Repairing vinyl on Wharfedale Diamond 8.4

Hi, I recently acquired a set of Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 speakers, they have a lovely sound but on one I noticed the vinyl is coming off as marked by the area with the red arrows in the photos. I want to reattach it but to do so will have to remove the front face plate . I was curious has anyone had any experience removing one of these and if so how are they attached? Do they have plugs into the wood, or are they glued in or a combination of both or something else?

Also what is recommended as the best glue adhesive for reattaching vinyl coverings on speakers?

Thanks

Andy :)

DSCN5286.JPG

DSCN5288.JPG

DSCN5287.JPG

Edited by AndrewM

The glue can probably be reactivated and the vinyl flattened out by heat.

Try placing some white paper over the area and then ironing it with an iron.

Not too hot or the vinyl may shrink.

Then while it is still warm, put something flat like a piece of ply on it, with some weight and leave it overnight and then see  how it looks in the morning.

This has worked for me in the past.

If it is no better you may have to go further but it is worth a try as anything else may require some destruction of the cabinets, if the fronts are not screwed on.

Some contact adhesives can react with some vinyl and make it bubble up so it is hard to recommend a specific glue.

Try any glue on a small out of site area first.

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Aha, a question I can help with! I've got a set of the 8.4s (as part of a matching surround setup) and mine had the hideous silver fronts that I just couldn't live with, so I pulled them apart and painted them.

Good news is the only fasteners to remove are the fixing screws for the drivers, then you can remove the fronts.

They're glued down with a goopy black...goop, that will stretch out and go everywhere, and WILL get stuck in your carpet for all eternity, so be ready for that; just use a blade or something to cut the strands of goop as you lift the baffle.

Also worth noting that unlike the mid and woofer, the tweeter is fixed to the back of the baffle, with just enough wire length to let you lift the baffle and disconnect it before removing the baffle completely.

To pry up the baffle I used plastic trim lifter things for a car interior, but you could do it easily with a butter knife if you're careful.

With the baffle off you'll have access to the edge of the vinyl and be able to reglue that lifting.

Just ask if you've got any other questions about the process!

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks Srey, I successfully did this a few days ago, first by working out how to get off the front plate and cutting through the black stretchy glue. I then managed to flatten and reattach the existing vinyl using a standard cloths iron set on a silk setting combined with a piece off baking paper, which protected the vinyl/iron from melting, as per EV Cali's above instruction. Once the vinyl was warm it was much easier to pull off and move back on to the wood restoring it back to its earlier days with no extra glue required. Thanks for the advice :)