JVC autocal

It's been a while, but from memory, I believe you can only use a "Standard" ( ie non-Custom) colour profile when doing an Autocal, otherwise the Gamma cal will not work and you will get a "-" error in the plot.

So in your case you would need to do Autocal using the X5900's "HDR" colour profile. But I would think there is nothing to stop you uploading Manni's BT2020-NF into a custom slot and selecting it once you've done the the Autocal. I believe Manni reported about a 7-10% difference in the coverage of DCI-P3  on his X7000 which has the Reference filter between BT2020 and BT2020-NF, so seeing as the X5900 doesn't have the filter I'm not sure you'll be able to see too much.

But , if I were you I've give it a shot anyway, as uploading a custom colour profile using Autocal is quick and painless. Then you can use your eyes to see whether you prefer JVC's "HDR" or Manni's BT2020-NF.

4 minutes ago, IMDave said:

It's been a while, but from memory, I believe you can only use a "Standard" ( ie non-Custom) colour profile when doing an Autocal, otherwise the Gamma cal will not work and you will get a "-" error in the plot.

So in your case you would need to do Autocal using the X5900's "HDR" colour profile. But I would think there is nothing to stop you uploading Manni's BT2020-NF into a custom slot and selecting it once you've done the the Autocal. I believe Manni reported about a 7-10% difference in the coverage of DCI-P3  on his X7000 which has the Reference filter between BT2020 and BT2020-NF, so seeing as the X5900 doesn't have the filter I'm not sure you'll be able to see too much.

But , if I were you I've give it a shot anyway, as uploading a custom colour profile using Autocal is quick and painless. Then you can use your eyes to see whether you prefer JVC's "HDR" or Manni's BT2020-NF.

Thank you for the reply. I think you are right might as well give it a go. I was just concerned the profile was not compatible with my unit but from what you said I gather it should work on any JVC. Is that correct?

Edited by Zeroasylum

5 minutes ago, Zeroasylum said:

Thank you for the reply. I think you are right might as well give it a go. I was just concerned the profile was not compatible with my unit but from what you said I gather it should work on any JVC. Is that correct?

Sure. After all a custom generated profile is just a series of "targets" on a plot. If the targets are "wrong", then the colours will be skewed and things just won't look right. If you don't like what you see and revert back to the defaults. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.;)

bt2020.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Im using the Spyder 5 Express and attempting to do the Autocal on DLA-X5900, but every time i run it, the results all show up as "ERROR" and whilst running the autocal, all x y values are 0.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my hands on a Spyder 5! Man it was hard to find

Any recommendations for a tripod? I have a old mic stand that I have been using for my Umik1, don’t think it will hold the Spyder though.

• 1 month later...

I ran Auto Cal for the first time on my x7900 a few weeks ago.

I found that I had to get the meter very close to the projector (about 1 meter) to get the meter on the right border of the box as recommended.

I was surprised at how close it was and how much I had to elevate the tripod to get it in line with the center of the projector lense. Does that sound right or have I done something wrong with the setup?

The color in the project seems quite flat now. I loaded Javs curves and HDR is a massive difference!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I ran auto cal for my NX7 for the first time today and all went smoothly with zero problems.I noticed a big difference in sharpness and colour Way better than out of the box. Very glad I did, and to think there is so much more to learn. Will enjoy my projector for a little while and then see what else I can do to take it to the next level if there is one. Noticed a small difference in motion blur too. Colours are vibrant in HDR and the image just pops like a giant OLED( well not quite that good but still good).Very happy so far.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the xrite i1pro2 is any better than the spider x. One thing I know it’s a lot more expensive. I think the i1pro2 is an older meter. From what I understand it can also be used with the JVC auto cal software. Does it have its own software and do you have to buy a licence separately to use it.

I just ordered the  xrite i1pro2 and will team it up with the spyder x. I am looking at using the Spyder x for gamma and the i1pro2 for colour both separately for the N7.  That's what people are recommending Has anyone tried this, i will give it a try and see how i go. Another new toy.

• Like 1