Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

Quite a few owners in AVS have posted that there are issues like

stutter

freezing

inability to play UHD discs

I wonder if anyone locally has had any issues?

I have tried region B and A disc, no problem. Its region free. No Such issues with the Oppo 203 pete, no freezing, no stutter, all the UHD disc playing flawlessly so far. I have watched 5 movies all good.  In fact some remux mkv files on NAS couldnt play on popcorn but could play on oppo. Good stuff.

I have tried region B and A disc, no problem. Its region free. No Such issues with the Oppo 203 pete, no freezing, no stutter, all the UHD disc playing flawlessly so far. I have watched 5 movies all good.  In fact some remux mkv files on NAS couldnt play on popcorn but could play on oppo. Good stuff.

Are you saying you tried UHD discs or you tried REGION A & B BR discs and found it to be region free? The latter will be very interesting.. the former is moot since UHD discs are not region coded..

Currently the stripped HDR is not forced, if the display is not HDR compatible, it would down convert to BT.709. Had a reply from oppo, in the future the stripped HDR would be forced BT.2020.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that in the future, stripped HDR content would be forced to BT 2020?

Quite a few owners in AVS have posted that there are issues like

stutter

freezing

inability to play UHD discs

I wonder if anyone locally has had any issues?

Watched the free Mad Max Fury Road last night.

1st 2 Chapters has the shutter..

Audio /video sync slowly develops until chapter 8 which is too obvious til I had to gohead and goestan one chapter to 're-sync' so the lipsync will go back to normal.

After the movie ends, I ejected the disc, the unit hangs. No response on remote control. Had to hold power button to force shutdown. Restart and close disc tray and shutdown again..

Are you saying you tried UHD discs or you tried REGION A & B BR discs and found it to be region free? The latter will be very interesting.. the former is moot since UHD discs are not region coded..

Pete, now i recall, i was comparing the normal bluray of Man of Steel vs Atmos version. The normal bluray is Region B, it could Playback, no issues. The Oppo 203 plays Region A & B bluraydisc! No hacks and software mods! Give it a try it works!

desray, oppo meant in a future firmware for the 203, not in general. Currently some display's hdmi cannot be upgraded to 2.0a but supports WCG, so the 203 cannot sent BT.2020 without HDR forced on.

I see...the keyword: HDMI 2.0a.

Pete, now i recall, i was comparing the normal bluray of Man of Steel vs Atmos version. The normal bluray is Region B, it could Playback, no issues. The Oppo 203 plays Region A & B bluraydisc! No hacks and software mods! Give it a try it works!

I assume you bought your disc from UK?

Some of the so called region B labelled discs are actually all regions. If it's by Warner, there's a good chance it's all regions.

Try some disc from Line, Fox or Disney which is region B. I think the 203 is region locked for BRs..

Bros

I can't play bro Desray's last demo disc off a USB on the 203, anyone else having this issue?

That's because you don't have the jailbreak firmware installed for you to playback full BD ISO/BDMV file structure.

That's because you don't have the jailbreak firmware installed for you to playback full BD ISO/BDMV file structure.

Hmm.. I didn't need that for the other Oppos I owned.. not keen on adding new FW, so I will put up with this defect for now, cheers.

Not really a defect...it's like saying sacd doesn't play out the digital coax/optical ports. It's because that's the way it's been designed and implemented, for whatever reasons, rights management, etc.

Anyway I'm sure a legitimate Jb will along soon enough and and when it is I hope to be the first to know.

review from home theatre review for the oppo 203....

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-digital-udp-203-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-reviewed/

jumping to ...

"Comparison & Competition
Price-wise, the Panasonic DMP-UB900 is the primary competitor to the UDP-203. Both are targeted at the higher-end enthusiast; like the OPPO, the Panasonic has better build quality and adds 7.1-channel analog audio outputs. It's also THX-certified and includes Netflix/YouTube/Web browsing services, but it doesn't support SACD/DVD-Audio playback, and it does not appear to be upgradeable to support DolbyVision.

Other competitors that we've already discussed include the Samsung UBD-K8500 and the PhilipsBDP7501. Microsoft's Xbox One S is another option, if you want a gaming console. Prices start at $299. According to CNET's review, the console's HDR setup and playback were finicky, and it won't pass bitstream audio, which means no support for Dolby Atmos soundtracks."

and 

"Conclusion
OPPO Digital has a long and successful track record in producing high-quality Blu-ray players. My BDP-103 is still going strong, and so is its predecessor, the BDP-93. The new UDP-203 seems poised to carry that tradition into the new Ultra HD Blu-ray era. The UDP-203 is well-built, fully featured player with universal disc playback, an HDMI input, USB media support, and multichannel analog outputs for the more discerning audio fan. It's also the first player to hit the market that is "Dolby Vision ready," making it more future-proof than its current competitors. If you're just looking for a basic Ultra HD Blu-ray player to mate with your new UHD TV, then it may not be worth it to step up in price to the $550 UDP-203--especially if your UHD TV doesn't support Dolby Vision (and most don't). If, on the other hand, you're looking for a more complete media hub to support playback of the highest-quality disc formats in both the video and audio realms, as well as a good network/USB player for your personal media collection, then the OPPO UDP-203 is an excellent choice."

"I had just acquired the Magnificent Seven UHD disc when I began my review of the UDP-203, so I popped in that film to watch all the way through. It's a gorgeous UHD image, filled with vast landscapes and lots of gritty fine details, and the OPPO player did exactly what it's supposed to do--deliver the signal to my display without blemish."

I note above oppo review the mention of the magnificent seven uhd blu-ray... something I watched on the oppo myself yesterday. the movie sure has a look about it and with a lot of film grain. and only a 2k DI of a 35mm film source but I loved it too rich pictures with plenty of detail, certainly taking good advantage of HDR this one :)