Consistently Good Movie Sequels

We all have seen how many movie sequels suck, with studio cashing in on sequels with “more of the same” scripts and lame plots. :unsure:    It is not easy to produce movie sequels which are all consistently good; often the second one falls below expectations. 

What are the movie sequels (including prequels?) that you have found to be all consistently good?  It is not enough being a fan of a particular series because one tends to ignore the not-so-good ones.  E.g. am a Star Wars fan but with 1 dud, will not make this thread. Please nominate your consistently good movie sequels (without spoilers please, just in case someone has not watched the movies).

Toy Story 1,2 and 3

image.png.072ac29855930b5403edd5d696c1c785.png

Outstanding movies which had wonderful scripts suitable for both young and old.  Unusually, each movie could be watched standalone but watching the movies in sequence brings added dimensions.  And who can forget “The Claaaaaaw” in no. 3?  Difficult to find movies which combine humour, action, emotional tugs, character development, plots so well.  Unusual to see all 3 movies do this consistently.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JSmith said:

... oh and Indy!

the-f-ble-indiana-jones-actually-changed-archeology-theres-statistical-14585261.png

JSmith :ninja:

An interesting fact!  :o   For me, Indi #2 was a slight let down, but #4 not as good.     And that is what I fear when they release Toy Story 4...

1 minute ago, Snoopy8 said:

An interesting fact!  :o   For me, Indi #2 was a slight let down, but #4 not as good.     And that is what I fear when they release Toy Story 4...

Yeah agree about 4, but the first 3 were good sequels to each other.

4 was more of a re-visit which was done as well as it could have been, but the idea was already a bit "old hat" by that time, pardon the pun. ;)

JSmith :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

51 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

I loved all the Jason Bourne movies, including the one he wasn't in!  

Haven't seen the Jeremy Renner one 

48 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

....and the Star Trek reboot series with Chris Pine as James T Kirk.

Thought the second one (with BC) was good, but the third one kinda lame 

Thank you all for reviving this thread. The key criteria for posting movie sequels here is consistency of all in the series. One lame one should disqualify it.

On that note, I still have not seen Toy Story 4.  I loved 1,2 and 3 and am reluctant to spoil that aura.  I suspect no. 4 will disqualify Toy Story from here! :cry: 

Please keep posting (with no spoilers).

Mission Impossible. To be honest, that is the rare one where IMHO they get better and better. MI1 was fine, I don't really like 2 much although many do, but 3 onwards, once Abrams got involved, they just get better and better. IMHO.

Edited by Mobe1969
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LHC said:

Harry Potter were quite good especially for fans of the books. Expectations were exceptionally high and the studio mostly delivered. 

LOTR were fantastic; the Hobbit not so much. 

I thought prisoner of azkabah (sp) was the best.

• Like 1

Before Sunrise, Sunset, Midnight. All brilliant movies in their own right. The next, if made, should only be 2 years away. Hawke and Deply still acting so hopefully it will come.

I love that these are all more or less filmed in a "real time" nature, only covering a single night afternoon and evening each time.

https://www.lady-first.me/article/ethan-hawke-teases-another-before-film,11960.html

Edited by blybo