Sony Releases UBP-X800 4K UHD Player

Kazz

20 hours ago, lucmor444 said:

Any comparison yet with the UB900?

Nope, and I might not bother as I am happy with the performance of each player (Pana UB900,  Sony X800 and OPPO 205) in the 3 separate room setups as is. Plus at this stage I don't really have time nor do I have two copies of the same 4K disc unless someone in Perth is willing to loan one to me.

Edited by Seandres

Thx - tossing up between the Sony and the Panasonic (which is on run out sale)

I would go the pana as it has more outputs, picture wise there isn't much in it, maybe slight edge on 4K discs to the pana. I think both are great players and you can't go wrong either way. Apologies for not doing a A/B comparison yet as if I'm going to do one I want everything to be duplicated exactly the same Eg same hdmi cable, same disc, same display etc or ppl on here will just tear apart my comparison apart. Main reason I haven't done a 3 way comparison with the oppo 205 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

15 hours ago, petetherock said:

The budget universal disc player... I am having a blast with it..

http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2017/12/sony-ubp-x800-4k-blu-ray-player-review.html

Its certainly good value Pete ; and a bit ironic that oppo which used to have all the format and streaming options  comes 2nd ;) Many may prefer to have their expensive pre pro or avr to use those dacs instead :aww: A transport makes a lot more sense than multi analog outs with the object formats so there redundant on an oppo  imho..

Edited by cwt

On 9/19/2017 at 9:06 PM, :) al said:

how come the pana is being run out ? new model ?

I was wondering the same thing.

I had looked at getting one, but found them very thin on the ground, and on the internet, so ended up getting the UB400 instead, which is fine for my needs, but it got me thinking that there might be a updated Top of the Line Panasonic disc player coming out soon...CES 2018...13 days and counting.

• Like 1

i am seeing a bit of chatter on forums re disc play issues with this sony. something to watch out for. are sony keeping up the updates to this unit like pana and oppo are ? very necessary as uhd is still a pretty new format :) i saw no disc play issue with the pana, and oppo only in early life with any issues now history. perhaps the sony is early in its life too. but looks a good player especially for the price, i was thinking about it just for the streaming options. but got the atv 4k and very happy with it instead :) 

34 minutes ago, :) al said:

i am seeing a bit of chatter on forums re disc play issues with this sony. something to watch out for. are sony keeping up the updates to this unit like pana and oppo are ? very necessary as uhd is still a pretty new format :) i saw no disc play issue with the pana, and oppo only in early life with any issues now history. perhaps the sony is early in its life too. but looks a good player especially for the price, i was thinking about it just for the streaming options. but got the atv 4k and very happy with it instead :) 

interesting!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, :) al said:

i am seeing a bit of chatter on forums re disc play issues with this sony. something to watch out for. are sony keeping up the updates to this unit like pana and oppo are ? 

Thought Ide post here with the 800 as the new UBP-X700 is coming and its build quality is rather curious . It isn't a full width component and is powered by a power brick by the looks :ohmy: as its got a 12v socket.. Its not a universal  anymore as sony doesn't want to pay licensing fees apparently for dvd-a discs .

On the plus side it is due for a dolby vision upgrade though theres more than a few at avs forum who aren't happy with the extended delay on the long promised dv for 9000 series tvs

4 hours ago, cwt said:

Thought Ide post here with the 800 as the new UBP-X700 is coming and its build quality is rather curious . It isn't a full width component and is powered by a power brick by the looks :ohmy: as its got a 12v socket.. Its not a universal  anymore as sony doesn't want to pay licensing fees apparently for dvd-a discs .

On the plus side it is due for a dolby vision upgrade though theres more than a few at avs forum who aren't happy with the extended delay on the long promised dv for 9000 series tvs

Maybe giving cheaper option to those  not wanting DVD a universal or Just uhd replay where already got that covered ?

but yes all a bit curious pity dropped universal replay and the power brick will be annoying. Not a big fan of narrower than std width components either. Still if price comes in under Panasonic’s cheapest I imagine will sell a few

yep. Dv is not getting lot of love is it ?

Yes ;that niche is good to fill as a lot of people think twice about needing to spend $$ on the oppo when they have a  103/5 or similar .

There is something possibly going on with DV licensing Al considering the new Panasonic doesn't have it out the box either and oppo has had it how long and even brands like TCL and Visio which aren't big players by any stretch in the US . I hope sony comes out with something upmarket to match their top of the line dv TV's . 

More love for the new pana over there as it covers hdr10; hdr10+ and dv ; its now a bit safer as oppo has said no to hdr10+ ; but only for the present ..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cwt said:

I guess it gives most of what the buying public have wanted - features that matter to them. DV and 4k playback..

Hobbyists aren't really the captive audience. There are alternatives for us.. 

12 minutes ago, petetherock said:

I guess it gives most of what the buying public have wanted - features that matter to them. DV and 4k playback..

Hobbyists aren't really the captive audience. There are alternatives for us.. 

Thankfully yes . Thinking about it a bit  ; I give my media player a pass with its 12v because its got hard drives hanging of it ; but not a cutting edge device that should have a decent power supply ; whether toroid or low noise transformer..

47 minutes ago, Home theatre rookie said:

I knew full well when i bought this player, dolby vision wasn't avaliable due to hardware contrants.

Now that DV had been comfirmed to be a software update, is it possible this player may receive DV?

If not, what would be the reason?

Marketing?

Dolby would be charging a licencing fee for DV and Sony will probably want to sell new models, so I wouldn't hold your breath for a DV firmware update. Plus any manufacturers who were considering a freebie upgrade have probably dropped all thought of this given the debacle with the emergence of umpteen different DV profiles.