JVC autocal

Hey staino,I'm Berwick way ,feel a bit pov as dont have Internet at home as live off a mobile plan,so hard to do auto cal with no Internet line [emoji19],need to talk to Al and Dave,may even put Internet on at home for 12 months plan to do the auto cal then cancel the plan ?
Still like you would need help as not very computer literate,we hit a few snags doing Als the other night and I would have been lost trying reboots on routers etc!!look forward to catching up at next gtg,I'm also happy to host at my cave,and u get a Seaton and crowson demo at same time !!
Cheers Muri

• Like 3

1 hour ago, STAIN0 said:

Lots of X5000's by the sound of it. 

Myself included. 

I am out Clyde south east. 

Happy to host a gtg, but myself am not experienced enough to direct it. 

we are stronger together staino !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, STAIN0 said:

Lots of X5000's by the sound of it. 

Myself included. 

I am out Clyde south east. 

Happy to host a gtg, but myself am not experienced enough to direct it. 

I'm happy to do a repeat of what we set up at @:) al gtg a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure how much success @Kazz has had so a refresher could be helpful for all concerned.

As previously mentioned, at times the internet communication between the JVC autocal software and the projector can cause the most problems. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IMDave said:

Not sure how much success @Kazz has had so a refresher could be helpful for all concerned.

As previously mentioned, at times the internet communication between the JVC autocal software and the projector can cause the most problems. 

thats fantastic dave ! am happy to bring along a couple of 10m cables if that helps things as that will likely solve one of situations we had with me running my laptop off wire less. We are definitely learning with this stuff as we go, not to say we wont possibly come across some other hoops we have to jump through :)

@STAIN0  not sure you got your meter already but it will be worth loading up the software as per jvc and also downloading driver for the meter. let us know if need help there can point you appropriately :) I'm only using an old netbook so any sort of lap top would likely do, as long as we can hook meter upto it and internet cable.

• Love 1

Has anyone ever sat in via Skype on something like this as I would love to sit in via Skype and listen.I have not got a camera yet for Skype but I can soon organise one and set myself up.I could lean something from this and hopefully be able to do my own and possibly take some notes.

6 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

Has anyone ever sat in via Skype on something like this as I would love to sit in via Skype and listen.I have not got a camera yet for Skype but I can soon organise one and set myself up.I could lean something from this and hopefully be able to do my own and possibly take some notes.

i could take my iPad over and we can try Skype. I've not used it for video, but have used it for voice calls. id have to make sure am on some sort of wifi though as wouldn't want to push envelope with my data :)

• Like 1

@muriwai

would something like this help setup a network at your place of your phone or something ? maybe worth popping in who ever your provider is and finding out whats needed to get going,

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/d-link-3g-and-4g-router-n300-dldwr116

hopefully can just still use your phones 3G/4G setup a hot sport or something and do what you need ? 

18 minutes ago, :) al said:

@STAIN0  not sure you got your meter already but it will be worth loading up the software as per jvc and also downloading driver for the meter. let us know if need help there can point you appropriately :) I'm only using an old netbook so any sort of lap top would likely do, as long as we can hook meter upto it and internet cable.

I have gone through all the autocal and also used arves tool with success, i have the gear needed and confirm its all operable, it's not that. i do still just have a lot of questions, and really just need someone to take the reins.

i have x5000 with (i believe) latest firmware, all cables needed to update firmware if needed.

laptop confirmed connects to x5000 no issue. light meter, spyder, software, all confirmed working and ready to go.

*Edit...

i also have unlimited 100/40 nbn

Edited by STAIN0
  • Like 2

Just now, STAIN0 said:

I have gone through all the autocal and also used arves tool with success, i have the gear needed and confirm its all operable, it's not that. i do still just have a lot of questions, and really just need someone to take the reins.

i have x5000 with (i believe) latest firmware, all cables needed to update firmware if needed.

laptop confirmed connects to x5000 no issue. light meter, spyder, software, all confirmed working and ready to go.

thats fantastic ! you sound well down the path. !  in some ways your gtg could take up from where we left off almost with my gtg. though i suspect a repeat run through of basics probably won hurt anyone :)

• Like 2

For those wondering what all this talk about Arve's custom gamma curves is all about, here is a link to the wip branch of the program.

https://github.com/arvehj/jvcprojectortools/tree/wip

It needs Python to be installed on the laptop to run, and works via the same mechanism of communication as the JVC software.ie the pj needs to be connected to the router and the arve tool uploads the custom curve you create directly to one of the Custom  gamma slots in the JVC.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, :) al said:

i could take my iPad over and we can try Skype. I've not used it for video, but have used it for voice calls. id have to make sure am on some sort of wifi though as wouldn't want to push envelope with my data :)

I have never used Skype before but was planning on setting it up anyway via my computer I also have an iPad with good wifi.I can also make a financial contribution  to anyone foresaking their data usage for my privilege if that's how it works.:)

10 minutes ago, STAIN0 said:

*Edit...

i also have unlimited 100/40 nbn

Yeah, i thought that from our communications you'd gone right through the whole process . Glad you got to create Arve curves as well. 

What is it you don't like about how the image looks?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IMDave said:

Yeah, i thought that from our communications you'd gone right through the whole process . Glad you got to create Arve curves as well. 

What is it you don't like about how the image looks?

in a nutshell, it's too dark...

using the pluge from the RM disc.

i find it very difficult getting the flashing bars right. there is almost no difference in scale between them.

Edited by STAIN0

17 minutes ago, STAIN0 said:

maybe something we can explore on the night. as happens I had the RM uhd disc turn up today ! 

36479910463_cac0e9254f_c.jpg

37121273992_3770a190cf_c.jpg

36479999883_703fba0b20_c.jpg

been using the files off usb to date :)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, STAIN0 said:

i find it very difficult getting the flashing bars right. there is almost no difference in scale between them.

I agree using the RM files it is pretty hard to differentiate between 77 and 81.

I have to get right up to the screen.

Are you saying that the curve you are using gives a image that is too dark overall?

What inputs did you plug into the tool?

For example, my current default curve uses this profile:

bm= 500

bw=100

sc=215

se=0.7

st=0

sg=1

hard clip=4000nits

bbi=0.005

For me I need to set bbo=0.011 to resolve a flashing 81 with a solid 77.

Ymmv

13 minutes ago, IMDave said:

I agree using the RM files it is pretty hard to differentiate between 77 and 81.

I have to get right up to the screen.

Are you saying that the curve you are using gives a image that is too dark overall?

What inputs did you plug into the tool?

For example, my current default curve uses this profile:

bm= 500

bw=100

sc=215

se=0.7

st=0

sg=1

hard clip=4000nits

bbi=0.005

For me I need to set bbo=0.011 to resolve a flashing 81 with a solid 77.

Ymmv

have not played with all the adjustments in arves tool as yet. Have only tried the speed guide. 

Pick bright uhd scene. 

Adjust contrast. 

Adjust brightness (bbo) using rm pattern

I couldn't get the speed guide to work, so just kept fine tuning from "first principles ".

Everbodies curves will be different, based on screen size,throw distance, number of Nits, but Im really happy with the end result. 

Just takes patience.

The good thing about the curve is that you can just keep making minor changes, upload and you can instantly see the results.

Bloody amazing tool.

• Like 2

• Volunteer
23 hours ago, IMDave said:

@IMDave my calibration did not go well, I ended up with a pink tinge after the Autocal and so restored the init file and went back to factory settings.

I will need to give it another go but, I've read of others having the same pink tinge issue but no-one can work out why, so not quite sure what if anything I did wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, Kazz said:

@IMDave my calibration did not go well, I ended up with a pink tinge after the Autocal and so restored the init file and went back to factory settings.

I will need to give it another go but, I've read of others having the same pink tinge issue but no-one can work out why, so not quite sure what if anything I did wrong.

I had this once. 

IMG_5476.JPG

15 minutes ago, STAIN0 said:

I had this once. 

IMG_5476.JPG

Was that an attempt to calibrate REC709 or BT2020?

One thing for sure is that your 100% White is way off. Should be 6500k.

I can see in this Gamma cal that you have it set to "Normal" which is correct.

What I can't see ( you would have needed to do a screen cap of the CIE (xy) colour plot ) is what Colour profile you are using.

For the X5000 model, the "Standard" colour profile should be selected for the initial "Gamma & Colour" calibration, and then a "Rec709" and "BT2020" colour only can be run at your preferred iris/lamp settings.

For the X7000 model ( with the filter), there need to be two separate runs:

(a) to cal Bluray: do a Gamma and Colour full cal, using Gamma = Normal , and Colour = Standard....then run a colour only cal for REC709 at your preferred iris setting.

(b) to cal 4k/UHD: measure whether you have enough Nits to run in low lamp ( >80 is preferred), otherwise stick with High lamp ( the colour volume is better, but the lamp noise is a PITA.YMMV). Do a G&C full cal using Gamma = Normal, but this time you need to select, REFERENCE colour profile as it engages the Filter.

Then run a colour only cal for the BT2020 colur profile provided by JVC, at your preferred iris setting.

Hope that all makes sense.

• Like 3