Passive Pre's: Slagle Autoformers vs Tortuga LDR3

I've owned the Dave Slagle autoformers for about a year and i love they way the integrate and sound in my system. Easily the best sounding pre i've owned. My only dislike is that i find the attenuation range too narrow. Only 24 steps. So when i want to listen late at night, the first step is too loud. 

I know he's released a stereo version with 47 steps for $900 USD which i'm thinking of getting. But i'd like to know if anyone owns a Tortuga LDR3 and their thoughts on it. Also if anyone has A/B'd the Slagle's with the Tortuga. 

[mention=153574]campo007[/mention] I have an early version of Slagle auto former (made in 2004 rats nest of wire coming out of the autoformer) 

I find the bass rolls off slightly, I've restacked the core a few times and think I've got it at the  best. 

I'm building a LDR pre - Chris Daly parts but using a stepped attenuator instead of the standard Volume pot as I prefer the clicking. Is the Tortuga a super special LDR?

ok, just read up on tortuga LDR, seems interesting with LDR input switching should be pretty neutral. going to be pretty hard to beat for grain free sound.

i'll update you with what i think about autoformer vs. LDR in a few days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, misternavi said:

[mention=153574]campo007[/mention] I have an early version of Slagle auto former (made in 2004 rats nest of wire coming out of the autoformer) 

I find the bass rolls off slightly, I've restacked the core a few times and think I've got it at the  best. 

I'm building a LDR pre - Chris Daly parts but using a stepped attenuator instead of the standard Volume pot as I prefer the clicking. Is the Tortuga a super special LDR?

ok, just read up on tortuga LDR, seems interesting with LDR input switching should be pretty neutral. going to be pretty hard to beat for grain free sound.

i'll update you with what i think about autoformer vs. LDR in a few days.

The reason i looked at the Tortuga was that for $300USD more, you get a professionally made unit with 3 inputs, 2 outputs, remote control and adjustable input impedance. 

I have never felt my Slagle's rolled off the bass. I have experienced the opposite. 

I look forward to your comparison. 

• Like 1

ok, little hiccup.
i put together the LDR, had a quick listen and it sounded very neutral but had a issue with volume control. changed pots and now it's not working. will find time to fiddle with it next week but from the short listen i think it's similar to the autoformer with more bass. maybe i'm not the best for comparison because i think my autoformer rolls off highs and lows.

Sent from my iPhone using Telepathy

I'm not sure which version of Chris's LDR's you have but over the last 6 months he has upped the quality to an unbelievable level of astonishing sound with totally new Control and Regulator Boards.  The improvement is not subtle, it is huge and you won't believe what you have been missing, even in your favourite and least favourite recordings as I am finding.

The sound isn't 'neutral' any more. It is accurate, powerful and dynamic with superb bass texture that lets you hear and feel the harmonics of the strings.

I have just been tested three prototypes of the new StereoCoffee and giving feedback to Chris and the final version is so far a head of previous versions that they aren't even in the race.

If you want to hear sound exactly as it was recorded you can buy an upgrade for about $60, I think. It is worth contacting Chris to find out more. The LDR board hasn't been changed, it is all to do with constant current management.

I'm not sure why you would use switched resistors instead of a using good pot because it has nothing to do with the signal and I think you could find it difficult to find the sweet spot. I found the supplied Bourns pot to be too loose so I used an ALPS which cost around $20 as I recall and has lovely feel, like twisting a spoon in honey.

Pity you aren't in SE Qld or I could give you a demo to stop you in your tracks.

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Channel balance was a bit tricky at first but I connected my meter cable to an RCA and can read directly.

Chris managed to explain balance to me so even i could understand after I had completely wrecked the settings and sent it back to him. Once done it was completely stable for months and then was only a few ohms out. Probably better than most pots.

I also have the latest CloneNote which has a switch and once I had adjusted balance and output resistance to suit my tastes found the switch quite good in that there was a sweet spot setting I could always find. But being able to adjust the output slope made it easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, singleendedamp said:

Hi Robmid, I am looking for a good passive pre. What is this Chris's upgraded LDRs. How much is it? Where can I see the specs. 

He has a website at https://stereocoffee.wixsite.com/ldrpreamp 

There are no specs because they wouldn't tell you anything that would describe the performance. In my experience it is the same as my input and the capabilities of my Holton power amp and LS50's. Noise is zero. No signal, no sound.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, campo007 said:

That's the model i'm looking at. 

No. That one is the Tortuga, a completely different beast.

The StereoCoffee is a set of modules that are hand built to order by Chris Daly in NZ. The StereoCoffee kit is less than $200 and is so good you will probably never find another preamp that is as addictive.

Chris is very accessible and total audio enthusiast who loves live music, not a manufacturer. Just drop him an email at dbxrecord@gmail.com and tell him what you need. He can customise his kits to user requirements.

Mine is a final prototype and I think I am the first to test one and I am still in awe of what I am hearing, after one month of critical auditioning.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, robmid said:

No. That one is the Tortuga, a completely different beast.

The StereoCoffee is a set of modules that are hand built to order by Chris Daly in NZ. The StereoCoffee kit is less than $200 and is so good you will probably never find another preamp that is as addictive.

Chris is very accessible and total audio enthusiast who loves live music, not a manufacturer. Just drop him an email at dbxrecord@gmail.com and tell him what you need. He can customise his kits to user requirements.

Mine is a final prototype and I think I am the first to test one and I am still in awe of what I am hearing, after one month of critical auditioning.

That sounds great. I will drop him an email. If he can built something to my requirements, i'll definitely consider that. 

On 26/08/2017 at 9:19 AM, campo007 said:

My only dislike is that i find the attenuation range too narrow. Only 24 steps. So when i want to listen late at night, the first step is too loud. 

I auditioned a Slagle pre with a view to purchase 

Loved the sound signature 

However in my system I had the opposite experience 

Very low volume at the begining and the volume got going about 50 % on the dial 

Now I must say that the unit I was auditioning had 65 steps from memory 

56 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Wow. With 4 steps, i'm pushing 94db in my room. 

I guess it's all about the gain in your system. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Full Range said:

I've experienced that in the past and it feels like the system is straining when it may fine. Both the CloneNote (24 steps) and StereoCoffee (500k ALPS pot) fill my room at 50%. My StereoCoffee uses A 500k ALPS pot which gives very precise low volume control from zero to 50% then you are into 'hold your hat' on territory. Because of this, I prefer the 500k pot to the 50k version.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robmid said:

I've experienced that in the past and it feels like the system is straining when it may fine. Both the CloneNote (24 steps) and StereoCoffee (500k ALPS pot) fill my room at 50%. My StereoCoffee uses A 500k ALPS pot which gives very precise low volume control from zero to 50% then you are into 'hold your hat' on territory. Because of this, I prefer the 500k pot to the 50k version.

That's the very reason why I still use the Nakamichi CA5 

Stereo coffee has a "boutique" brand called "Audio Java" 

http://www.javahifi.com/

which use Chris' hardware and design in a much better package.  Worth a look!

I started a Passive thread some time ago that you may wish to peruse......

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/105008-passive-preamps-where-are-we-at-currently/

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed the ldr attenuator I use for sale on another forum site. A very good price and only the display, motorised vol pot(if you want) and a remote receiver (a cheap 3 pin part) are needed. The item is from Europe from a country with 230v 50hz so transformer is ok. Note that these have 3 x inputs and one output as well as HT bypass option.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/312353-rudis-vcpre-attenuator-source-selector-assembled-49euro.html

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Of all the passive I’ve run the best LDR I ran was a Tortuga which bettered the DACGEAR I’d previously had and 2021? Stereo Coffee I got from another member….. The icOn 4PRO Slageformer pre was noticeably better again…..

Then I went back to an active pre with my current Absolute Audio Labs ASL-1Z pre…. Which in my current setup is the best I’ve run though in another I’d say the icOn May be better. It has a way of minimising noise which is incredible if spinning LP’s is your thing. The ASL-1Z sounds more like a good tube pre minus colouration so more to my preference.

Edited by MattyW