Fetch TV hack

With the demise of TiVo in Australia scheduled for October 2017, attempts are being made to convince TiVo folk to migrate to Fetch TV. At first glance this appears to be a reasonable move, however a more detailed inspection of Fetch reveals a few interesting shenanigans that make Fetch far less attractive.

Firstly, Fetch apparently needs a nobbled box deceptively presented as IPTV but which is actually quite restrictive. There is no browser and no way to install same, and only 'channels' which pay Fetch for the privilege of being part of the Fetch circus are available to users. Some or all of those options could well be discontinued at any time.

Secondly (related to the previous issue), without a browser, no IPTV sources are accessible.I currently have access to hundreds if not thousands of streaming videos, none of which are available via Fetch. My view is that those pulling the strings have deliberately limited the availability of options with a view to confine users to increasingly moronic FTA

Thirdly, there is no telephone support with Fetch (although some of us might contend that the offshore support facilities offered by telcos and the like are something we could do without) and the email support that is available is near useless. The questions I've raised drew ridiculous scripted answers that didn't even begin to address the issues I'd raised.

OK, now that I've had a rant, what options are there to either get a bit more life out of Australian TiVo's by configuring a different EPG, or alternatively conjuring up an open source solution that combines TiVo style functionality with 21st century technology.  Kodi is possibly part of the answer although it is inclined to the occasional kludginess and I've yet to find an EPG that replicates the TiVo one.  I really want to avoid the nonsense endemic to commercial / closed source systems which almost certainly necessitates heavy reliance on something akin to Kodi.

Does anyone who lurks here have any other insights to offer ??

1 hour ago, praxidice said:

Fetch reveals a few interesting shenanigans that make Fetch far less attractive:

Firstly, Fetch apparently needs a nobbled box deceptively presented as IPTV but which is actually quite restrictive. There is no browser 

Secondly without a browser, no IPTV sources are accessible

Thirdly, there is no telephone support with Fetch

You don't seem to be comparing apples with apples here. The Tivo is a pretty locked down device with very limited viewing options (Does it have a browser?). The Tivo's main features if I recall are nice EPG and excellent series record.

The Fetch doesn't purport to be much more than this although it does have some significant optional capabilities. You can subscribe to cheap channel packages (About a $1 a channel or so). No likelihood they'll stop broadcasting these (they just added 10 more to the mix). 

Fetch also does all the FTA catch up TV channels, Netflix and Stan.Its series record is very good.

But all these are optional. If you're looking for a Tivo like experience then for the same cost as the Tivo was ($400) you can pretty much port across without hassle.

Telephone support? It doesn't look like Tivo offer phone support either. Both have an online process that seems workable. IMO both machines are pretty simple to setup and use.

What Tivo features do you feel the Fetch is missing?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

1 hour ago, praxidice said:

OK, now that I've had a rant, what options are there to either get a bit more life out of Australian TiVo's by configuring a different EPG, or alternatively conjuring up an open source solution that combines TiVo style functionality with 21st century technology.  Kodi is possibly part of the answer although it is inclined to the occasional kludginess and I've yet to find an EPG that replicates the TiVo one.  I really want to avoid the nonsense endemic to commercial / closed source systems which almost certainly necessitates heavy reliance on something akin to Kodi.

The fact is there's still no great solution that ticks all boxes.

As you suggest a kodi box is a bit of work but would do a lot of what you want. Stream IPTV, Setup 4+ tuners to record FTA. Fair EPG. Play your movie files. Show photo, etc.

My Dad spent a fair while getting his setup to work as an all in one Kodi box. Depends how long you want to spend fiddling.

FWIW the FetchTV EPG is excellent. Move around quickly. Sets reliable series recording. Set timer pads. etc.

Funnily enough I actually wrote an EPG that (IMO) worked much better than Tivo or any others JustEPG but these days viewing habits (and sources) are very diverse. And there are a lot of different solutions. IMO The simplest setup if you do want to watch FTA much is get a good PVR and use that (FetchTV = Series Record, Netflix, Stan, FTA catchup) Then find a small second box that does all the other stuff you in particular want (Like stream IPTV). If you like tie it together with high WAF then get a nice universal remote like the Harmony One

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks. I realize that TiVo has limitations but after all its pretty old technology. We are now well into the 21st century and I would have thought it reasonable to expect suitably upgraded options to be commonplace without the necessity to fiddle with a number of different boxes. That is OK for people who like fiddling but not for retired wrinklies who have trouble coming to grips with stuff that is second nature to geeks.  What is the current state of play with JustEPG and exactly what operating systems / applications is it compatible with ?  I've done a fair bit of experimenting with Kodi / HDHomeRun / PlayTV and can get those configured to do most of what I want. That doesn't however convert to others who just want something totally straightforward and who have no interest whatever in knowing what is inside the black box. It appears that there are options to keep Australian TiVos running (different PROM and software hacks), and those may well be viable solutions for some. From what I've seen, the current state of knowledge supports a different operating system like Kodi or whatever on modified TiVos.  Personally I don't care for any FTA crap, Netflix and a host of streaming sites do everything I need, but a lot of people are still obsessed with something or other that is only found on FTA. It may be that Fetch is the most viable option for many wrinklies (WAF) but my objective is to arrive at a solution that ticks ALL the boxes. I will concede that I might be tilting at windmills but without an 'ideal best' goal, one ends up accepting whatever crap the marketing types wish to inflict on us because that is all Hardly Normal et al stock.

Edited by praxidice
fix typos

50 minutes ago, praxidice said:

Just checked your link http://oztoppy.wikidot.com/start  and at first glance the EPG is exclusively for Topfield devices. I'll have a closer poke around when time permits but maybe it is adaptable to other devices.

Not suggesting you do. It was just a piece of nostalgia. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

• 3 weeks later...

G'day,

For some strange reason, I've seen an ad pop up while I've been browsing for a very interesting box that I've never seen before

"TV Box" It's called - Made in Sydney and boasts being Australian

https://www.tvboxaustralia.com.au/

They seem to be fairly new, even their Facebook page has only just grown to over 180 people with reviews made in March

If what is written is anywhere near accurate (Which I'm interested to know) then this might be a good replacement

• 3 years later...
On 24/3/2017 at 4:48 PM, McDigital said:

G'day,

For some strange reason, I've seen an ad pop up while I've been browsing for a very interesting box that I've never seen before

"TV Box" It's called - Made in Sydney and boasts being Australian

https://www.tvboxaustralia.com.au/

They seem to be fairly new, even their Facebook page has only just grown to over 180 people with reviews made in March

If what is written is anywhere near accurate (Which I'm interested to know) then this might be a good replacement

the tv box is overpriced. Comparable units are around $6o on ebay. Super fast delivery that takes 15-30 days is not super fast and not even fast. one false claim that should question the validity of the unit as being worthwhile to purchase.

I spent part of the morning and many hours over the last few days trying to get the hang of the fetch so it was amazing  when I logged on that this discussion popped up 

I haven’t had a set top box for some time ( been watching Netflix on the computer and Auntie) 

i am staggered at the lack of browser and the limited channels ( ie apps) they were advertised as a plus so I assumed they were a subscription, which I already have via family. 
I forgot my pin and followed the instructions on the machine AND the handbook but low and behold, the animal they send you to does not exist. Eventually I rang them up and they said they reset it. I complained back that that was not what the manual said and got a sorry.