scope for expenditure of all those things. I've found it a very rewarding hobby as a retired person after  a longish period in the hifi industry. 

• Like 2

http://www.diyaudio.com is pretty much the place for most DIY audio and very international too which I spend an equal amount of time browsing. 

DIY helps to greatly demystify much of the audio marketing hype and understand more about the true costs and parts that go into making things and makes one less vulnerable.

DIY is not for the majority of people for a number of reasons such as effort, skills and knowledge, resale etc. Depending on how you go about and where you get the DIY design from it can be possible to build your own "equivalent" speaker for less than 10% the rrp of the commercial price, at least in appearance and parts terms depending on how pricey and complex the commercial equivalent is.

Edited by Al.M

While i don't agree with some generally accepted ideas over there, I do visit often as it is a great technical resource regardless of that personal view I have on some things..

9 minutes ago, Noum said:

While i don't agree with some generally accepted ideas over there, I do visit often as it is a great technical resource regardless of that personal view I have on some things..

The main country contributors on DIYaudio.com are usually from Europe (Germany, Scandinavia, Italy, Poland and Czech), N America and reasonable amount from Aust, a few from India and some other places and it's good to see a wider range of views with a much greater reach and captive audience.

SNA and DIYaudio.com are very different audiences obviously, except that the DIY section of SNA are of similar people.

5 minutes ago, Al.M said:

The main country contributors on DIYaudio.com are usually from Europe (Germany, Scandinavia, Italy, Poland and Czech), N America and reasonable amount from Aust, a few from India and some other places and it's good to see a wider range of views with a much greater reach and captive audience.

SNA and DIYaudio.com are very different audiences obviously, except that the DIY section of SNA are of similar people.

Yes, they have that wide dispersal of members, have noticed.

I get a lot here, and like the social side here, and visit over there for tech' coverage if nothing here. And they cover a wide range of tech' areas and often you can find thread specific ones on the piece of kit you are also looking at.

Though I'm a 80/20 objective/subjective so not my main place. That 20% doesn't go down well when you are as opinionated as I can be ;)

Still i like that It's there and there are some good guys there too.