Justification of a purchase.

Happy wife, happy life!  So true aren't it!  :thumb:

i can see why members here by $1000 cables or phono cartridges, easy to hide and easy to get away with a purchase.    

Little bit bit hard when it's a different shiny box or say @joz Illuminators that you can't hide...:huh:

How do you guys sneak a purchase into the house without her knowing?   Or do you guys come out in front and be all romantic to justify that purchase?   :P     Or is she not worried about what you buy?   

I get questioned on all purchases and I get this nasty look.  I normally get a "no" answer straight in my face with the expresssion "what do you want that for. You have one already". :blush:

i haven't been questioned on my last $0000 and hopefully she never well.  :P     I got a straight out no for the Maggie 1.7 but I told her I'm buying them anyway....  now that takes balls...:thumb:  for me OK!   

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tried to sneak a pair of Duntech Sovereigns into the house once in place of my Crown Prince's

you can guess the outcome!.....WTF are those monsters????!!!!!!

Cheers.

I guess it all comes down to how the household finance's are setup, for us we have a portion our own money to spend on whatever we like. It helps when she's into horse's, she has 3, and the spending on those four legged critters dwarfs my hi-fi when you consider the property we own just to accommodate her obsession (I mean hobby). And even without that, the money on them each year is about the cost of my entire system ?

• Like 1

I had the same issues as you @Addicted to music ,and then one thing led to another and it was goodbye wife,happy life,and I've never looked back. Problem from my experience is, they're never truely happy, it's always more ,more more.

My girlfriend liked my 1.7's so much she went out and bought baby versions for herself and matched them up with a nice grunty 400 watt MF integrated. She possesses that rare ability, being able to sit quietly for hours and listen. She also pours a mean Jack!

Edited by Blk plastic
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, todagt said:

I guess it all comes down to how the household finance's are setup, for us we have a portion our own money to spend on whatever we like. It helps when she's into horse's, she has 3, and the spending on those four legged critters dwarfs my hi-fi when you consider the property we own just to accommodate her obsession (I mean hobby). And even without that, the money on them each year is about the cost of my entire system ?

The only good thing about my wife's horse, (down to one now, thankfully) that thing costs enough that she would never complain about anything I buy. If fact, more often than not, she tells me I work hard and deserve it.

Plus, when I upgrade things, I may occasionally exaggerate how close to breaking even I came, once I sold the component it replaced.

Normally that works a treat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blk plastic said:

and then one thing led to another and it was goodbye wife,happy life,and I've never looked back. Problem from my experience is, they're never truely happy, it's always more ,more more.

I wish I was this into hifi when I was single. I think also I know why people say happy wife, After talking to other blokes about this I have realised that like mine most are actually on happy pills. That's why you need to pick the right time to talk to them or just avoid the drama and don't talk at all.

Sounds all too familiar. I've just sold most of my old gears to justify her before bringing the 802d3 home.  By the way, I've shown her a picture of the 803 with the price of an 804.....oh, and it came with full McIntosh gear too, bargain!! 

9 hours ago, Blk plastic said:

I had the same issues as you @Addicted to music ,and then one thing led to another and it was goodbye wife,happy life,and I've never looked back. Problem from my experience is, they're never truely happy, it's always more ,more more.

My girlfriend liked my 1.7's so much she went out and bought baby versions for herself and matched them up with a nice grunty 400 watt MF integrated. She possesses that rare ability, being able to sit quietly for hours and listen. She also pours a mean Jack!

how many times are you allowed to like one post

Edited by Grimmie
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Kazz said:

I think all of you guys who have to take WAF into consideration need a store that offers this.  :P

21077437_1750732058301010_5522627389634678827_n.jpg

That's funny.  I ride bikes too.  I recall a funny article around Tour De France time where the journo said he'd realised years ago that, provided all his new bikes were plain black, the missus didn't notice!  

For ages I've had the idea that there should be plain outer stereo component cases, whereby you change the innards but the outside always looks the same....

• Like 3

I sell to fund purchases in the 2 ch system that is in plain sight in the living room, but over the years have usually spent around $400-$800 more than the stuff I've replaced but try to keep to 2nd gear mostly. It started as 3XX series Cambridge Audio Integrated and CD player!

She did take 2 days to notice the new sub (replaced one which died so that was okay) but she won't notice anything in the HT room as it's all in a cabinet she never needs to open as the Harmony remote handles everything and she never plays disc's, that my job.

• Like 1

I buy what I want to buy.  She buys what she wants to buy. 

I control the finances and when we're ready to pay in cash, I give the say so to pull the trigger on the next purchase, and not one second before...perfect...  :)

She does sometimes say that my purchases make her nose bleed though...:unsure:

• Like 1

On 26/08/2017 at 11:20 PM, Mat-with-one-t said:

That's funny.  I ride bikes too.  I recall a funny article around Tour De France time where the journo said he'd realised years ago that, provided all his new bikes were plain black, the missus didn't notice!  

For ages I've had the idea that there should be plain outer stereo component cases, whereby you change the innards but the outside always looks the same....

Interesting you say that, there is a theory at my place similar.

Show a milled aluminium face place anodised in Titanium and response from Mrs is geez that looks expensive, show the same face plate in powder coat black gets little to not even any response, so all black it is then. Have to agree, keep it plain and what is inside that counts. Looks can be deceiving :lol: and my little secret.  (One of the few times have ever got away with that) 

I have a pot for gold coins that I faithfully add to each day. Cashing it up at the bank is always a big deal.  And I sell old stuff, for a lot more than I expected. The outcome is that my diligent savings and sacrificed components equal what I buy (within a few thousand) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 125dBmonster said:

Interesting you say that, there is a theory at my place similar.

Show a milled aluminium face place anodised in Titanium and response from Mrs is geez that looks expensive, show the same face plate in powder coat black gets little to not even any response, so all black it is then. Have to agree, keep it plain and what is inside that counts. Looks can be deceiving :lol: and my little secret.  (One of the few times have ever got away with that) 

A lot of cyclists over spend on bikes. Considering the majority of it these days is automation made.It must be the "mines better then yours" syndrome.Unless they are racing and doing well in A Grade opens, I can't see the point of 5k plus bicycles. Cant ride anymore, but if I wanted a good looking bike to perve on, It would be a DeRosa SLX with a Campag Grupo and Gold Shamals .

Otherwise, my wife and myself get on very well and I wouldnt try to slip anything past her. I must be getting to old.:lol:

12 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Otherwise, my wife and myself get on very well and I wouldnt try to slip anything past her. I must be getting to old.:lol:

I don't slip much past and as long as the bills are paid no one worries what's inside my black boxes.

Couldn't really slip the Martin Logan's past but found she likes those almost as much as I do and confirmation of better WAF over the PSE 144 Unity Horns. Personally don't entirely agree but that's life.

Old Trades body is too stuffed for push bikes these days but still cat out the BMX from time to time with the Kids, a nice old 5.2Kg racer.

9 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

Old Trades body is too stuffed for push bikes these days but still cat out the BMX from time to time with the Kids, a nice old 5.2Kg racer.

Must have good knees mate.:thumb:

12 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Must have good knees mate.:thumb:

Knees are Ok, back is not all that flash. Can't lay over the road bike anymore. That's Ok though :) gone onto building amps/power electronics and playing stereo 

Love the BMX, can still handle that Ok.

• 2 weeks later...

What a sad thread.

All these guys suffering a guilt trip put on them by their partners.

Such a drag.

She should be your PARTNER, not your over-lord mother.

I have none of the issues you guys talk about.

My wife knows I buy lots of records and knows what I spend on hi-fi gear.

She understands that is my "thing" and I understand her "thing" is some dark craft making items that she shows to me. I just need to admire the item and say how clever she is for making it. (Whatever it is.)

She wants to buy some expensive gadget for her hobby... sure get it you deserve it sweetie.

image.png.7a58d5d6fd52c3383de41f1a6685f8f7.png

• Like 5

throughout the past few years i have been experimenting/ buying hifi components locally. i have visited quite a few hifi folks. one thing i notice statistically, 7 of 10 of them are either single/divorced. 

seems like "hifi and missus cannot mix,

you just have to let go either one eventually"

Edited by copa
  • Like 1

throughout the past few years i have been experimenting/ buying hifi components locally. i have visited quite a few hifi folks. one thing i notice statistically, 7 of 10 of them are either single/divorced. 

seems like "hifi and missus cannot mix,
you just have to let go either one eventually"

I started my addiction just before my ex and I separated. So far no regrets with replacing her with the equipment.

Sent from Tapatalk
  • Like 2