Hifiman HE400i Own or heard them?

Hi all. I'm looking into headphones for listening when I don't want to disturb others with a speaker based system. The HE400i seems to be mostly well regarded so I'd be grateful for any opinions of them.

I'm in country Vic so will buy online without listening first. A couple of years ago I had a short listen with the earlier HE400 and recall preferring them to the Sennheiser options.

Thanks

Edited by legselevens

I started a thread in the headphone section but it seems that section gets little in the way of passing traffic so.....

Hi all. I'm looking into headphones for when I don't want to disturb others with a speaker based system. The HE400i seems to be mostly well regarded so I'd be grateful for any opinions on them. A couple of years ago I had a short listen with the earlier HE400 and recall preferring them to the Sennheiser options. I'm in country Vic so will buy online without listening first.

Thanks,  Legs11

Thanks Marc. I'll keep that in mind for next time. I posted in general discussion because there are similar posts for gear like speakers which could have gone in the speaker section so figured I should have initially posted in general discussion too.

Edited by legselevens

• Administrator
3 hours ago, legselevens said:

Thanks Marc. I'll keep that in mind for next time. I posted in general discussion because there are similar posts for gear like speakers which could have gone in the speaker section so figured I should have initially posted in general discussion too.

Yes, despite the big STOP message that asks users to consider whether they are posting in the right sub-forum.

I regularly spent time moving threads from General Discussion into the most relevant sub-forums.

I have had my set of HE-400i for about 6 weeks or so and absolutely love them.

Everything I could probably tell you about sound and build quality are covered in this video there is very little he says that I would disagree with:

As a note they now come with 2 x 2.5mm jacks rather than the mini coax connectors.  They are an absolute bargain for the price they are at the moment.

Cheers,

Tex

• Like 2

I'll be using an Emotiva DC-1. I sold my NAD M51 in preference for the DC-1 but I think my favourite dac is still an old PS Audio DL3 which I sometimes run off DC-1's analogue input. I've read the headphone section of the DC-1 is not bad with a decent amount of current.

Only a few minutes into the review but I like his style.

Edited by legselevens

Nice, I was looking at the DC-1 as an option for the system build I have started.  I have the Schiit Modi/Magni combo running them at the moment, but they will be staying on my desktop so I'll need something else.

He is not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy his reviews, both the delivery style and the content.  

The DC-1 has been a great little unit with many handy features. Plays everything except DSD but I'm not missing that myself.

Reading more reviews of the HE400i there's quite a diversity of opinion. Build quality issues have me a little concerned but most people are positive about the sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Well they arrived last Friday so less than a week in transit is good going. The box is absurdly well presented for the price of the headphones.

Sound through my Emotiva DC-1. At first I thought hmm dark, warm, dull?  But then I recalled how my Magnepans sounded when I first got them so I figured they'll settle down. I've since put about 7 hours on them and whether it's brain tuning or headphone break in I'm really enjoying them. A bargain at $250US.

They're also very good at low volume running off my android phone. You can hear the outside noises so it's kind of like having a hifi system on in the background and still able to talk to others or move around. Not something I'd considered when buying them but I can see that being of use.

Thanks for the replies.

Not to derail this thread, but just wanted to say thanks to @legselevens for bringing to my attention the hifiman website sale at the moment.  Just pulled the trigger on some HE560s.  Happy days.

Cheers,

Moh.

Edited by Moh
  • Like 1

I'm a headphone guy out of necessity at the moment but am actually starting to get into it. I've definitely noticed a change in sound since first using the 400i's. With maybe 30 hours on them they sound more open, especially the midrange and need less volume to run them. Bass seems improved too. Of course all this could be in my brain but I'm mostly happy. Could never give up a speaker based system.

Enjoy your new cans!