Help me setup a theatre room

great work ! 

speakers look like have  heck of lot more room to work with !!!!

I would consider evening up the speakers placement wiht the room though. also would try the sub both in corner and inside of the mains. corners can make subs boomy... and you might find its better on inside. with the sub next to unit looks like should still have plenty of room for the mains on the side without them needing to be stuck in the corners or against the walls :)

I'd also keep the mains out the corners too. if worried of the mains sticking out....just move the unit forward...you have plenty of room to work with and will help getting behind in to plug / unplug things :)

projector vs TV ? 

depends on your use....

screen size is easy with projectors... flat panels it gets expensive and unless going for the very best if fussy the larger you go the more obvious the faults :D  flat panels can work in all conditions dont need light control and can be used e.g. with blinds thrown back on that sliding door...

projectors are not plug play though... they need a bit of thought in installation... selection of screen even particular projector going for vs screen size can throw... need mounts cables etc. worth hassle for me ...but maybe not for everyone ? 

so depends what you want ?

if going projectors work back from your viewing distance. how far from the screen are you going to be ? you want to be sitting  somewhere in the 2.5-3x screen heights  or if going a bit more extreme for size 2.2x screen heights not sure you want to be any bigger ... and then have got both screen size and also allow selection of projector you are thinking off.

Do you think this is better I can't decide lounges close to sliding door....  I don't know I might just change it back can't win I like the lounge layout better on my original go but didn't like the front unit now it's opposites don't like the lounge reversed but like the unit...

1 minute ago, bfhoon said:

Do you think this is better I can't decide lounges close to sliding door....  I don't know I might just change it back can't win I like the lounge layout better on my original go but didn't like the front unit now it's opposites don't like the lounge reversed but like the unit...

your rooms probably too big really for the lounges trying to fit in, can try them along the sliding door. but could be awkward. some people are ok to walking into couch back, and pity would block the view out as well with curtain pulled back

but anyways its your room and what ever you really feel most comfortable with is right for you. whats great is you are having a go changing things around to see what best suits :)

Changed it back to original it will do. Now I think I may just go TV no experience with projectors. I'm guessing I want a 4k up scaling had 1080p TV. What's my best bet watching movies last thing I owned was a dvd player back in 2002. Should I invest in a blu Ray. Or can I stream movies online etc etc. can anyone direct me to a write up on what to buy entering the market. 

sorry for this but... you changed it back? to the un-workable design you had before? sorry best advise is to just buy a tv and put it on the tv stand.. forget trying to get good sound etc as members have tried to help but obviously sound. pj and ht experience is not what you are actually looking for. this is fine though at least you know you want a tv room and not a ht room.

best of luck with your setup.

I think it looks better and more practical. I mean it sounds alright probably not the best but someone's always gonna have something better than you. Maybe I'm just picky. As previously explained my only real issue has been the rear surround speakers due to my stupid placement. Maybe if I do the audessey mic test I can improve them which I haven't done no mic. I have taken onboard people's advice. It's an awkward room with the furniture I have 

6 hours ago, bfhoon said:

As previously explained my only real issue has been the rear surround speakers due to my stupid placement

However misplaced surrounds can end up pretty much ideal placed front heights as suggested :)

however it is your call. , what ever makes happy. We can but suggest

I had left this one alone but it was bugging me. This is just my opinion, take from it what you will.

You seem keen on your original layout, like others, I think that this suits a TV room but I think that that is what you might be after at the moment. If you do go projector, it will be offset as will the front sound stage (my situation). Currently, even if you go in or on ceiling, unless on stands, your surrounds can not go in an ideal location as the glass sliding door is in the way.

You could take the opportunity using the room as you plan to with a television for a couple years, save up and plan for slimmer recliners and plan around switching the room around later and adding a projector and surround speakers that can go on the walls. Either leave your current surrounds where they are as front heights as al suggested or move them to the other end as rear surrounds or surrounds.

If you keep the rack at the rear of the room, it will be closer to the projector, reducing the length of HDMI cable required, downside will only be access for manually changing discs or if you want a gaming setup however it will make for a more open looking room and utilise some of the space behind the seating.

In summary set it up as you find it the easiest now but start investigating furniture and equipment, If you decide to go Home Theatre, you will soon discover what we are talking about.

rumpus1.jpg

On 06/08/2017 at 3:53 PM, bfhoon said:

Do you have a link for the $21 mic you had delivered and will it work with the onkyo.

You will find these on eBay from time to time.  Don't worry about getting the exact "Onkyo" mic as I have 9 of these from Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon and they all seem to work the same.

Right now, I am using one of the Denon mics because the lead is way thicker than the string thin lead of the original Pioneer Mic for my AVR.  The calibrated mic is needed to get Audyssey, MCACC or YPOA correct, depending on your system and in the end, it sets levels, time alignment and may apply some EQ.  They are not perfect, but do a reasonable job and certainly better than trying to adjust by ear alone.  

After that, if you want better, you need to look at REW and Mini-DSP calibrated mics (about $75USD for the Mic and software is free).  A little tricky to get your head around, but totally worth the effort IMO.  

Also sound treating is essential for any good sounding room.    

1 hour ago, bfhoon said:

just wondering if anyone can tell me if this projector is a piece of junk. I can get one for $150 is it worth it or wait for something decent. 

http://optimax3d.oraclemedialab.com/products/P800/

Thanks 

These things are 800 x 600 at best and the crappiest LCDs around.  The market them as HD because they have a HDMI input and apparently can handle a 1080P input, but they DO NOT come close to being 1080P.  

On 8/5/2017 at 10:52 PM, hopefullguy said:

entry level (my prefered.. w1070 w1110 owner) 2nd hand from around $500... new around $900 to $1300 (benq w1070, w1090, w1110.. epson 5200, 5300 )

i did pick up a older viewsonic lcd full hd pj for $200 that is very good value for money from this forum.

@hopefullguy gave you a few good suggestions earlier in this thread.

I would keep away from data projectors that are designed for office, school or hall presentations and try to stay with a home theatre projector. Make sure you are looking at a reputable brand and perhaps continue check here before you buy so that you know what to look for.

As for watching TV on a projector, you need a tuner. Most people get a set top box, I use a Panasonic Blu-ray DVR as an all in one solution. If you are lucky, you could pick up a Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL Blu-Ray Disc Recorder for under $300 in the online auctions or a lower level one like a 750GL which is still quite good for around $100 when they come up.

Try to learn as much as you can about the projector before you buy though!

8 minutes ago, Mikeyday said:

@hopefullguy gave you a few good suggestions earlier in this thread.

I would keep away from data projectors that are designed for office, school or hall presentations and try to stay with a home theatre projector. Make sure you are looking at a reputable brand and perhaps continue check here before you buy so that you know what to look for.

As for watching TV on a projector, you need a tuner. Most people get a set top box, I use a Panasonic Blu-ray DVR as an all in one solution. If you are lucky, you could pick up a Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL Blu-Ray Disc Recorder for under $300 in the online auctions or a lower level one like a 750GL which is still quite good for around $100 when they come up.

Try to learn as much as you can about the projector before you buy though!

Thanks I dont know much about projectors and its hard to decipher the office ones from home theatre ones. Ill Look out for a benq one I guess. So how does a blu ray DVR work as a tv tuner card as well or are they built in. 

Just now, bfhoon said:

Thanks I dont know much about projectors and its hard to decipher the office ones from home theatre ones. Ill Look out for a benq one I guess. So how does a blu ray DVR work as a tv tuner card as well or are they built in. 

Check for the actual pixel count on the chip set, not just what it says it can handle as as input.  Anything with a native 4 x 3 AR is BAD.  16:10 is also common in the way of data grades for presentations and for HT, you want 16:9, not 16:10.  

So you are looking for 1920 x 1080 and nothing less.  Try and get some lens shift if you can.    

Sometimes a data or presentation projector has a 1920 x 1080 chip set and these often have 4200 - 5000 lumens.  Generally considered too bright for a HT, they are useful when you have a BIG screen to light.  They can be calibrated to work in the HT, but you will need test gear (and the skills) to get that right.  

57 minutes ago, bfhoon said:

So how does a blu ray DVR work as a tv tuner card as well or are they built in. 

I meant PVR. Personal Video Recorder or is it DVR. Digital video recorder, anyway:

The Blu-ray player has twin or triple inbuilt tuners and a hard drive to record television to. Some can also burn video to disc for external storage.

Edited by Mikeyday

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried a textured paint base? I was thinking about light reflection, and no matter how flat the paint is, there is still some level of reflection expected. So think about a bitumen road at night vs looking at gravel. The irregularity of the surface would make reflections more diffuse. Or think velvet vs another fabric made from the same fibres. It is the same principal.

Not something ultra chunky, but medium. or small.

Edited by Mobe1969

51 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Has anyone tried a textured paint base? I was thinking about light reflection, and no matter how flat the paint is, there is still some level of reflection expected. So think about a bitumen road at night vs looking at gravel. The irregularity of the surface would make reflections more diffuse. Or think velvet vs another fabric made from the same fibres. It is the same principal.

Not something ultra chunky, but medium. or small.

@oztheatre could help here with some experience as have seen him post on this before as to paints to use :)

I used Suede Effects "Pompee Ash" (spelling?), a nice dark grey, for two reasons - 

1. I can't paint to save myself, so the rougher the effect the better it looks

2. It is matt finish, but because it is textured, it does not mark like normal matt paints.  

My first dedicated room was matt black and I would NEVER go there again.  Once it was marked, you could not clean it without making it worse.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CAVX said:

I used Suede Effects "Pompee Ash" (spelling?), a nice dark grey, for two reasons - 

1. I can't paint to save myself, so the rougher the effect the better it looks

2. It is matt finish, but because it is textured, it does not mark like normal matt paints.  

My first dedicated room was matt black and I would NEVER go there again.  Once it was marked, you could not clean it without making it worse.  

Nice! That is actually what I was thinking, either the Dulux Tuscan or Stone (not because I can't paint though :) ). My thoughts on the texture were more for light reasons though.

Did you paint it or roll?

1 hour ago, Mobe1969 said:

Nice! That is actually what I was thinking, either the Dulux Tuscan or Stone (not because I can't paint though :) ). My thoughts on the texture were more for light reasons though.

Did you paint it or roll?

You are supposed to roll a base coat and go back and texture.  I found that just slapping on a nice thick coat with a 4" wide brush gives the best result.  There is a black base pigment added that tends to come out this way.  If you do as the instructions suggest, you don't get the black showing through.  

HERE is my room build.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CAVX said:

You are supposed to roll a base coat and go back and texture.  I found that just slapping on a nice thick coat with a 4" wide brush gives the best result.  There is a black base pigment added that tends to come out this way.  If you do as the instructions suggest, you don't get the black showing through.  

HERE is my room build.

Pretty impressive! And ingenious.

6 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Pretty impressive! And ingenious.

Thanks, and even after 7 years, I still like it. 

It is still my chill out place and I actually like listening to music in there.  I think the treatments (and they don't need to be expensive, mine were a few hundred) really make the room what it is.  After EQ, I got a pretty flat response.  Next upgrade is probably going to be ATMOS.  

If I could change anything, it would be size by making it bigger.