What to buy, Bookshelf Speakers under $700

Morning all,

A friend has asked me for advice on bookshelf speakers under $700.

Happy to test from Stereo Shops in Melbourne.

General pop/rock music will be the general choice.

Looking forward to the suggestions.

I don't know the source or amplifier, but if I remember I will find out today.

Thanks,

dirty.

Speakers are often based on individual preferences. Best thing is to go with your friend to an audio store (e.g. ClefSelby or Klapp but there are many others) with your favorite music and listen. When comparing, make sure volume is about the same. Buy the best sounding speakers within the budget.

HI

AS Snoopy says, speakers can be very individual, and what you think may be suitable may not sound the way they like in their system, best to go to some shops and listen to as many as they can.

JJ 

• Like 1

Guest AudioMusic1234

While auditioning is best practice, I purchased a set of Wharfedale Diamond 225s (my first pair of 'real' speakers) and have been impressed with their performance on many genres of music.

I was lucky enough to snag them at 40% off, this was a big purchase factor, but they can be found in stores below $700.

IMO they are well rounded in sound and seam to handle what has been thrown at them so far. The downward port also means they do not need to be a large distance from the rear wall if space is a premium.

There may be better out there in the price bracket but these put a smile on my face and that's what matters to me.

I will also point out they took a few hours to get there. When first connected I was mortified and instantly had buyers remorse however, once they warmed up I was presently surprised.

Happy to answer any questions on them or my setup if greater insight is wanted.

14 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Speakers are often based on individual preferences. Best thing is to go with your friend to an audio store (e.g. ClefSelby or Klapp but there are many others) with your favorite music and listen. When comparing, make sure volume is about the same. Buy the best sounding speakers within the budget.

Thanks Snoopy,

Clef look like they have quite a range under $700, so will pick out a few for him to start there.

Klapp also look to have a couple of different brands as well.

It's been a while since i have had to look so a reminder of Melbourne's great stores is appreciated.

14 hours ago, rogerthat said:

I would add Carlton Audio Visual to that list if you are in Melbourne. Best customer service.

Thanks,

CAV have a few at that price also with the Sonus Faber Principia 1 worth a listen, We'll see how they do a cheaper speaker.

Just now, dirty said:

Thanks Snoopy,

Clef look like they have quite a range under $700, so will pick out a few for him to start there.

Klapp also look to have a couple of different brands as well.

It's been a while since i have had to look so a reminder of Melbourne's great stores is appreciated.

Yes, we are quite lucky with many good audio retailers in Melbourne.

Would your friend consider second hand as well?  May have to wait, but can sometimes pickup decent gear on the classifieds...

• Like 1

A little left field - but the Q Acoustics Concept 20 are worth a listen.  True bookshelf size and were near the top of my list in the sub $700 category - until I spent too much time at one of the excellent retailers and ended up spending a bit more!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

+1 for q acoustics concept 20 but I'd definitely recommend to go a little over budget and look at dynaudio Emit m10. They can be found a fair bit cheaper than the rrp.

. . and there is the slippery slope of budget . . +1 for the Emit M10's (loved them), but then I listened to the B&W CS1's and they were well priced as well, and just a bit smaller . .  Oh for a bit of temptation!

Go the recommended stores and listen too everything under, up to and including $700.00. they have in the shop. It won't take that long as there is a never a great cornucopia of choice across the trade outside of the major brands which is going to inherently limit your choice if you insist on auditioning speakers.

That said $700 will get you essentially a great pair of speakers if you stick to the usual suspects. Stick to your budget or push the wheel and deal to within an inch of its life.

Apologies if cross posting is frowned upon (I am not sure - relatively new) - but these look like great, opportunistic value to me at under $700.  A bit warmer than most of the B&W range.

Edited by gibbo9000