Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

Not really a defect...it's like saying sacd doesn't play out the digital coax/optical ports. It's because that's the way it's been designed and implemented, for whatever reasons, rights management, etc.

Anyway I'm sure a legitimate Jb will along soon enough and and when it is I hope to be the first to know.

+1 with wiz on this. This is NOT a defect per se  but rather an "added feature" to unlock the ability to playback ISO files in your USB external drive.

By the way wiz, the JB should be made avail pretty soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm keeping close tabs on the jb through my contacts as well...yes it's close. But like most jb's now being external USB based its going mean you will have to disable updates for normal firmware and you will likely have to play catchup like everyone does with iPhones...such is being on the fringe ???  also not something one can reverse, probably won't help those who really want a well supported player firmware release updated unit but I guess jb is not for everyone, just those with special needs like ISO playback etc

Pete that's why I said you need to burn it to disk...I just didn't have any disks only could pass you on USB. Didn't realize you thought ISO playback was still on the table for non jb Oppo's these days....the old days of that gone long ago iirc

Pete that's why I said you need to burn it to disk...I just didn't have any disks only could pass you on USB. Didn't realize you thought ISO playback was still on the table for non jb Oppo's these days....the old days of that gone long ago iirc

Not really mate..

This same demo played fine in the 101.

So it's a regression as far as I am concerned..

Not really mate..

But 101 was a ci machine...for custom I nstaller and not really a consumer model...probably why the difference as its needed in different commercial installations...was a nice player tho

I'm keeping close tabs on the jb through my contacts as well...yes it's close. But like most jb's now being external USB based its going mean you will have to disable updates for normal firmware and you will likely have to play catchup like everyone does with iPhones...such is being on the fringe ???  also not something one can reverse, probably won't help those who really want a well supported player firmware release updated unit but I guess jb is not for everyone, just those with special needs like ISO playback etc

Yep. Agreed with all your arguments. A small price to pay if u ask me. To overcome any playability issues, especially for some media file types due to encoding compatibility or what not, there is always a separate media player like Popcorn hour, nVidia Shield 4K TV or equivalent to get it working.

Not really mate..

Pete, u just need a different form of medium to play it - that is a Blu-ray Disc (BD-R) for it play on the UDP-203. Get Ken to help you with this, perhaps?

I so seldom have a need for ISO etc...I have a popcorn and never really use it. Pete maybe you want to buy it :D

I guess if ISO playback is a must then get the jb when it comes, or look for less prosumer brands. Something for everyone out there.

Or do like CASH or I do and burn it to a disk...after all that's the best way to play.

Pete, u just need a different form of medium to play it - that is a Blu-ray Disc (BD-R) for it play on the UDP-203. Get Ken to help you with this, perhaps?

Thanks I am sure there are workarounds, but it's a step backwards. BTW Ken can't burn anymore - will lend him one of my burners if he needs one..

Odd thing is, despite being a PC idiot, I have two BR burners.. I just use them as BR drives with my iMacs to play discs on my iMac..

Cheers

Anyone know whether can we download the public beta firmware and install it on our 203 and without issue on different region sets. Or do we have to wait until the official firmware is available via network?

Sorry I had to ask this because I read before that the firmware downloaded on the website is meant for machine sold in North America.

Sent from my Game Boy Advance 32gb 4GLTE/WiFi using Tapatalk

http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-33-1229B.aspx

USA FW:

(I don't know if it works with our players)

Category: Latest Public Beta Test Release

Main Version: UDP20X-33-1229B

Loader Version: TF0027

MCU Version: MCU203-01-1118

Resolved an issue where the Home Menu was fixed to a 60 Hz frame rate.

Resolved an HDCP 2.2 failure when connecting to an HDCP 2.2 receiver and an older, non-HDCP 2.2 display.

Resolved a black screen issue with certain UHD titles after resuming playback.

Improved a micro-stuttering issue when outputting UHD, BD, and DVD titles at 24 Hz.

Resolved an SACD playback issue where the player would immediately return to the Home Menu.

Optimized disc loader performance for better disc compatibility and spin speed control.

Resolved an issue where the player could not recognize music files when using Serviio server.

Resolved an issue where the RS-232 command #SRC would not work on the UDP-203.

Pressing and holding the Resolution button on the remote for three seconds will reset the player’s Output Resolution, HDR, Color Space, and Color Depth settings to factory defaults.

Improved the gapless playback feature for audio files.

The Home Menu now supports a wrap-around function.

Improved the over-saturation of colors when using the experimental Strip Metadata feature. Please note that the black level is temporarily fixed to a very low level when enabling the Strip Metadata feature.

New FW available in US....apparently it will be a few more weeks before Oppo Australia has this ready.  I'd urge everyone, especially those with issue, to contact Oppo Australia and express their angst at this needless delay.

Hmm...just had a live chat with Oppo on the Oppo Australia website.  They're 'at the mercy of the engineers' and providing conservative timelines.  Fellow I chatted with was hoping it could be as little as a couple of days.

I'm figuring the more pressure brought to bear the quicker it will happen :-)

More pressure added.  Just raised a support ticket and asked for the firmware fix to be released asap.

Very frustrating at the moment.  Watching the Revenant on blu ray last night had multiple periods of stuttering and it locked up once, requiring it to be stopped and restarted.

I would say mid March 2017...

They will need to prove they can iron out many issues 1st with the 203 player...

They would not want to launch the top end 205, with no solutions for the 203..

203 is the guinea pig...

Well, that's my guesstimate...

;D

I gotten the jailbreak firmware for my Oppo UDP-203 and I can confirm that BD ISO/BDMV file structure worked fine after the flash. CAUTION: DO NOT update the latest Beta firmware after you've flashed your player with the JB firmware lest lose the "added features" of the JB firmware.

I think SLT will release the JB firmware soon. Hang on tight for those looking to get it for playback of your BD ISO collection.  ;)

http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-33-1229B.aspx

USA FW:

(I don't know if it works with our players)

Category: Latest Public Beta Test Release

Main Version: UDP20X-33-1229B

Loader Version: TF0027

MCU Version: MCU203-01-1118

Resolved an issue where the Home Menu was fixed to a 60 Hz frame rate.

Resolved an HDCP 2.2 failure when connecting to an HDCP 2.2 receiver and an older, non-HDCP 2.2 display.

Resolved a black screen issue with certain UHD titles after resuming playback.

Improved a micro-stuttering issue when outputting UHD, BD, and DVD titles at 24 Hz.

Resolved an SACD playback issue where the player would immediately return to the Home Menu.

Optimized disc loader performance for better disc compatibility and spin speed control.

Resolved an issue where the player could not recognize music files when using Serviio server.

Resolved an issue where the RS-232 command #SRC would not work on the UDP-203.

Pressing and holding the Resolution button on the remote for three seconds will reset the player’s Output Resolution, HDR, Color Space, and Color Depth settings to factory defaults.

Improved the gapless playback feature for audio files.

The Home Menu now supports a wrap-around function.

Improved the over-saturation of colors when using the experimental Strip Metadata feature. Please note that the black level is temporarily fixed to a very low level when enabling the Strip Metadata feature.

IIRC the firmware released by Oppo is universally accepted as long as it sports the SAME MODEL.

I gotten the jailbreak firmware for my Oppo UDP-203 and I can confirm that BD ISO/BDMV file structure worked fine after the flash. CAUTION: DO NOT update the latest Beta firmware after you've flashed your player with the JB firmware lest lose the "added features" of the JB firmware.

I think SLT will release the JB firmware soon. Hang on tight for those looking to get it for playback of your BD ISO collection.  ;)

Nice ! Finally

34 minutes ago, Kazz said:

great to see...presumably not for direct firmware update but via usb only ?

• Volunteer
57 minutes ago, :) al said:

great to see...presumably not for direct firmware update but via usb only ?

Yep USB only as it's beta,  I'll give it a go tonight.

updated just before, wil report back over next few days what find dont find...

picked up the standard region free mod for the 203 from gatti web, $140 and its DIY just plugs in

http://www.gattiweb.com/bluraymod.html

though internal but nothing to it apparently...will give it a go after have sussed out this new firmware... so as not to introduce any additional factors :)