pasey251503559582

$3-4K to spend, 2nd hand jvc options

My trusty CRT projector has finally failed after a decade of faithful use.

whilst I know what's wrong with it, parts are scarce and probably not worth the effort 

i have a fully light controlled room, with a 100" stewart st130 screen

Ive got probably $3-4K to spend. Closer to $3k ideally. Which model should I look towards to provide the best mix of performance/features. Remember I'm a contrast junkie so I want to keep the light floor low, hence the jvc preference 

Quark   

From the X35/55/75 series JVC had the reliability and lamp life/output issues sorted. The higher models in each series have slightly better contrast, the top of the line has the hand picked optics.

From the X500/700/900 series onward they'll accept a 4K signal but you need something like a Monoprice Blackbird device to get around HDCP 2.2.

I'd suggest buying the best you can reasonably afford. Check the convergence by zeroing out the convergence tweaks in the menu - I'd be wary of anything more than half a subpixel out. Units that have been run in air-conditioned rooms and mounted down off the ceiling a bit are likely to have a longer life.

Depending on room size and seating distance you might want to consider a larger screen - there'll be plenty of lumens.

Thanks

i do want to buy the best I can reasonably afford. i appreciate the insight.

im wary of a screen upgrade too, worried that other screens will struggle to match the Stewart. 

Quark   
2 hours ago, Quark said:

From the X500/700/900 series onward they'll accept a 4K signal but you need something like a Monoprice Blackbird device to get around HDCP 2.2.

I didn't make it clear that after the above series you no longer need anything extra to accept a 4K signal.

34 minutes ago, pasey251503559582 said:

Thanks

i do want to buy the best I can reasonably afford. i appreciate the insight.

im wary of a screen upgrade too, worried that other screens will struggle to match the Stewart. 

Good luck - I think you'll take some getting used to the extra brightness, even with the iris closed down.

You might be surprised how much better many of the cheap screens have got.

Yeah, I think the brightness will be the hardest thing to get used to. I might keep the studiotek screen and see if I can audition others in home (if anyone offers that)

where are you located, I know of a cheap X55 about to go on sale in melbourne, I mean sub $2.5k cheap with a new lamp

I moved to a JVC X9500 when the second bulb of my RS60 finally died. But I'm based in Brisbane.

The RS60 was the flagship. The 3D isn't anything to write home about. But the native contrast IMHO doesn't really lose out to the replacement I have.

I was looking to get $500 for it. And buyer has to get a new bulb. Maybe 250-500+ depending on whether you go for third party or not.

hi gang. Just to update this story. One forum member contacted me regarding his X7000, and while over my initial budget, I managed to scrape it in.

Have been well happy so far. Other than complete fade to black scenes, the projector is superior in every way to the CRT it replaced. So easy to setup too.

The problem now is of course to take advantage of it, I'm probably going to have to upgrade much or the rest of the system, for 4k, and Atmos and DTS:X

So now I'm scouting for new AV receivers, and come ceiling / wall speakers. I might put up another post about that search....

On 6/13/2017 at 2:56 PM, pasey251503559582 said:

hi gang. Just to update this story. One forum member contacted me regarding his X7000, and while over my initial budget, I managed to scrape it in.

Have been well happy so far. Other than complete fade to black scenes, the projector is superior in every way to the CRT it replaced. So easy to setup too.

The problem now is of course to take advantage of it, I'm probably going to have to upgrade much or the rest of the system, for 4k, and Atmos and DTS:X

So now I'm scouting for new AV receivers, and come ceiling / wall speakers. I might put up another post about that search....

Nice! Have you got pics of your setup ?:) How big is your screen and seating distance? Is your room fully light controlled and black ?:)

No pics since the upgrade yet. I have a 110" 16:9 Stewart studiotek screen.

seating is 3.8m from the screen.

Ok thanks. That's a nice screen. How much did it set you back? And where to buy Stewart screens