David Lynch - The Art Life.

Excellent doco shot in a lynch-Ian way with cool Lynch groove music.

Thoroughly recommended for any fan of his art or films. Basically it's his story from childhood to Eraser Head, as told by David himself.

Makes  you want to drop out and just make art.  Proof you can sometimes do things your way.....or maybe that was the appeal as most of us are tied to doing things their way, not our own way.

If I see this on blue ray in JB I might just grab it to add to my small collection. Recommended.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally managed to sit through this turd of a film. First tried around 1985, fell asleep. Tried again a few years later. Fell asleep. Tried last year, fell asleep.

Tried tonight, made it.

Even if Lynch had been able to finish it as he wanted, this is a shocker. Quite rightly attributed to the directorial skills of that great Omni-present wonder boy, Alan Smithee. 

Though one can see a few visual ideas liberally 'borrowed' for later and better films ( Alien, Starship Troopers, Streamers), it never really elevates to that much aspired to level of ' so bad it's good' - it barely makes it to ' so bad it's really bad'.

Patrick Stewart may still have nightmares about the lines he has to spout.

Indeed, it's best savoured with the sub-titles on, as the dialogue is risible.

The sight of STING in his leather speedos certainly elevates the camp factor, and the floating Baron ( who floats for no particular reason) does have a brilliant floor length leather coat that had me envious.

Did I mention the gigantic worm who arrives in a transparent smoke filled tram,. and appears to speak, AND blow fire from an orifice that resembles the lady parts of a cow in season. No? Then right there is the best reason to subject yourself to this cinematic brain fart. Or.......maybe Kyles'  industrial strength bouffant. So much to dwell on really.

Oh, and the device that confuses the giant worm at the end is called , wait for it............ THE THUMPER!!!! So Freudian, so 80s.

Billy.

image.jpeg

The Art Life doco is great. I've been a huge fan of his art for some time. I several of his art books.

I never got the hate on Dune. And his own refusal to even talk about it. I have this one artbook of his that came with a companion CD, and when you get to the Dune art photography he more or less clams up. And as a movie, he really captured the essence of the universe, and had such incredible visual design.

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/09/2017 at 11:00 PM, Saxon Hall said:

Thanks for the Info

Always been a fan since a saw Eraserhead at a midnight session in a grungy inner city cinema about 30 years ago.

Was it the Valhalla? That’s where I saw it. It blew my mind???