Projector Or Large OLED TV

Hi everyone.

This is my first post/topic.

We are currently renovating our home and I'm including a Theatre room. 

The dimensions are 5m x 3.7m x 2.4m. 

My questions are.

Do we run a large Tv or Projector? Is a 3.7m wall big enough for the projector screen?

Also is the room better suited for 5.1.4 ,7.1.2 or full Atmos 7.2.4?

Thanks for reading.

a room depth of 5m, can have you sitting at 3m point and leaving 2m behind you. at 3m you have enough width in front of you to run a 92-100" 16:9 screen and will easily resolve 1080p and do 4k uhd some justice. at this distance. an OLED with max size of 65" at 2.5m is farthest away before stop resolving 1080p and most definitely at that point even you will not be fully resolving 4k uhd.

a 65" to 92" screen is 50% increase in diagonal and 100" even more so. the size difference up is significant and if viewing at say 3m it will very much be appreciated with not only 1080p but also for 4k uhd material. 

a 92" is over 2m wide, 100" is 2.2m wide so no problem with a 3.7m wide front wall still leaves suffienct space to side for speakers so wont be squashed in to the sides and will have room to breathe :) 

as to size ? vs speakers will fit in. with the 2m behind your seating out leaves enough breathing room for 7.1 and also a full complement of .4 height speakers around the main seating area.

re subs i wouldn't go two subs, for a room that size., i would go one decent good quality sub, and there are plenty about. place it well upfront and utilise eq on board your AVR to dial in to perfection.

so I would say go for it !!! you have what is likely be a very nice setup and something to have a lot of enjoyment with. 

Hey Al.

Thanks for your response. Thats the advice I was looking for. Perfect!

This is what ill be running then.

Anthem MRX 1120 Amp/Receiver 

JVC DLA-X 5500 Projector

Screen Tech 110'' 16:9 Screen

Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts

Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center

Martin Logan Motion FX Dipole Rears/Surround

Martin Logan Dynamo 1000w Sub

Paradigm CS-80R V3 X4 Atmos

Thoughts?

looks perfect I would say go for it :)

just on the screen 110" might be pushing things a tad, keep in mind in screen heights sitting at 3m thats about 2.1 screen heights which is a little too close in my opinion. also would need to be at 5.2m to been closer to 15 deg viewing angle for comfort. i probably wouldn't go any larger than 100" gives you 2.4 screen heights as is. and would go further larger or closer. 100 to 102" is probably enough and be something will be able to enjoy with lot of material. keep in mind even 1080p you will fully resolve sitting as far back as 4m. so at 3m be fully resolving and also benefiting with 4k uhd. and also every day TV DVD etc will be watchable :)

with a larger screen you could sit further back.... but then will leave less room for speakers in surrounds and heights... so going slightly smaller in 100-102" I reckon at your viewing distance a better balance ? just my thoughts anyways ....

however great to hear going screen techniques i run one of those myself and something owned few years now and very happy. another great local made product.

my 2 cents worth.. and only 2 cents by the way. i would go 110". you have a jvc pj ( i use entry benq so jvc are suppose to be the best so i cant imagine any picture quality issues that might detract from viewing on a 110" screen.).. so 110" should be fine.

i sit 3m from a 123" screen. as you have 1 row of seating i would not mount the screen higher than 600-700mm off the floor (from the bottom of the screen) mine is at 810mm and it is a tad too high. also you will get better immersion when watching.

yes not to put a pj in that room would be a shame.. after all you want a HT room not a TV room.

just a note with the centre speaker.. if it is not "pointing" to your ear level when seated,  just get some soft rubber door wedges from bunnings to lift the front a bit.

oh and from my even basic ht rooms.. buy a screen after you can test sizing /position on the wall first or if you have one already set it up last.. use the wall to get the position right first

Edited by hopefullguy

thats something else with screen sizes though,

100" THX recommend distance for immersion 3041mm one of the reasons suggesting this as a max. keeping in mind even with screen that size, for vertical viewing angle or 15 deg you'd need to sit at at 4757mm

the larger you go for screen the lower will bottom of it will need to go otherwise will end up with a crook neck looking up !  either way the recommendation of vertical viewing angle is 15-20 degrees. we can cope wiht more but you dont want to push it too much. gong bottom of screen 600mm is likely going to mean where does your centre speaker end up ? its better than having centre pointing at your shins and will have to angle up to improve positioning. all that said some people end up with the centre speaker on the floor and you will be in a much better situation than that :) for best pans across the front you want your centre and mains tweeters around the same height or at most 100-200mm off at most.

the jvcs are good, i run one but the concern is source material...whcih unless pristine when you are over resolving you just see more artefacts ! 

Just now, Slightlyforward1503565351 said:

I can't get the centre speaker anywhere near the floor standings tweeter height. Their to tall.

I've only put a deposit on the JVC. Do you suggest another 4K unit Al?

jvc will be fine they are great units for the money, re the centre speaker, just cautioning to not drop it too far down, have seen some systems where centre speakers ends up so low its firing at shins ! you can angle speakers but sounds still end up coming from source to great extent, our  ears localise very well. so try keep it up there :)

good points from Al.. but i never bother with too many charts.. just what i like to look at. :-)

still goes to why you should never buy/install a screen until all seating etc is arranged in your intended position then throw the picture on the wall and experiment with what you like from there.

the fun of it all is getting it to your level of acceptance, fine tuning as you go along.. well its fun to some and to others its just a pain in the a***

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

good points from Al.. but i never bother with too many charts.. just what i like to look at. :-)

still goes to why you should never buy/install a screen until all seating etc is arranged in your intended position then throw the picture on the wall and experiment with what you like from there.

the fun of it all is getting it to your level of acceptance, fine tuning as you go along.. well its fun to some and to others its just a pain in the a***

definitely the most ideal if can throw on a wall, and great suggestion if an option for @Slightlyforward1503565351  then definitely do e.g. if getting the jvc first. the way can run a bit of material e.g. fta, dvd, blu-ray streamed stuff uhd what ever plan to run on the system make sure to satisfaction and something comfortable with. can also experiment with screen position nd all that :)

and yes hopefully guy a lot of this stuff is very much down to peoples own needs likes etc so while the charts and rules of thumbs etc are all good and well, how people find it in end all that counts ! 

21 hours ago, Slightlyforward1503565351 said:

Hahaha Thanks guys.

I will be able to do a test run on the wall before I install the screen.

At the moment I'm at 7.1.2 as I was going to use the back atmos speakers for the al fresco. That was the compromise with the wife.

This will work?

I'd stick with the 4 Atmos speaker and just run a set of outdoors in your alfresco off Zone 2

I'd go 7.1.2 rather than 5.1.4

darvtoo much native 7.1 to not take advantage off :D

if have the option wire for 7.1.4 ... as one day ....what's another couple of speakers to slip in :)

• Like 1

On 22/08/2017 at 8:13 PM, al said:

I'd go 7.1.2 rather than 5.1.4

darvtoo much native 7.1 to not take advantage off :D

if have the option wire for 7.1.4 ... as one day ....what's another couple of speakers to slip in :)

I will definitely will be wiring for .4

I have a little slush fund I add to so it shouldn't be long till I save up..

ill use my old Marantz 7.1 for the decking. Poor darling thinks I'm selling it.

Bless her.

On 22/08/2017 at 5:52 PM, cwt said:

And one other little thing :bye:http://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-OLED77W7T-oled-4k-tv

oh shivers ! goodness :D 

On 23/08/2017 at 8:41 PM, Slightlyforward1503565351 said:

I will definitely will be wiring for .4

I have a little slush fund I add to so it shouldn't be long till I save up..

ill use my old Marantz 7.1 for the decking. Poor darling thinks I'm selling it.

Bless her.

yep no harm in doing in stages. and yeah happy wife happy life and all that, gotta keep them happy :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, :) al said:

oh shivers ! goodness :D 

yep no harm in doing in stages. and yeah happy wife happy life and all that, gotta keep them happy :)

An investment like that deserves a dolby atmos setup to match  Al :)  ; considering cost apparently is not a factor in this paradigm ;  also speaking of which dolby has just upped  the previous channel total to 34 https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf :emot-bang:

btw you get a pass in prewiring for this brett:ninja:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cwt said:

An investment like that deserves a dolby atmos setup to match  Al :)  ; considering cost apparently is not a factor in this paradigm ;  also speaking of which dolby has just upped  the previous channel total to 34 https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf :emot-bang:

oh gosh ! that is jus plain nuts ! hehe

i seriously wonder what home theatre is going to be able to accept 34 speakers :D

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cwt said:

Thanks Col.

its taken me awhile to save thats for sure.