Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

The UDP-205 specs were published today:-

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

U.S. price: $1,299. On first look I very much like what I see except for the fact that it does not seem to include any native streaming apps such as TIDAL, Spotify, Pandora etc. Also, I can't find any reference to Airplay which is what I currently use to redirect Pandora and Spotify from the iPad to my Cambridge CXN without needing to use extra hardware such as Chromecast or Apple TV.

Edited by PeteD

46 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Looks like Oppo has lost the PQ processing king crown... seems odd.

JSmith :ninja:

This and the whole beta release of the 203 makes you wonder if Panasonic poached some of Oppo's tech staff.

3 hours ago, JSmith said:

Looks like Oppo has lost the PQ processing king crown... seems odd.

JSmith :ninja:

Not so odd when you appreciate Panasonic has had a close association with Hollywood since they started PHL labs[ Panasonic Hollywood labs ] j ; a prime driver for 3d back in the day :cool: No off the shelf SOC;s for Pana ..

The oppo 205 is a curious item these days ; fancy ess dacs and analog stage and fancy low jitter clocked hdmi output - that's usually added by after market operators like the ones on Pete's signature mod :o   Of course only the 1 solution for dolby atmos; dts-x with these outputs ; but a lot of redundancy here ..

This means the second hdmi out is audio only ; not video/audio as previous ..

HDMI 1.4 audio port for connecting to older A/V receivers

6 hours ago, PeteD said:

The UDP-205 specs were published today:-

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

U.S. price: $1,299. On first look I very much like what I see except for the fact that it does not seem to include any native streaming apps such as TIDAL, Spotify, Pandora etc. Also, I can't find any reference to Airplay which is what I currently use to redirect Pandora and Spotify from the iPad to my Cambridge CXN without needing to use extra hardware such as Chromecast or Apple TV.

Specs are all well and good...BUT will it actually work as "advertised"????    I dont hold out much hope.

Users of the 203 are "STILL" waiting for the magical "Fix" to make their Oppo 203 work as "advertised"    ....I have had the 203 from the word go, and it is still plagued with "glitches"

UB900 on the other hand just "Works"..

• Like 2

I bit the bullet and update the official firmware last night.  I can always go back to my Oppo BDP-93 or use BD-RE discs.

I am sure that someone will release an updated jailbreak in the future.  I can't have guests over watching UHD movies with random audio drops.

The main problem with official firmware is Cinavia, it is painful.

the new 205 apparently with a ship due of april 28th in the us,

though i dont think i will bite, not with the sour taste still lingering from the last time.

I think will wait to see feedback and then see.

not a hard decision with the pana 900 uhd player that has been absolutely faultless on uhd for good 3 months now and all the movies have thrown at it ....

• Like 1

Who wants to guess the Australian retail price?  If it was simply about exchange rate then $1,755 would be about right if the $AUS was trading at US-74 cents. But my guess is $1,999 because the Internationals love to gouge the Australian market whenever possible.

• Like 1

UDP-205

4K Ultra HD Audiophile Blu-ray Disc Player

Best-in-Class Audio Performance, Dual ESS ES9038PRO Sabre Pro DACs

Reference Quality Video with HDR

4K UHD, Blu-ray, 3D, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD and CD

Price:$1,299

Coming Soon ...

As anticipated, has the ESS9038PRO Sabre DACs, but sadly no MQA support yet.

Received this email from Oppo support today:

Ed,

We are looking into MQA as a possible inclusion for future firmware to our line of products, but at this time we do not know when we may be able to support MQA due to possible limitations in hardware, software and licensing.

Best Regards, 

Customer Service 
OPPO Digital, Inc. 
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Service@oppodigital.com 
Tel: 650-961-1118 
Fax: 650-961-1119

Despite having owned almost all their previous models, I would say, let's get as many of their bugs sorted first, then we release the flagship.

I had the 101ci, I would say, that's one of the most trouble free units I have ever used.

Made me feel rather regretful when I  think of the day I sold it.

in my honest opinion, "NEVER EVER BUY THE 1ST BATCH"

short n sharp for all to comprehend.

painful lesson learnt from the 203 saga...

( Unless of course u have money to burn, or bottomless pockets filled with wad's of cash! )

Question sent to Oppo Digital (USA):

Regarding the UDP-205. Does it support AirPlay/DLNA? Given the lack of native Streaming app support (which I applaud) and associated maintenance overhead - it would be nice to be able to cast TIDAL and Spotify to the unit like I currently do with my existing DAC.

Answer:

The player will support DLNA DMP and DMR, but the player will not support AirPlay. The ability to support streaming services are being investigated, but at this time we do not know when we will be able to support streaming services through a future firmware release.

From past experience, that kind of answer means that they will never support streaming services. Well, that is a show-stopper for me unless someone can suggest how I would be able to "cast" Spotify etc to the UDP-205. Buying a new device (if it's not too expensive) is not out of the question so long as there is no loss of sound quality

• Like 1

@PeteD very unfortunately... and if getting these answers from oppo usa, it doesnt mean even if they get it that we ever will in oz ... refer case in example the sonica ... where held back the complete product.

my bet given not even a blip on the radar on the 205s release here.... and happy to be proven wrong, but suspect we will get a delayed release here on the 205. id suggest interdyn learnt hard way not to be part of a world wide release of a new product... untested on the market place....

though again ... happy to be proven wrong :)

• Like 1