CBS BUYS CHANNEL TEN NETWORK

wow interesting development with CBS buying channel ten

http://www.theage.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/us-company-cbs-to-buy-ten-network-20170827-gy5doc.html

what is particularly interesting is the impact on foxtel, which I think is much necessary as a wake up call ! 

"And is a blow to Foxtel's subscription television service, CBS's internet-based All Access service includes rights to stream such as some of America's National Football League (NFL) games, college football, college basketball and major golf tournaments. "

hopefully this moves pulls ten out the doldrums where greatly resided for quite some years now,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raffinator said:

So does that mean Murdoch and Gordon get nothing for their equity holdings? If so - ouch!

No, they get everything back. It is ordinary shareholders who lose their shirts!  :angry:

• Administrator

CBS’s acquisition of the ailing Ten Network will give Australian’s a new pay-to-view streaming service. The US broadcaster has sealed a binding deal with administrators KordaMentha and receivers PPB Advisory, to buy the Ten network.

View the full article

Rubbish channel, always was. All the way back to Sir Reg who started it. american hands,British hands, Chinese hands, they couldn't do any worse could they.

• Like 1

American programming content would be good wouldn't it. We need more of that stuff. Hopefully they'll pick up PBS Newshour and run it live. Now that would be good.

Rugby...lol. Does anybody apart from expat Kiwi's actually watch that stuff?

Maybe CBS10 will beam college football live or even better...Canadian Curling! That's fantastic entertainment! Two people on brooms and one doing the curling...brilliant stuff(seriously)

8 minutes ago, Luc said:

PBS Newshour and run it live.

+ 1

8 minutes ago, Luc said:

Does anybody apart from expat Kiwi's actually watch that stuff?

Just a few still maybe... ;)

Network Ten 373,000 + Foxtel Sport viewers

JSmith :ninja:

Ah, so your talking riff raff basically, I thought this was so. Hasn't changed since Sir Reg started it really then has it and that figure  looks like the same audience he started with in 1970 or whenever he kicked it off.:lol:

*Back to curling. It's exciting, it's fast, it's deep and intricate(who knew?) and the girls do it so much better than the men.

What's not to like!

** Petition needed methinks.

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/gadgets-on-the-go/what-might-cbs-all-access-bring-to-australias-streaming-landscape-20170829-gy6vb9.html

what cbs "all access" streaming services brings to australia....

apparently priced overseas at usd5.99 with add breaks and 9.99 without 

me i wonder how many more streaming services we need. we barely use netflix enough ! 

surprise surprise with murdoch diving in legal challenge the cbs take over. as we know with cbs coming in wiht its streaming network and capability foxtel is no 1 most likely to loose in the deal. so no surprise murdoch who owns foxtel trying best to scuttle the CBS ship before leaves port....

http://www.theage.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/gordon-murdoch-in-legal-challenge-to-ten-takeover-20170906-gyc6zb.html

• Like 1

Not surprised. Their original move (withdrawing guarantee) was to trigger the collapse and then buy Ten on the cheap but CBS snookered them. :winky::afro:

Fox, as an unsecured creditor for content, will also be a big loser.

Murdochs are now desperate but I doubt anyone here will be crying? Unless you are a shareholder of Ten or News Ltd.

Edited by Snoopy8
added last line
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

35 minutes ago, :) al said:

looks like th creditors have voted for the CBS take over. thank goodness !  I say,

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-19/channel-ten-creditors-meeting-vote-for-cbs-takeover-bid/8959142

Not the end of the Gordan & Murdoch challenge.  I think they will lodge an appeal.

It is ironic that while Gordan & Murdoch had the biggest shareholding and therefore biggest votes when Ten was solvent, but they chose to trigger the collapse and gave away their voting rights to creditors.  They thought they could pick up the Ten carcass on the cheap.  Reminds me of Kerry Packer's famous Channel Nine sell high to Bondy and buy back low story, only this time the egg is on the parties initiating the corporate move.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, :) al said:

I believe CBS provided more certainty for employees. Implying that it is anti Murdoch makes good headlines but I think it is stretching the truth. 

• Like 1