IJ22

Drowned Projector replacement suggestions..

IJ22   

Hiya's, first my tale of woe..a overloaded roof downpipe forced water back up an aircon condensation pipe to cause a small waterfall out of the aircon into my small hometheater..unfortunately my HT systems all sit nicely under the aircon.  So far the projector and PC are write offs and the amp and dvd player are under assessment.  The projector was a Panasonic AX100E. The is a well darkened room and is 6m long, 3.2m wide and 2.4m high..I was getting a screen width of about 4.2m (160ish inches).  The insurance policy is a new for old policy and I am on the out look for what a new suitable projector may be..suggestions or thought gratefully received!

Quark   

Panasonic has got out of home theatre projectors, but you can probably pick up a run-out AE8000 (which is the nearest modern equivalent to your model).

Watch out your insurer doesn't try to steer you towards a business projector - most will have poor contrast and noisy fans, plus many won't:

1. natively handle 24Hz (nearly all films) and create 50/60Hz judder
  2. have lens shift (optical shift in your AX100E manual)
  3. be suitable to your long throw
  4. be suited to a ceiling mount

If you're prepared to kick in some extra money, there are plenty of other options.

Posted (edited)

interesting  that AE8000 may be the basic panny but the ae100 is basically not even entry level benqw1090/epson eh5300 standard.

if they offer an ae8000 jump at it.. if not then $950 will get you entry level that is better than what you had...anything else is a bonus.

Edited by hopefullguy

Quark   
2 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

interesting  that AE8000 may be the basic panny but the ae100 is basically not even entry level benqw1090/epson eh5300 standard.

if they offer an ae8000 jump at it.. if not then $950 will get you entry level that is better than what you had...anything else is a bonus.

Insurers will generally accept equivalent model in the same brand unless penny pinching.

The Benqs are DLP - not sure if OP is susceptible to RBE effects. The Epson doesn't appear to have lens shift.

The Benqs and Epson are short/medium throw projectors and would probably need to be mounted mid-room on drop down mounts, longer HDMI cable, power point relocated so I'd expect this would reduce any savings from the insurer penny pinching.

Jliang70   
On 07/04/2017 at 5:15 PM, Quark said:

Insurers will generally accept equivalent model in the same brand unless penny pinching.

The Benqs are DLP - not sure if OP is susceptible to RBE effects. The Epson doesn't appear to have lens shift.

The Benqs and Epson are short/medium throw projectors and would probably need to be mounted mid-room on drop down mounts, longer HDMI cable, power point relocated so I'd expect this would reduce any savings from the insurer penny pinching.

But the Panasonic AX-100E is probably 10 years old and that is probably exceed the life span you would expect from a LCD projector. I don't know how the insurance company operates to cover this sort of replacement.

Quark   
20 minutes ago, Jliang70 said:

But the Panasonic AX-100E is probably 10 years old and that is probably exceed the life span you would expect from a LCD projector. I don't know how the insurance company operates to cover this sort of replacement.

OP says he has a new for old replacement policy - no mention of any age limit (which some do have). It's not like insurers don't charge extra for this sort of cover, so I'd be holding them to their word.

Jliang70   
23 hours ago, Quark said:

OP says he has a new for old replacement policy - no mention of any age limit (which some do have). It's not like insurers don't charge extra for this sort of cover, so I'd be holding them to their word.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

IJ22   

Well, the end result is they are fronting up for a Epson EH-TW6770W so am almost giddy with happiness..

Cheers all and thanks for the info and advice.

Cheers, Ian

Quark   
39 minutes ago, IJ22 said:

Well, the end result is they are fronting up for a Epson EH-TW6770W so am almost giddy with happiness..

Cheers all and thanks for the info and advice.

Cheers, Ian

That's a great outcome - hope it didn't take too much arm wrestling. :)