LG NEW Super UHD 4K TV 86SJ957T For the Black Family

1 hour ago, jutta said:

That Sony x8500 screen was the pick of all the big displays when I was searching. Bang for buck anyway. Great picture and well priced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the smaller 65" inch version of this TV. It took abut 24 hours for me to figure it was going back to JB HIFI and go back it did. A frustrating device because at times can look quite good but had terrible black uniformity, bad black levels in general and a green tinge in some areas that was very noticeable on whites. I now have an LG OLED.

Edited by Satanica

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Sony Specifications of the Sony KD 85X8500D. LG's is utter Disgrace for their pitiful Specification that leave the important specs out..

• Eco and energy saving

• Screen Size (measured diagonally) 85 inch, 214.8 cm
    • Power Consumption (On Mode / Standard) 273W
    • Annual Energy Consumption* 622 kWh/Year
    • Power Consumption (Standby) 0.5W
    • Light Sensor YES
    • Backlight Off Mode YES
    • Power Saving Modes YES
    • Dynamic Backlight Control YES
  • Picture and Audio Features

• Auto Wide Mode YES
    • Motion Enhancer Motionflow XR 800
    • Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE) YES
    • 24p True Cinema? YES
    • CineMotion / Film Mode / Cinema Drive YES
    • 4K X-Reality PRO YES
    • Wide Mode for PC Normal/Full1/Full2 for PC
    • Face Area Detection (2K only) YES
    • Picture Mode Vivid, Standard, Custom, Cinema Pro, Cinema Home, Sports, Animation, Photo-Vivid, Photo-Standard, Photo-Custom, Game, Graphics, HDR Video
    • Wide Mode Wide Zoom/Normal/14:9/Full/Zoom
    • Picture Features Summary TRILUMINOS DisplayHDR (High Dynamic Range)4K X-Reality PROMotionflow XR 800HzAdvanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE)24p True Cinema
    • HDR (High Dynamic Range) YES
    • Clear Phase Speaker YES
    • Audio Power Output 10W+10W
    • Sound Mode Settings Standard/ Cinema/ Live Football/ Music
    • S-Force Front Surround 3D YES
    • S-Master YES
    • Dolby Digital / Dolby Digital Plus / Dolby Pulse YES
    • Triluminos Display YES ( this is Sony's WIDE COLOR GAMUT)
  • Display

• Display Features Summary LCDLED backlight (Edge LED)
    • Resolution 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160)
    • LCD YES
    • LED Backlight Edge LED
    • 4K YES
    • Screen Size 85 (214 cm)
    • Aspect Ratio 16:9
    • Viewing Angle (Right / Left) 178(89/89)degree
    • Viewing Angle (Up / Down) 178(89/89)degree
  • Network Connectivity

• Android TV YES
    • Apps YES
    • Wireless Features Summary Wi-Fi DirectScreen Mirroring
    • Smart TV Apps Web browser
    • Screen Mirroring YES
    • TV Side View YES
    • Home Network Feature YES
    • Wireless LAN Standard Integrated
    • Web browser Yes(Opera)
    • Wi-Fi Direct YES
  • LED Backlight

• LED Backlight Edge LED
  • Aspect Ratio

• Aspect Ratio 16:9
  • Triluminos Display

• Triluminos Display YES
  • Video signal

• 1080 / 50p (HDMI / Component) YES
    • 3840 x 2160/24p YES
    • 3840 x 2160/25p YES
    • 3840 x 2160/30p YES
    • 3840 x 2160/50p YES
    • 3840 x 2160/60p YES
    • 4096 x 2160/24p (HDMI 2/3) YES
    • 1080 / 24p (HDMI only) YES
    • 480 / 60i YES
    • 480 / 60p YES
    • 576 / 50i YES
    • 576 / 50p YES
    • 720 / 24p (HDMI only) YES
    • 720 / 30p (HDMI only) YES
    • 720 / 50p YES
    • 1080 / 50i YES
    • 1080 / 30p (HDMI only) YES
    • 1080 / 60p (HDMI / Component) YES
    • 720/60p YES
    • 1080 / 60i YES
  • Design features

• Illumination LED YES
    • Stand Design Silver Slate
    • VESA Compatibility YES
  • Size & Weight

• TV without Table-top Stand Approx. 60.2 Kg
    • TV with Table-top Stand Approx. 65.6 Kg
    • TV without Table-top Stand (W x H x D) 191.7 x 110.9 x 7.3 cm
    • TV with Table-top Stand (W x H x D) 191.7 x 118.2 x 40.2 cm
    • Stand Width Approx. 598 mm
    • Box Dimensions (W x H x D) Approx. 2095 x 1246 x 403 mm
  • Interface

• Input and Output Terminals HDCP (2.2 (for HDMI1/2/3/4));Bluetooth (Ver4.1 HID/HOGP/3DSP/SPP);AC Power Input (1 Rear);RF Connection Input (1 Side);Composite Video Input (2 (1Side Analog Conversion/1Rear Hybrid w/Component));Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input (1 Rear);HDMI Connection (4(outside1, center3));Analog Audio Input Total (2 (1Analog Conversion/1Rear));Digital Audio Output (1 Rear);Audio Out (1 Side/Hybrid w/HP and Subwoofer Out);Headphone Output (1 Side/Hybrid w/HP and Subwoofer Out);Subwoofer Out (1 Side/Hybrid w/HP and Subwoofer Out);USB (3 Side);Ethernet Connection (1 Side);HDMI PC Input
    • HDMI Input 4(outside1, center3)
    • Composite Video Input 2 (1Side Analog Conversion/1Rear Hybrid w/Component)
    • Component Video Input 1 Rear
    • RF Connection Input 1 Side
    • Ethernet Input 1 Side
    • USB Input 3 Side
    • Audio Output 1 Side
    • Digital Audio Output 1 Side
  • Built-in tuners

• DVB-T (digital terrestrial) YES
    • DVB-T2 (digital terrestrial) YES
    • Analog YES
  • Special features

• Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) YES
    • On / Off Timer YES
    • BRAVIA Sync YES
    • Parental Control YES
    • USB Play YES
    • USB HDD Recording YES
    • Multiple Language Display ENG/zh_CN/zh_TW/AFR/ARA/IND/FAS/SWA/THA/VIE/ZUL/FRE/POR/RUS/ASM/BEN/GUJ/HIN/KAN/MAL/MAR/ORI/PAN/TAM/TEL
    • i-Manual YES
  • Compatibility

• Optional Accessories Wireless Subwoofer (SWF-BR100);Wallmount Bracket (SU-WL500 wituout tilt function)
Edited by Blackman

31 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

This is Sony Specifications of the Sony KD 85X8500D.

I'm thinking that considering how picky connoisseuring you are this panel won't do it for you. I'm happy to be wrong though.

Edited by Satanica

The trouble is We have a Very Big room with a larger 4 person lounge and Chairs ever side.
For Year My wife watched the Hecto watching movies with me andI NEVER CONSIDED the the viewing angle she was viewing. Onlt 1 months ago I decided to sit in her chair and i was SHOCKED that the Hecto at Her position where she sits was about 8 to 10% DARKER than mine position on the center of the screen this you now no why a IPS panel is recommended. Yes the Blacks are a not as good as a nanotech IPS and VA panel  but I have to consider my wife as she like my Daughter is coughing up plenty of $$$$$$ for the tv and the Two 4kPlayers we need.
Have a look at the Angles she is looking at the Hecto. Yes the Daughter is on the Other side Chair and sometime both sit with me if I don't FART to much.
Standing in front of her chair
DSC01052_zps6c3a5f64.jpg

That's amazing! That off wall mount with the back lighting .. master stroke!

8 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

Can I as you younger guy that is not  Stroke ridden (getting tired already) to search for this LG Tv as IT MUST DO the below!!!

Look at the New LG 86SJ957T it must be able to do the Video signal Support like 1080p (50, 60 Hz), 1080i (50, 60 Hz), 720p (50, 60 Hz), 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i ,4096x2160p(24, 50, 60Hz), 3840x2160p(24, 25, 30, 50, 60Hz), 1080p(30, 50, 60Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i(50, 60Hz), 720p(30, 50, 60Hz), 720/24p, 576p, 576i 480p, 480i

MAIN 1080P 50 and 60, 4096x2160p(24, 50, 60Hz and 3840x2160p(24, 25, 30, 50, 60Hz

All uhd TV's can handle all those lesser sd and hd resolutions Blackman so don't sweat it  ; they are just listing pal and ntsc resolutions and pal/ntsc differing frame rates . Tvs are 3840x2160 res and only some projectors use the other uhd resolution [4096x2160] . As for the frame rate [24;25;30;50;60] at uhd resolutions this is tied in with the hdmi version the tv can accept .You need hdmi2.0 for 60hz .

As for nano or not ; see if theres an equivalent range for aus as in the US  ; as the lesser models in the states don't get dolby vision or nano  ; cross reference that with the models pete said

If you search SJ85 on the LG site you'll get these three smaller TVs: 55", 60" and 65"

and they may well be the equivalent models without hdr10 or dv ..

http://televisions.reviewed.com/news/heres-lgs-entire-2017-tv-lineup

I watch NHK on Intelsat 19 at 166 Deg East at 1080P @ 60 hz and the Hisense TV UHD Does not like like it., Hecto is Perfect!!.

! I try to watch Fashion TV in 4k in 60 hz on another Satellite and the Hisense UHD spits the dummy out.I want a good 4K telly that plays 50 and 60 in 1080p and  in 2160 50 and 60 otherwise it no good for me and 3000 satelite channels

4 hours ago, Satanica said:

I'm thinking that considering how picky connoisseuring you are this panel won't do it for you. I'm happy to be wrong though.

I always get what I want when it comes to tv's nothing is perfect. It a case you get the best to suit you and my wife so she doesn't have poor pq via a acute angle. Anyhow the decision is still not in concrete.

1 hour ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

I watch NHK on Intelsat 19 at 166 Deg East at 1080P @ 60 hz and the Hisense TV UHD Does not like like it., Hecto is Perfect!!.

If your satellite box is set for 1080p60 that's a standard HDMI resolution for computer monitors. Astonishing the Hisense couldn't cope with it.

My Sony SXRD TV accepted 1080p60 HDMI way back in January 2007 (and a cheap Soniq set of mine accepted it in 2011).

Edited by MLXXX
To clarify that the 1080p60 is an output setting of the satellite box, rather than the broadcast format.

1 hour ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

! I try to watch Fashion TV in 4k in 60 hz on another Satellite and the Hisense UHD spits the dummy out.I want a good 4K telly that plays 50 and 60 in 1080p and  in 2160 50 and 60 otherwise it no good for me and 3000 satelite channels

Hmm http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/howto/reception.html ; is the hisense capable of mpeg4 or if older only mpeg2 ? that's 1 bottleneck .

For other channels if your sat setup emulates the above link ? any 2k res is downconverted to 1080i50 [ as we use that pal frame rate ] . 4k transmissions would have no clue sorry :huh:

Even uhd bluray is only 24p mostly and I don't have a htpc putting out 4k@60 ; btw if you are concerned with motion blur Geoff Morrison enquired about which were 60 or 120hz

So we asked. According to LG, the UF7600 is natively 60Hz, while the UF7700, UF8500, UF9500 are all 120Hz.

https://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/

Edited by cwt

14 hours ago, MLXXX said:

If your satellite box is set for 1080p60 that's a standard HDMI resolution for computer monitors. Astonishing the Hisense couldn't cope with it.

My Sony SXRD TV accepted 1080p60 HDMI way back in January 2007 (and a cheap Soniq set of mine accepted it in 2011).

The Hisense is a Pig of a TV but it was cheap and that it. In my Main tv room I have 7x 24 inch GVA monitors and they except anything from anywhere. They Are Brilliant and just for $190 each. Now I want a $13,800 TV to do the same> again If the sale rep goes not give the the info in writing I will considering not buying it BUT IF IT GIVE ME PROBLEMS in this department I will send it back as quick as I get it.

Can't wait till Monday. I will say the LG 86 SJ957T will be a good as the Hecto but I need to test it on 4K stuff at 60 hz because more and more stuff is coming out in 3840x 2160 @60 hz.

Also you would be surprised that the Hecto is about 5 to 8% Darker looking at the Angle the wife sits next to the blu ray cabinet. Yes I'm moving the Cabinet soon.

Last fortnight I took advice to Insulate our Lounge with "PINKY BALLS" (cut them in Half and used Adhesive salastic to glu them to the bottom of thelounge and chairs) Yes Nothing I found in Australia could be this good as the "PINKY BALLS" as they insulate the Lounge and Chairs for the SHAKERS and they do a fantastic Job and now the lounge shakes that much during bass that I had to wind the Dayton Sa230 Amp down 2 db or lose my filling out of my teeth.

I got the Pinky Balls from the US and the yanks swear by them as being the best and cheapest option for insulation

I'm always busy doing things. the Next Job will be the TV!!!.

DSC01890_zpsg1p0etdi.jpg

Edited by Blackman

8 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

I need to test it on 4K stuff at 60 hz because more and more stuff is coming out in 3840x 2160 @60 hz.

How did you come to that conclusion mate? There is STUFF ALL true 4K content at 24fps and effectively nothing in 4K 60Hz.

4K Bluray is the only delivery system that could hope to do 4K 60Hz properly and there is not one 60Hz title, nor is there likley to be in the foreseeable future because movies are shot at 24fps.

On line streaming services don't even have the data rate to do 4K at 24fps properly, let alone 60fps. You will be lucky to get more than 2K visible resolution out of streamed so called "4K".

12 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

I need to test it on 4K stuff at 60 hz because more and more stuff is coming out in 3840x 2160 @60 hz.

Bman if have billy lyn on uhd it is in 4k 60 and have to say it is THE best PQ I have ever seen. jaw dropping ! just sat there looking at it saying gee ! :D things like the uniforms, medals, blacks details everywhere punchy colours etc. a pure stunner ... and yeah will test your whole path re 4k 60 thats for sure. its locally released too so should be able to pick up from JB and such,

32871662032_849604cc9f_b.jpg

ps not sure what player you have but if have the pana...make sure its taken off its default that has 50/60 for 4k turned off :)

Please post up your first hand review once the new TV is in, keen to compare with the Hecto. Is it worth losing the 14" of real estate for 4K resolution. I would consider getting one too if it blows the hecto out of the water.

9 hours ago, said:

its locally released too

:lol:

Real 4K too and actually shot at 120fps;

"The film is notable for its technical execution as well, shooting at 120 frames per second (presented at a standard 24 for the Blu-ray release but 60FPS for this UHD release). Viewing the film at 24FPS yields an interesting perspective, presenting less a hyper-real take and more a fairly bland, straightforward, almost stage-production-quality picture built on close-ups and perspective shots that call attention to the emotion of the moment and the underlying character analysis playing at its center. At 60FPS, as with this release, it's an entirely different experience, and in a good way."

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Billy-Lynns-Long-Halftime-Walk-4K-and-3D-Blu-ray/166477/#Review

JSmith :ninja:

12 hours ago, Owen said:

How did you come to that conclusion mate? There is STUFF ALL true 4K content at 24fps and effectively nothing in 4K 60Hz.

4K Bluray is the only delivery system that could hope to do 4K 60Hz properly and there is not one 60Hz title, nor is there likley to be in the foreseeable future because movies are shot at 24fps.

On line streaming services don't even have the data rate to do 4K at 24fps properly, let alone 60fps. You will be lucky to get more than 2K visible resolution out of streamed so called "4K".

We are not talking about blu rays we are talking about Test TEST that NHK Japan, The Vatican, And Fashion TV did ON satellite SATELLITE with 3840X2160P @ variety of frequencies. They Also tested 8K!! ( No one has the Boxs for that).

There are Very few Satellite Decoder (Maybe 5) that Handle 4K and even less that can do 4 K @ 50 or 60 Hz. Honestly the the world does not evolve in blu ray I have been involve in Sat Industry since 1985 and I have a Very EXTREME System I say EXTREME System that No one HAS Full stop a 3 Part system  being a Farm Comprised of  8 Dishes One Motorised controlled buy an Inclined Tracker done via the i7 Computer Yes dishs off all sized from 65 CM to 3M , My Main Tv Room which I call control room  with a Hecto and Plenty of GVS Monitors doing monitoring and I have a Dedicate Computer Room with Two i7 desktops Just for Controlling everything.

I want a TV that handle Today/Now and the Future as the 2016 Sony  KD 85X8500D does what I want so Lets see what the NEW LG Does.

AGAIN I'm NOT TALKING ABOUT BLU RAY!!

Edited by Blackman

10 hours ago, RonRonson said:

Please post up your first hand review once the new TV is in, keen to compare with the Hecto. Is it worth losing the 14" of real estate for 4K resolution. I would consider getting one too if it blows the hecto out of the water.

The Hecto is 1080P The New Tv will be 4k and 1080P. Once I get the TV I will have to save for a Pana 4 K player. yeah money take time to save.  I say by June. I should have everything going as it will take me two weeks or more just to fix holes in the plaster, paint the wall, Fit the TV on the wall and doing a lot of Changes on the Wiring system for 4K movies with eventually 2X 4 K players + the NEW 4 k Sat Boxes.

10 hours ago, RonRonson said:

The reason why the New Tv is for 4K and a Better Viewing via IPS due to my LONG Lounge. Have a Look at it as I was fitting the Pinky bouncy balls to insulate the ground from the Concrete for the Lounge Shakers that are inside the lounges and chairs. again everything I do is extreme and I try to get the Best from Limited $$$$.

10 hours ago, said:

Bman if have billy lyn on uhd it is in 4k 60 and have to say it is THE best PQ I have ever seen. jaw dropping ! just sat there looking at it saying gee ! :D things like the uniforms, medals, blacks details everywhere punchy colours etc. a pure stunner ... and yeah will test your whole path re 4k 60 thats for sure. its locally released too so should be able to pick up from JB and such,

32871662032_849604cc9f_b.jpg

ps not sure what player you have but if have the pana...make sure its taken off its default that has 50/60 for 4k turned off :)

GOOD Man.!!!

I will Get it as it it should be a Good test for your System/cables/New TV  and both 4 k Oppo and Panna when I get both. I though that Owen said that there is Nothing in 4K that has 50 or60 on disk??

Edited by Blackman

On 24/03/2017 at 8:17 PM, MLXXX said:

The good Problem today is some of the mpeg4 H246 stuff use up to 40mb/sec. I can see the depth of their pimple or paws on their nose. Now thats some Grunt. Most M peg 4 Stuff is around 5 to 12 m/bit per sec but some have very high bit rate. I will not say which one but it SPARKLING!!

15 hours ago, Owen said:

forgot this one

The box tells me ever thing. I mean every specification you need. Do a google what a Vu duo2 or a Vu Ultimo 4K box can do. the first thing you do when you buy it you 5 minutes later you overwrite the Complete firmware/image  with a Collection of good authors IMAGES.. I use BLACK HOLE for me. I won;t get into more of this because this is not the forum for it.

Nhk Japan Have been testing for a while In our region in 4K. One day its there and one day if off. Blind scanning catching them

Great Box you can configure it in any way. CLICK on the right the ARROW on THE SELECTION FOR CONFIGURING THE BOX

https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/vu-topseller/vu-ultimo-4k/

great box you can configure it in any way I have 3000 channels controlled by 8 dishes vi DISEqC Control After you over right the original factory software you have selection of softcam.

I have Never seen Boxes like these two that spits the Info on any channel like these two EVERYTHING More than what you need.

https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/vu-topseller/vu-duo2/

get The Driff.

Any how BACK ON TOPIC!!

Edited by Blackman

3 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

We are not talking about blu rays

Blackman,

You don't seem to get my point mate. Pixels are not "resolution" so just because video is 3840x2160 DOES NOT infer it has anything like that sort of visible "resolution".

True "4K" video, that is content shot with 4K and up cameras, can only have about 3K visible resolution at best when delivered in a 3840x2160 video format due to required low pass filtering. For domestic video, including Bluray, the chroma (colour)) information has half the resolution of the luma signal so colour resolution is about 1.5K at best.

The above mentioned luma and chrome resolutions are only achievable under ideal conditions which almost never occurs in real world shooting situations and with ZERO video compression.

Video compression destroys visible resolution, which is why 4K Bluray can deliver 100Mbps or more, it needs to even with h.265 compression.

The first thing we loose with excessive compression is the high frequency content in the video which IS the high resolution in the image, it gets stripped out to achieve a lower data rate. The low data rate of on line and satellite video services limits the visible resolution that is possible, typically down to 1080 Bluray levels if not less. Any small resolution advantage you may get over 1080 Bluray is offset by deficiencies in image and sound "quality".

So, if you are not into purchasing 4K Bluray disks you have no access to any 4K content worthy of the name, you are just getting 4K pixels which is not the same thing at all.

Even if you do intend to buy 4K Bluray disks, to date most of the titles released are not 4K to begin with, and of those that are how many are you actually interested in viewing from the tiny "4K" catalogue?

As for the Billy Lynn movie mentioned above that is available in a 60Hz version, I was not aware of it. However it is a one of a kind as far as I know so you could wait years for another movie that needs 4K 60Hz, and there is no guarantee it will be a movie that you will be interested in. 

If motion smoothness and clarity is an issue for you support for proper motion interpolation for 4K 24fps content is vital IMHO. Its common for 4K displays to have no motion interpolation for 4K video, its often limited to 1080 or less. I would not buy a 4K display that did not offer effective motion interpolation for 4K video.

Lastly, unless you have good eyes and sit close to the TV 4K is a non issue. The quality of the display, how well its setup, and the quality the video source will dominate what you see NOT resolution.