Hi all, I'm not writing a complaint as such but has anyone else had issues with their JVC X500,  or related, where it doesn't seem to stay in focus? 

Every time I turn it on I need to refocus it. Even if I save the lens memory and recall it, it doesn't seem to remember the focus, it's slightly off. 

Even after watching an hour or two of content it seems a little out of focus again. It's only minor but I can tell and am fixing it constantly. 

My screen is a fixed frame just for reference. 

If anyone has had the same and found a way to fix please let me know. 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, Kazz said:

That's certainly not normal behavior my X5000 doesn't do it, in fact I've never had a pj with this issue.   I'd call JVC about it. 

Agree, not normal behaviour - I've only tweaked my X500's focus once in the 21 months I've owned it. But then again, I'm not running 4 x DD18s - could the issue be due to vibration?

Still, I'd expect the projector to be resistant to vibration unless it was particularly extreme.

I remember seeing an Epson at TCC losing focus and the mount coming loose during a demo of a PSA Triax sub, albeit the false ceiling was flapping around like the proverbial dunny door in a hurricane.

it sounds like the settings are being reset with each power cycle ... is anything else reverting back to the factory settings

I've had my X500 for 2 years and have never had this issue.  It's seems unusual considering the image goes out of focus after an hour or two of watching.  I agree with Kazz, contact JVC about it - and pray it isn't a "rare" part like my JVC ballast or you'll be without the unit for over 6 months now waiting on repair...  :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

I've had my X500 for 2 years and have never had this issue.  It's seems unusual considering the image goes out of focus after an hour or two of watching.  I agree with Kazz, contact JVC about it - and pray it isn't a "rare" part like my JVC ballast or you'll be without the unit for over 6 months now waiting on repair...  :rolleyes:

If you haven't got it back after 6 months, I'd be insisting on a refund under Aus consumer law.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

If you haven't got it back after 6 months, I'd be insisting on a refund under Aus consumer law.

Still at the shop and waiting...2.5 years old with a 3 year warranty.

Mate I find Aus consumer law to be strong in writing, but logistically a PITA.  I can write a letter saying I want a refund and end up at VCAT (because the retailer won't just shell out a refund, I've already verbally asked), or I can continue to wait for the repair which is taking place at JLS Electronics. 

I'm frustrated, but feel for the retailer because I think they've gone in to bat for me, it's JVC who have been unprofessional.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread, just a heads up to the OP about my experience with a JVC X500.

1 minute ago, Kaynin said:

Still at the shop and waiting...2.5 years old with a 3 year warranty.

Mate I find Aus consumer law to be strong in writing, but logistically a PITA.  I can write a letter saying I want a refund and end up at VCAT (because the retailer won't just shell out a refund, I've already verbally asked), or I can continue to wait for the repair which is taking place at JLS Electronics. 

I'm frustrated, but feel for the retailer because I think they've gone in to bat for me, it's JVC who have been unprofessional.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread, just a heads up to the OP about my experience with a JVC X500.

You have the choice to go JVC for the refund too.

Anyway, back on topic.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

You have the choice to go JVC for the refund too.

Anyway, back on topic.

My understanding is that you can't request a repair, refund or replacement from the manufacturer, only the retailer - which is why I haven't been on the phone to JVC and have kept my dealings with the retailer.  I think you can only demand compensation related to loss of value from the manufacturer.  Like I said, Aus consumer law can be a real PITA.

From  the ACCC website -https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund#repair-replacement-or-refund

Approaching the retailer or manufacturer

The retailer who sold you the product or service cannot refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer. You can approach the manufacturer or importer directly, however, you will only be entitled to recover costs from them, which include an amount for reduction in the product’s value and in some cases compensation for damages or loss. You cannot demand a repair, replacement or refund from the manufacturer.

On 2017-6-24 at 6:59 AM, Quark said:

Agree, not normal behaviour - I've only tweaked my X500's focus once in the 21 months I've owned it. But then again, I'm not running 4 x DD18s - could the issue be due to vibration?

Still, I'd expect the projector to be resistant to vibration unless it was particularly extreme.

I remember seeing an Epson at TCC losing focus and the mount coming loose during a demo of a PSA Triax sub, albeit the false ceiling was flapping around like the proverbial dunny door in a hurricane.

Thanks Quark and all. 

It's just one of those little annoyances I've never got to calling JVC about. Good to hear it is abnormal and I'll follow it up. 

Re the subs.. Yes, it has been proven if I give the room a hard time for some reason or another it does move. I know I can make my picture blur under massive LFE exposure (i.e Interstellar scenes) but not often. 

Thanks, I'll see what they say. 

And if definitely is with each power on/off cycle. 

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:47 PM, Neilsy said:

Thanks Quark and all. 

It's just one of those little annoyances I've never got to calling JVC about. Good to hear it is abnormal and I'll follow it up. 

This is incidental and a long shot Neilsy but cant hurt to disable the e-shift and see if the focus still shifts over time . One less data point when you ask JVC at least ;)

Setup was a snap with the motorized lens control for zoom, focus, and lens shift, which offer more refined operation than other brands’ controls. Fine-tuning focus was a breeze with the JVC compared with the recent Sony I reviewed, but be sure you turn off the internal test patterns in the setup menu along with e-shift to get the best results when focusing
Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/jvc-procision-dla-x750r-3d-d-ila-projector-review-page-2#QXHtYserVW6Dh0j1.99

On 23/06/2017 at 11:22 PM, Neilsy said:

Hi all, I'm not writing a complaint as such but has anyone else had issues with their JVC X500,  or related, where it doesn't seem to stay in focus? 

Every time I turn it on I need to refocus it. Even if I save the lens memory and recall it, it doesn't seem to remember the focus, it's slightly off. 

Even after watching an hour or two of content it seems a little out of focus again. It's only minor but I can tell and am fixing it constantly. 

My screen is a fixed frame just for reference. 

If anyone has had the same and found a way to fix please let me know. 

Thanks 

neilsy just looking at signature  4 x velodyne DD18s ? for most theatres one of those would be enough. I would be not surprised if cant generate quite a bit of movement in the room ... house :D

get back to things though. ok if the screen is fixed... how have you got your projector fixed ? 

I ask this as many projector mounts are feeble completely innapropriate pieces of rubbish... and jvc are pretty decent projector.

I use the peerless precision gear mount that comes of its rear wall mount and its pretty secure... however even if using one of those I have known some to have ceiling mounted ....which moves with rooms above and sag etc. 

am trying to think of what else physically can move to get you out of focus. and we are talking gee fraction of mm I would suggest for that to happen.

other than that I have also read for instance not to set focus on jvc until warmed up some 20 min. realistically it is a physical device of steel and plastic and glass and mounts can flex/move a tad as well. that said its not something i myself have noticed to provide enough to be noticeable. but wondering if perhaps yours maybe on the outer of spec in this case.

anyways exploring the possibilities....

6 minutes ago, cwt said:
This is incidental and a long shot Neilsy but cant hurt to disable the e-shift and see if the focus still shifts over time . One less data point when you ask JVC at least ;)

have to disable to set focus in anyscase :) so maybe worth exploring too...

Thanks CWT and Al.

One thing JVC mentioned is updating the firmware and it appears I am on an old version (12 11.6 or something). So I'll try that.

Interesting al what you mentioned about not focusing in first 20 minutes - I do see that's when it's constantly changing slightly.. 

Yes, 4x DD18's has managed screen blur a few times but let's say I like my headroom & low distortion in bass. Paired with the Krix mains it is a very tight sound. 

I don't have it ceiling mounted, I have a fixed wooden shelf at the rear of the room fastened with wire harnessing which keeps it very still. 
I'll see of firmware does anything but also take note to not adjust focus within first 20 minutes of power on and see how I go.

Also, I have the same issue swapping Lens Memory. I have a 2.35:1 setting and a 16:9 zoomed setting saved. Switching between one or the other always results in focus blur even if I save both memories one after the other in a focused state.

18 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

Also, I have the same issue swapping Lens Memory. I have a 2.35:1 setting and a 16:9 zoomed setting saved. Switching between one or the other always results in focus blur even if I save both memories one after the other in a focused state.

This suggests there's an issue with the focus mechanism, but would still go ahead and update the firmware.

30 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

I don't have it ceiling mounted, I have a fixed wooden shelf at the rear of the room fastened with wire harnessing which keeps it very still. 
I'll see of firmware does anything but also take note to not adjust focus within first 20 minutes of power on and see how I go.

Is it secured to the shelf ... if the shelf is secure and projector isn't there is possibility of movement ... we are talking fractions here will throw focus. Quite possible the scope mechanism enough to jiggle ? The velodynes will definitely move anything they can :D

i have a picture that moves, front door that moved on hinges with pressure wave and things that spin around ... and I only run couple of Dd15s . 4x DD18s have 4x their output :D

ps not suggesting projector might not have an issue just trying to eliminate all other possible "variables"

Edited by :) al

14 minutes ago, al said:

Is it secured to the shelf ... if the shelf is secure and projector isn't there is possibility of movement ... we are talking fractions here will throw focus. Quite possible the scope mechanism enough to jiggle ? The velodynes will definitely move anything they can :D

i have a picture that moves, front door that moved on hinges with pressure wave and things that spin around ... and I only run couple of Dd15s . 4x DD18s have 4x their output :D

ps not suggesting projector might not have an issue just trying to eliminate all other possible "variables"

That is something I could consider, as technically, no it's not. And at the back of the room it will be copping all the LFE.
Nice to see another digital drive enthusiast. Truth be told I'm only on 3 units presently...4th has been at an 'authorised' repairer since February with no end in site...
Anyway, keeping on topic I might try secure the PJ itself.

14 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

That is something I could consider, as technically, no it's not. And at the back of the room it will be copping all the LFE.
Nice to see another digital drive enthusiast. Truth be told I'm only on 3 units presently...4th has been at an 'authorised' repairer since February with no end in site...
Anyway, keeping on topic I might try secure the PJ itself.

Would be really easy todo get some bolts from Bunnings same thread and length to replace the feet and will have secured through to shelf :) 

Edited by :) al

52 minutes ago, al said:

Would be really easy todo get some bolts from Bunnings same thread and length to replace the feet and will have secured through to shelf :) 

From memory they are M8 Bolts