Abc1 Soon To Be Hd ?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read late last year that ABC1 is moving to HD in June. Is that correct ? Haven't seen anything about it elsewhere. Hope its correct.

This is the link http://decidertv.com/page/2015/11/18/abc-tv-to-make-the-switch-to-high-definition-in-2016-abctv

They don't seem to be saying much. June is still the rumour. They aren't responding to questions on Facebook for example.

I believe the launch date is July 2 2016 basically Election Night, that is what is being talked about "unofficially" ABC NEWS 24 will drop back to 576i.

While I don't really know anyone of interest in the 2 public broadcasters people in the know have said that ABC will do a month long campaign to make people aware that ABC HD is launching and what better way for them to launch HD on election day.

CWT,

The ABC digital has always been MPEG-2 since it started in 2001.Betacam tape was current in 2011. Now those cameras use memory cards.

The equivalent publication from Free TV Australia is more recent http://www.freetv.com.au/media/Engineering/Free%20TV%20OP30%20Quality%20Specification%20for%20the%20International%20and%20National%20Program%20Exchange%20-%20Issue%206%20-%20Effective%20January%202014.pdf

"and from June 2016 we are planning to broadcast all content in high definition"

It is not possible to transmit ABC 1 - 3 and ABC24 in HD without converting all programs to MPEG-4 compression. Will they have a legacy SD MPEG2 version of ABC1?

Alanh

CWT,

The ABC digital has always been MPEG-2 since it started in 2001.Betacam tape was current in 2011. Now those cameras use memory cards.

The equivalent publication from Free TV Australia is more recent http://www.freetv.com.au/media/Engineering/Free%20TV%20OP30%20Quality%20Specification%20for%20the%20International%20and%20National%20Program%20Exchange%20-%20Issue%206%20-%20Effective%20January%202014.pdf

"and from June 2016 we are planning to broadcast all content in high definition"

It is not possible to transmit ABC 1 - 3 and ABC24 in HD without converting all programs to MPEG-4 compression. Will they have a legacy SD MPEG2 version of ABC1?

Alanh

Youve misread what I said ; when it wasnt mpeg2 they certainly did broadcast dolby digital as the countdown specials were in dolby digital as my onkyo at the time switched to pl2x when the flag activated it ..

Cwt,

The vision on ABC has never been anything other than MPEG2, and accompanied by MPEG1 audio for all SD, and AC3 audio is used for HD broadcasts. All of the new HD MPEG-4 metro commercial channels are still using AC3 sound. The data rate is nearly half the data rate of an SD MPEG-4 video signal. Only 7flix and Racing.com on are using the usual sound compression with MPEG-4 which is AAC compression. AAC quarters the bit rate for audio. There is a surround sound version http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/ff/amm/prod/audiocodec/audiocodecs/heaac.html#

Alanh

Cwt,

The vision on ABC has never been anything other than MPEG2, and accompanied by MPEG1 audio for all SD, and AC3 audio is used for HD broadcasts. All of the new HD MPEG-4 metro commercial channels are still using AC3 sound. The data rate is nearly half the data rate of an SD MPEG-4 video signal. Only 7flix and Racing.com on are using the usual sound compression with MPEG-4 which is AAC compression. AAC quarters the bit rate for audio. There is a surround sound version http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/ff/amm/prod/audiocodec/audiocodecs/heaac.html#

Alanh

Um... I don't like entering discussions like this... but ABC (prime/1/whatever) did once have AC3 audio. I know, because my own software records AC3 in preference to MPG audio - and I've got a heap of RAGE videos with AC3 audio. They are not HD (mpg2 or mpg4) and were recorded around 2007. I know people who recorded ABC HD RAGE also, before News24 came along.

No! I don't know why they recorded ABC HD RAGE, it was just upscaled SD. But I've still got the SD & AC3 audio to prove it!

... (That's me leaving.)

but ABC (prime/1/whatever) did once have AC3 audio. I know, because my own software records AC3 in preference to MPG audio - and I've got a heap of RAGE videos with AC3 audio. They are not HD (mpg2 or mpg4) and were recorded around 2007. I know people who recorded ABC HD RAGE also, before News24 came along.

You are confusing the audio encoding with the vision encoding.

Before anyone started doing the MPEG4 services ALL vision was MPEG2, no matter whether it was SD or HD. In the early days the SD service (which was the digital version of the analog) for most of them had two audio streams - one the normal two channel or surround MPEG and the other Dolby, with the audio on the HD service being Dolby 5.1.

And yes, I too have recordings from when they used to have the two streams.

Cwt,

Alanh

Alan ; you still havent got it ; I was talking about audio in response to an audio question ;try reading post No6 again :logik:

When we didnt get mpeg2 audio we got dolby digital as Jasoroony pointed out ; my old toppy 2400 regularly recorded dd2.0 rage episodes ; as they were true dvd bitrate quality - if you remember :question:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/14687-dd20/#entry156972

You are confusing the audio encoding with the vision encoding.

Before anyone started doing the MPEG4 services ALL vision was MPEG2, no matter whether it was SD or HD. In the early days the SD service (which was the digital version of the analog) for most of them had two audio streams - one the normal two channel or surround MPEG and the other Dolby, with the audio on the HD service being Dolby 5.1.

I'm really not.

I said the recordings were not HD (mpg2 or mpg4) I just didn't say what they were: SD (mpg2).

I was replying to alanh, who said SD mpg2 video never had AC3 audio. But there's now three of us confirming it did once.

Alan ; you still havent got it

Colour us surprised.

I'm really not.

I was replying to alanh, who said SD mpg2 video never had AC3 audio. But there's now three of us confirming it did once.

Pardon my confusion. I have possibly been lured into the alanh space time continuum trap and allowed myself to be influenced.

Hrh,

Both AC3 and MPEG-1were on the ABC in those days when they transmitted less programs

The Australian transmission standard said and says that for SD transmission you had to use MPEG-1 sound and for HD AC3 sound. If you wanted to use the additional 480 kbit/s for extra audio you could.

Alanh

Actually, and I'm really becoming uncomfortable here, the image BlueDusk provided says the mpg audio is what I expected and remember it to be. Mpg2 audio.

Youre both right-ish.

MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio was carried forward into the MPEG-2 spec as MPEG-2 Layer 2 audio. Either way, its called MP2. AC3 isn't part of the MPEG-2 spec - it's a Dolby invention - but was adopted by the DVB people for multi-channel audio

There was also an early, limited version of Layer 3 audio (MP3) in the MPEG-1 spec, though what is called MP3 today is mostly MPEG-2 Layer 3.

Edited by Pesto Lovin' Man

That's sort of lucky! (For me!) I was looking at the bits in the header (of something recorded on the weekend) and it says MPG1 unless I've got the bits wrong.

But it explains cwt talking about mpeg2 audio, and alanh misreading it as talking video. Now get along people!

(Sheepishly moving on myself. And ignoring alanh changing stance.)

Hrh,

Both AC3 and MPEG-1were on the ABC in those days when they transmitted less programs

Yes, I know - didn't say they didn't, and as has been stated several of us have recordings testifying to that end.

As I stated

In the early days the SD service (which was the digital version of the analog) for most of them, had two audio streams - one the normal two channel or surround MPEG and the other Dolby,...

I'm not sure but I think SBS were the odd one out in not having the two streams on the SD service.

The Australian transmission standard said and says that for SD transmission you had to use MPEG-1 sound and for HD AC3 sound.

In fact I'm pretty sure they never had the two streams given they have never used AC3 even on their HD service and still don't. Which is why I get the audio and no picture on 30.

So much for the standard.

Maybe somebody should have another whisper in their ear about this one.

Edited by hrh

In fact I'm pretty sure they never had the two streams given they have never used AC3 even on their HD service and still don't. Which is why I get the audio and no picture on 30.

So much for the standard.

Maybe somebody should have another whisper in their ear about this one.

Alan's wrong.

In Aus, AC-3 encoding was always optional for both SD & HD MPEG-2 broadcasts. MPEG-1/2 Layer 2 audio is mandatory for both.

AC-3 decoding is mandatory for MPEG-2 HD receivers, but optional for SD. MPEG-1/2 Layer 2 audio is mandatory for both.

Different versions of the different specs are a little inconsistent, but MPEG-2 HD never required AC-3.

AAC is now required for MPEG-4 receivers, in HD or SD.

As for the historic stuff, I remember both ABC & 7 carrying MP2 + AC-3 on SD at one stage but that ended with multi-channeling. Don't remember anyone else doing it but doesn't mean they didn't.