Projector calibration

What is the best way for an amature to get the best image out of a new jvc projector.Mine will be arriving soon and I would like to know at least something before I pick it up.Knowing where to start would be a great help.

Easiest: Order one of the following Blu Rays (in order of difficulty)

Disney WOW http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Disney-WOW-World-of-Wonder-Blu-ray/16216/

Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Digital-Video-Essentials-HD-Basics-Blu-ray/162668/

or

Spears and Munsil HD Benchmarks and Calibration Disc 2nd Edition: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Spears-and-Munsil-HD-Benchmark-3D-Blu-ray/75968/

Or you can did around here and elsewhere and make your own disc from freely available patterns/test Gifs and avi's on the internet.

I personally think DVE is the easiest one to pull out and use for a quick check.

Edited by Guest

disney wow for basics to get going out of box is very good for blu-ray

jvc does have an autocal....though am not sure if its been fixed for Xx500 series which think getting.

for HDR there are a couple of things in the sony eggs (patterns on sony uhds) and also there is the RM files  which goes further.

thats all short of a full calibration but wouldn't want to do that for atleast 250 hours...

37 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

What is the best way for an amature to get the best image out of a new jvc projector.Mine will be arriving soon and I would like to know at least something before I pick it up.Knowing where to start would be a great help.

Set up discs will only get you so far... really you need measuring equipment like a colorimeter for a proper "calibration".

I find the Spears and Munsill 2 BD the best and most thorough of the setup discs.

Using such a disc will only allow you to setup that device only, whereas measuring equipment will allow you to calibrate all inputs including FTA TV, Foxtel etc. Once can also run test patterns from a PC, however once again that will only setup the PC input.

JSmith :ninja:

Did you say getting the best picture quality ?  Well, there is only one way or two ways to get the best.  Get it done by a pro calibrator or learn to calibrate your projector.  Getting the correct greyscale calibration is the most important aspect in getting the best out of any display device.   There is no other way to get to the best.

He did say amateur... which I assume ment not a professional?

the best approach for a noob is probably an out of the box calibration BD.

6 minutes ago, Dr Chopsus said:

He did say amateur... which I assume ment not a professional?

the best approach for a noob is probably an out of the box calibration BD.

Amateur,  it is all about how far or how deep you want to get in getting the best pic out of a TV.   Packages like Calman and Chromapure are aimed at both pro and amateur.   I am an amateur and I did calibrate my TV and projector,  I also profile my printer and paper to get the best of printing.   Getting a box calibration BD won't get the best pic.  Getting the best of pic in both print and visually involves money, time and effort to learn. 

Yes @jliang70, as have I ... but that is a fair bit down the road from what was asked mate.

i suspect telling the op to spend $2000+ on a colorimeter and ChromaPure or similar is not the solution he was looking for, but yes, that's the ideal way (to cut out the need for a professional).

Edited by Guest

No, it is not a fair bit down the road from what was asked mate.   The question from OT was ' what is the best way for an amateur to get the best out of a  new JVC projector ? '   Did the OT mention anything related to cost, effort, learning curve in his original question ?  The answer is No and therefore I stand by my first post.

Ok you win ...sheesh :blink:

p.s did you note that I pointed him in this direction, before you solved the world, with the link to the diy calibration 4 dummies thread from 2009?

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Dr Chopsus said:

Yes @jliang70, as have I ... but that is a fair bit down the road from what was asked mate.

i suspect telling the op to spend $2000+ on a colorimeter and ChromaPure or similar is not the solution he was looking for, but yes, that's the ideal way (to cut out the need for a professional).

Well,  you don't have to spend $2000 to get decent result out of Chromapure or Calman.  I started out with the old Chroma 5 meter with Chromapure  that costs about $500 when the dollar was close 90 cents US.  Even with that the end result was far better than what  I could have done by using my own eyes.

Edited by jliang70

11 minutes ago, Dr Chopsus said:

Ok you win ...sheesh :blink:

p.s did you note that I pointed him in this direction, before you solved the world, with the link to the diy calibration 4 dummies thread from 2009?

Yes, I saw that .  I am not arguing with you.  Just offer an opinion.  Cheers.

5 hours ago, drummerboy01 said:

homework on all these options

X-Rite Colormunki is a cheap entry level option that can be used for projection systems too;

http://www.xrite.com/categories/calibration-profiling/colormunki-display

http://www.digidirect.com.au/accessories/colour_calibration/x-rite_colormunki_display_cmundis

There are also good 2nd hand options on eBay if you wanted to explore the more advanced calibration tools for much less than brand new prices.

JSmith :ninja:

16 hours ago, drummerboy01 said:

I am currently venturing in to the world of JVC Autocal with the Spyder 5 for my X5000

Running an autocal and loading a custom gamma curve is a good start.

8 minutes ago, al said:

the spider 5 express can be bought cheaply from digital direct, cheaper when they have the 10% through eBay :)

http://www.digidirect.com.au/accessories/colour_calibration/datacolor_spyder_5_express

From the spiel:

Next Generation Spyder5 is compact and portable with a built-in lens cap, and guarantees color accuracy with the industry’s only patented 7-detector optical engine.

That's a pretty impressive claim for under $200 ... perhaps only in America (going by the spelling LOL)?

3 minutes ago, STAIN0 said:

i have read it may be difficult to get an accurate one. many have been sent back for replacement.

i think that is part of the challenge... but only thing that will work with jvc autocals. though that said i believe the autocal on the new gen Xx500 series jvc is still broke so not sure how much use it is.

3 minutes ago, STAIN0 said:

i have read it may be difficult to get an accurate one. many have been sent back for replacement.

Hmmm ... that's what I was wondering ... age, even on the shelf can cause drift on a lot of colorimeters, but I don;t know about this one specifically.

maybe the guarantee should read "we guarantee we will keep replacing them until you get an accurate one"

having said this, it's only what i have read. i am still yet to discover how my own spyder 5 pro performs.

I gave up with all the fiddling to do it properly ... it's be 2 years since I dragged out my old ID2 ... partly because I don;t want to find out how inaccurate it is.

I keep tinkering with buying Auto-Cal software and a new sensor ... but also wonder if I wait for not much longer this will become part of most 4K Projectors when I get around to upgrading.