Help..how do i convert my website to SSL?

Hi guys, well, my ex husband had a cooking business that has a website. I have a small request, if anyone here has an idea of how to correctly convert a website to SSL i would be grateful, and in my case you are basically talking to a beginner :lol:

Edited by le vickie

This depends..... is someone hosting your website for you? Like godaddy etc? Or are you guys hosting your own business web page yourself from home or at the business?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

On 19.7.2017 at 11:32 PM, Berzo said:

This depends..... is someone hosting your website for you? Like godaddy etc? Or are you guys hosting your own business web page yourself from home or at the business?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

From home.

I have a few questions and comments

1.  The website belongs to your ex-husband. Why are you helping with it?

2. Does the site store any personal information about users or conduct any financial transactions? If no, then there's no reason to install a SSL certificate.

3. You mention that the site is hosted a 'home'. Do you mean on a personal computer? What sort of Internet connection do you have? I hope it's NBN, because if it's ADSL then the site is going to run like a dog as soon as more than a few people try accessing it at the same time.

Yeah I agree with Snoopy there's a bit to it. That guide looks good.

Also if your web server is behind a router/firewallat home u may need to port forward 443/SSL to your sever. Also open the port.

On 25.7.2017 at 11:14 AM, murgles said:

I have a few questions and comments

1.  The website belongs to your ex-husband. Why are you helping with it?

2. Does the site store any personal information about users or conduct any financial transactions? If no, then there's no reason to install a SSL certificate.

3. You mention that the site is hosted a 'home'. Do you mean on a personal computer? What sort of Internet connection do you have? I hope it's NBN, because if it's ADSL then the site is going to run like a dog as soon as more than a few people try accessing it at the same time.

It's sadly ADSL and just because he is my ex-husband does not mean that we cannot work together (when necessary)..because the website belongs to the both of us.

On 25.7.2017 at 10:51 AM, Snoopy8 said:

Not a trivial process. See this.  Suggest getting someone to do the conversion.

I checked it out..not the most beginner friendly but i will be giving it a shot either way. Thanks!

15 hours ago, le vickie said:

It's sadly ADSL

You really, really, really should get it hosted somewhere else. i.e. find a hosting company.

If there's a power blackout at your house, if you computer gets switched off, if your internet goes down, if somebody at your house starts uploading to the cloud then your site becomes inaccessible.

Go to a friend's house and ask them to access your site on a couple of computers at the same time. This is what your customers experience. I expect it to be slooooooooooow.

Plus your site is vulnerable to hackers as you don't have the proper security mechanisms. Do you have any backups?

SSL is the least of your worries.

On 26.7.2017 at 1:34 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Good luck...

After struggling to understand what exactly i was doing...i finally got a grip of things. I have learned a thing or two from reading this  https://www.1and1.co.uk/digitalguide/websites/website-creation/how-do-i-convert-my-site-to-ssl-and-https/

and given that the main purpose of this was to protect our website's data and most importantly all of our online transactions, i really needed to learn the basics!..Glad to say that i just had my SSL certificate installed and my wordpress site (well, half-owned site) has officially been converted to SSL....Yiihaa! Happy dance! :cheer:

My next step now is to learn how to implement a permanent 301 redirect on a page level.