Replacement HDD for Panasonic pvr

Hello, Does anyone know a suitable replacement hdd for a panasonic DMR-XW440.  I have tryed a good wd 500AAKS  the original is wd500avcs. I guess this means its special for av purposes. There are some on ebay from the states for $200 US . thats near the price of the pvr replacement. The drive is faulty . Tested on another pvr.   Then when hooking up the original hdd I had to format it again. So lost all recordings on both hdds . Bit of a learning curve.

Do you have a FORMAT HARDDRIVE option in the Panasonic menu?

Its not the hardrive that is special (they all use the same $100 drives you find in a PC) 

Its just that Panasonic has used a propriety format on its drive. If its still under warranty then perhaps a call to Panasonic.

If its not under warranty then perhaps call anyway. They may have options for replacing the drive.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

12 hours ago, mroulston@yahoo.com said:

thanks for the reply. I did the shipping condition and the format hdd. it hangs on format 0%   The older pvrs needed firmware to format a new drive but I thought the newer pvrs were easier to fit a new drive. Im a tech from years back I dont expect Panasonic Austrtalia will help, Just tell you to take it to service.

PVRs (Totally digital STBs can usually swap drives in and out)

DVRs (Which the Panasonic is)  are almost always locked and you can't replace the drive (New or old).

You might be surprised giving Panasonic a ring. They may just ask you to bring a HDD and your DVR in and they'll do a quick format for you.

Regards

Peter Gillespie