Aurum Cantus V7F..... Opinions?

Ok, so I was thinking of saving for some Klipsch Cornwall III speakers to replace my B&W DM16's until@Noum went and suggested these. The price seems reasonable and the reviews out there seem fantastic.

I wonder if the seller would order in the figured maple?

https://www.audiophile-direct.com/products/v7f?variant=7185119429

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

When it comes to speakers, reviews don't count for much IMHO. Speakers have the biggest influence on your final sound, are very room dependent and personal sound preference is paramount.

To me, the price is high to buy without auditioning and based on your past threads, there is a very particular sound style towards which you gravitate. I think you should try to listen to as many speakers as possible, preferably being driven by tubes, before jumping in at the deep end with an unknown quantity.

For what it's worth, I've listened to AC speakers several years ago in Hong Kong (floorstanders but possibly a different model). They were impressive - clean with solid bass but quite a forward top end. They were certainly a different sonic signature to the Klipsch Cornwalls if memory serves me right.

Sorry if this isn't much help but I really feel auditioning is the best way forward for an investment of this magnitude.

Good luck with the search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before buying ANY piece of audio equipment, you MUST listen first. That goes quadruple for loudspeakers. Loudspeakers interact with rooms in very complex ways. EVERY room is different and every person's hearing preference is different. Do not EVER rely on reviews or opinions from those listeners that you do not know.

Mmmm, I believe[mention=161916]Noum[/mention] has heard these units and was rather impressed with them.

I know that my preferred system is presently based around Dayton USA PS220-8 drivers.... Very revealing full rangers. Most coloration is from the front end.....

I do love the B&W's though the added detail and nuance I get with the Daytons is fantastic. Maybe I should try plugging them in upstairs to see if I like it..... Once the amp is burned in of course. An interesting test.

I'll begin saving now anyway just in case .

Ian, could your mate be convinced to let me drop over at some point with my amp for a listening session?

If your ever anywhere near Canberra I could give you a demo of my AC Music Princess. Although a different model, it was the AC flagship at the time, and the speaker that put them on the map as truly world class. I believe they have maintained the same sound signature over time so there may well be some similarities. I would expect later models to have improved somewhat.

20150620_230354.jpeg

If your ever anywhere near Canberra I could give you a demo of my AC Music Princess. Although a different model, it was the AC flagship at the time, and the speaker that put them on the map as truly world class. I believe they have maintained the same sound signature over time so there may well be some similarities. I would expect later models to have improved somewhat.

20150620_230354.thumb.jpeg.a064bb3ffabafb0079112ad857803df2.jpeg

Nice looking speakers. I'll bet they sound great :)

Guest Muon N'
4 hours ago, MattyW said:

Ok, so I was thinking of saving for some Klipsch Cornwall III speakers to replace my B&W DM16's until@Noum went and suggested these. The price seems reasonable and the reviews out there seem fantastic.

I wonder if the seller would order in the figured maple?

https://www.audiophile-direct.com/products/v7f?variant=7185119429

Just a passing thought, and I have only heard the lower 103 model.

You would need to hear some in person yo know if they are suitable to your taste/ears.

Guest Muon N'

But will the right hand one be stuck in the corner?

Need to look at the room and how they might interact with it. Edit: lots of things to consider when choosing, and you have time before making a move so listen to as many speakers that might be worth considering in the mean time.

Edited by Muon N'

Mmmm, you mean it might not get along with the speaker positioning as well as the B&W's?

Quite possible as the DM16's aren't fantastic for imaging, they rather create a big, room filling sound. Might even be why I prefer the Sheer Audio MM-88 in this system too. It complements that nicely.

Guest Muon N'

Yes, some speakers work better in corners than others, many don't like it.

Plenty of time, Matt.

Check out as many speakers that might be suitable while you are saving. Hearing speaker in person is a must do too, as all others in the thread have pointed to.

Edited by Muon N'

Guest Muon N'
3 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Before buying ANY piece of audio equipment, you MUST listen first. That goes quadruple for loudspeakers. Loudspeakers interact with rooms in very complex ways. EVERY room is different and every person's hearing preference is different. Do not EVER rely on reviews or opinions from those listeners that you do not know.

@MattyW

ZB's is on the money, the room needs a lot of consideration where speaker interaction is concerned.

Guest Muon N'

That's a mighty strong upgrade itch ya' have there Matt :)

All I could say is consider the room carefully and try and hear the speakers before committing,  It's often difficult to do I know.

Guest Muon N'
12 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I think I need to resist until it goes away. These speakers are annoyingly pretty though with potential to sound great.... Half the price of Klipsch Cornwall III's too

keep-calm-and-sit-on-your-hands-2.jpg

Edited by Muon N'

And rock back and forth.... Lalalalala.....

The AC 620's are front ported, 90db efficiency and 4ohm's which should also give incredible SPL's with my amp doubling the wattage I can achieve with 8ohm speakers. I can't find bugger all information on them though

Guest Muon N'

A very good SS amp pushing good current, yeah. Even most SS amps will onlt provide a percentage of doubling.

And valves don't work that way. Your amp is 45w a channel regardless of using the 8ohm or 4ohm taps as I understand things.

Mmmm, if it turns out the 620's are unavailable I guess I'll begin the long save for $12g to get some Klipsch Cornwall III 70th anniversary speakers, stunning things that they are