Best Non 4k-Upshift Projector <$4k

Hi all, seeing the EOFY coming, thought I might ask around here to see if anyone come across any real deal on non 4k-upshift projector <$4k?

Shortlisted a few models based on my brief research i.e. Epson EH-TW9200 (discontinued, so only 8300?), Sony VPLHW45ES, BenQ W8000. Any other model worth looking into?

Looking for bargain buy only. Even better if it's brick & mortar in Perth. Cheers! 

If any Perth retailer could do good bundle deal with HT system & screen, I'm all ears too. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Tony O'Brien reviewed the W8000 over at StereoNET late last year.

http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/benq-w8000-thx-certified-projector-review

Despite the black levels it performed very well. I imagine being now under the W11000 and X12000 models and nearly a year old, one could likely be picked up at a pretty good price now.

What about the Epson TW9300? Current model, 4K upshift, goodish black levels, motorised everything, lens memory, 90% of the REC2020 colour pallette, accepts 4K signal, HDR, super bright etc... and be had for under 4..

54 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

What about the Epson TW9300? Current model, 4K upshift, goodish black levels, motorised everything, lens memory, 90% of the REC2020 colour pallette, accepts 4K signal, HDR, super bright etc... and be had for under 4..

Well, I thought of it, but I really can't be bothered with 4k contents at the moment (too expensive & not much available), so unless it's almost same price as those with no 4k upshift, I'm all ears..

Understood, but you don't want buyers remorse when in 12 months you can't watch any 4K content because you purchased x or y model for say $500 less.

It's not just 4K and the ability to accept the 4K signal, it's contrast, motion, rec2020 colour pallette.. motorised everything alone is worth $1000 imho, but everything else that comes with it makes it hard to beat. west coast hifi just go see them if you want local dealer, I could sell you one but if you want to support your local store they'll look after you for sure.

It's going to be mounted on ceiling, but i do agree the motorised lens is a great feature. I got conduit on the wall ready for HDMI cable too. As long the EPson 9300 is within $200 of standard HD projector, I'm definitely go it. 

@oztheatre what is a scope screen? 

Before settling on a projector, best to consider whether your room or preferred screen size is going to cause any issues - not all projectors suit every installation.

Suggest you let us know:

1. What size the room is
  2. What size screen you have in mind
  3. What level of light control there will be
  4. Any limitations on mounting the projector (overhead fans, need to mount on back wall etc)

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Before settling on a projector, best to consider whether your room or preferred screen size is going to cause any issues - not all projectors suit every installation.

Suggest you let us know:

1. What size the room is
  2. What size screen you have in mind
  3. What level of light control there will be
  4. Any limitations on mounting the projector (overhead fans, need to mount on back wall etc)
  1. What size the room is   3.8m X 4m ( screen on 4m wall), with sofa, probably 3.3m to screen
  2. What size screen you have in mind   100-110"?
  3. What level of light control there will be   dimmable LED light, but pretty pitch black when thick curtain is on
  4. Any limitations on mounting the projector (overhead fans, need to mount on back wall etc) . Thinking mounting on ceiling, unsure about mounting on wall, probably unlikely

OK, that size throw distance will bring some limits.

Sony 45ES won't quite squeeze in a 110" diagonal screen - you can run the numbers here (move the Throw Range slider to the minimum throw distance).

The Epson TW9300 will just fill a 110" screen, but you'll probably need to use a right angle HDMI connector and replace the power cord with a right angle one too. You can run the numbers here.

Current JVC projectors are similar to the Sony for required throw distance. I don't have the specs for a BenQ W8000, but if the optics are the same as the W7000, it's even more limited - down around 92".

When working out your throw distance you need to measure from lens to screen in a horizontal line, so the depth of the projector body (plus room for cable access) is added to the throw distance to see if things will work.

With your room a shelf mount on or against the back wall is an option, as is roof mounting.

5 hours ago, oztheatre said:

I actually do like the E-Shift capabilities of both the EPSON and JVC.  They really make BD shine as well as allowing you watch UHD content.  

WCG is something that once you see, you tend to want more of.  REC709 is great, but moving to 2020 is something else. 

This super bright bit needs to be discussed.  Because for a time, everyone wanted the biggest screen they could have and I am actually all for that especially for UHD.  However, the bigger the screen, the more light you need as well as tighter control over ambient light in your room.    D-Cinema specs only call for SRD requiring 14FL for a full white field.  However, once you move to HDR, you need a minimum of 29.29FL for the same, full white field.  Most projectors are not coming close, once the screen size exceeds 120".      

18 minutes ago, Quark said:

With your room a shelf mount on or against the back wall is an option, as is roof mounting.

I'm glad I went with a rear EQ rack set up.  Easier set up, easier maintenance and only need a short HDMI cable, so all these horror stories of sync issues (especially with 2160/60P) are virtually gone.  

Ok guys, I got a pretty good price on Epson 9300, so that's probably what I will go with. 

Any recommendation on ceiling mount? hifi shop asking $200 for one...thought I might buy one from ebay since got ebay sale too

Edited by gooner14

1 hour ago, Quark said:

OK, that size throw distance will bring some limits.

Sony 45ES won't quite squeeze in a 110" diagonal screen - you can run the numbers here (move the Throw Range slider to the minimum throw distance).

The Epson TW9300 will just fill a 110" screen, but you'll probably need to use a right angle HDMI connector and replace the power cord with a right angle one too. You can run the numbers here.

Current JVC projectors are similar to the Sony for required throw distance. I don't have the specs for a BenQ W8000, but if the optics are the same as the W7000, it's even more limited - down around 92".

When working out your throw distance you need to measure from lens to screen in a horizontal line, so the depth of the projector body (plus room for cable access) is added to the throw distance to see if things will work.

Throw distance meaning screen to back wall? or screen to seating position?

• Volunteer
7 minutes ago, R2Droid said:

Throw distance meaning screen to back wall? or screen to seating position?

Projector lens to screen = throw distance. 

1 hour ago, R2Droid said:

Ok guys, I got a pretty good price on Epson 9300 ($3999), so that's probably what I will go with. 

Any recommendation on ceiling mount? hifi shop asking $200 for one...thought I might buy one from ebay since got ebay sale too

One of the Peerless precision geared ones or Chief equivalent are what you want.

When setting up your HT projector you don't use keystone adjustments like a business presentation projector (this will lose resolution and potentially bring scaling artefacts), you use vertical and horizontal lens shift to shift your image on to the screen and centre it (albeit best to get the projector aligned to the centre of the screen when you mount both as the more horizontal lens shift you use, the less verticval shift is available and vice versa)). Before you use lens shift, you need to start with a perfectly rectangular image on the wall - this sounds easy, bit it's a right royal PITA as you need to get the projector dead level to a fraction of a mm and aligned so the light beam is at right angles to the wall you're projecting on. This requires very fine adjustment and the geared mounts allow you to turn an adjuster without having to manhandle the weight of the projector. Mounts with a ball and socket are the worst.

The local distributor for Peerless puts on a huge markup - better to buy from B&H Photo or Amazon.

I'd also suggest you get a mount with a small (say 30cm) drop down to get your projector down from the ceiling heat and into the airflow from your aircon in summer. It will last longer, especially in Perth.

3 minutes ago, CAVX said:

This is a big, heavy projector.  Given you need this at the back of the room, I'd be shelf or rack mounting.  

Agree, that's also an excellent option here (I have my projector shelf mounted).