Technics SP-10R Reference Class turntable.

From the video, I am seeing what appears to be a heavy central bearing, a two part platter that screws together, with the motor electronics mounted concentric to  the middle underpart of the platter and using it as it's rotor - the way other technics designs, such as my SL-150 do with their one piece platter.  The whole assembly can be easily viewed as a large integral motor with a platter on top.  Very nice design.  

Edited by aussievintage

25 minutes ago, lovetube said:

interesting how they mount the platter . different than they used on the Mk3 and mk2 . i'm not sure if it better .

Hi Duc

I like the new platter mounting.  similar to how the Pioneer Exclusive P3 platter is put onto the motor unit via 3 screws.

I much prefer the look of the old Mk3 power supply unit - the new one looks cheap imo.

surprised they don't have at least a new plinth for the motor unit thou.

cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

Hi Duc

I like the new platter mounting.  similar to how the Pioneer Exclusive P3 platter is put onto the motor unit via 3 screws.

I much prefer the look of the old Mk3 power supply unit - the new one looks cheap imo.

surprised they don't have at least a new plinth for the motor unit thou.

cheers

i know what they try to do with that type of mounting . that is why i said i'm not sure if it made a better ( different ) .

Cheers

Duc

Very tasty!   Likely to be around $8K USD, plus plinth and arm.  By the time you are done I suspect you would need to budget around $12K USD.  If the performance is in the realm of other turntable exotica costing more then this may very well find a nice as an end-game analogue front end for may well healed enthusiasts.

It depends what they are aiming for performance wise .

If they intend to equal or surpass the sound and build quality of the SP-10MK3 , EPA -100MK2 tonearm  , and SH-10B5 Plinth it will take more than just $12K usd imo.

On 9/3/2017 at 0:58 PM, MarkT said:

It depends what they are aiming for performance wise .

If they intend to equal or surpass the sound and build quality of the SP-10MK3 , EPA -100MK2 tonearm  , and SH-10B5 Plinth it will take more than just $12K usd imo.

Quite possibly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/4/2018 at 10:06 AM, metal beat said:

Here is then SP10R in factory plinth in Berlin this week.

Name:  IMG_7694__Technics-SP-10R_1200px.jpg Views: 42 Size:  278.5 KB

With plinth and arm, it's an SL1000R. Will retail for around $US20,000 as @Wimbo stated and the SL10R will be around $US10,000. You can read about both here: https://theaudiophileman.com/technics-sp-10r-sl-1000r-turntables/
5a77a253b0bf0_Technicssp1000r.thumb.jpg.7e255877185c2f95c064ab118205fe3a.jpg

Edited by stevoz

46 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Brochure and specs.          I wonder if they will let anyone buy the SL-1000R sans tonearm.

Technics-SL-1000R-dust-cover-768x576.jpg

Technics-SL-1000R-turntable-768x513.jpg

Can't see why not ,.... the tonearm , plinth and motor unit were always available seperately with SL1000-MK2 and and SL-1000MK3.

• Like 1

As the SP10 was used in many radio stationsin the past, for instance the ABC, and the resurgeance of vinyl only releases

will there be a market for the SP10R in radio stations in the future? Or just DJ standard Technics? Probably....

Nice old school SP10 combo

https://www.whathifi.com/news/vintage-bbc-technics-sp-10-mk2-studio-turntable-unit-turns-ebay

regards Ian

13 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

As the SP10 was used in many radio stationsin the past, for instance the ABC, and the resurgeance of vinyl only releases

will there be a market for the SP10R in radio stations in the future? Or just DJ standard Technics? Probably....

Nice old school SP10 combo

https://www.whathifi.com/news/vintage-bbc-technics-sp-10-mk2-studio-turntable-unit-turns-ebay

regards Ian

Do any radio stations play any proper media these days? I'm assuming everything is on a hard disc somewhere and the presenter presses a key on a keyboard. As for vinyl only releases it would probably be the job of an intern to digitise it using a basic USB turntable. I'd love to be wrong but I simply can't imagine a radio presenter/dj cueing up a record these days.

On 06/02/2018 at 6:27 PM, Hergest said:

Do any radio stations play any proper media these days? I'm assuming everything is on a hard disc somewhere and the presenter presses a key on a keyboard. As for vinyl only releases it would probably be the job of an intern to digitise it using a basic USB turntable. I'd love to be wrong but I simply can't imagine a radio presenter/dj cueing up a record these days.

many radio presenters/dj's on community radio stations spin a lot of vinyl!

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, metal beat said:

The US$ pricing has been released.

SP-10RE-S $9,999.99  
SL-1000RE-S $17,999.99  
Arm-Board $1,299.99

Shane, It would be interesting how the SL- 1000RE-S stacks up against your SP-10 MK III. :)

I’m sure the former is a great table, but think the ol’ classic MKIII would hold it’s own.

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 2