Panasonic Dmp-Ub900 Uhd Blu-Ray Player

Does anyone have one yet?

Just wanted to ask if it's region free out of the box - hopeful perhaps, but asking anyway :)

the pana ? plenty of owners overseas. only here in sept unless you grey import your own early. not read anywhere its region free out the box if its blu-ray or dvd your talking ? only read region free for uhd as you'd expect :)

Thanks, just hoping that we get lucky...

There's some kind of region free hack that one can buy, I understand... but I guess I will adopt a wait and see game. It's just that I will be in UK in June, so it's tempting ...

Thanks, just hoping that we get lucky...

There's some kind of region free hack that one can buy, I understand... but I guess I will adopt a wait and see game. It's just that I will be in UK in June, so it's tempting ...

The hacks there though seen no evidence of anyone using it ! So at your peril at this stage !

Us release of this someone said is also September so looking for us region player of looking a while away likely ?

Just put the panny through the system @ amazon uk after the 50 quid discount it came to $1050 aus total 1-2 month delivery time . 2 were listed ; no reseller not available point of sale conditions.. tempting but want disc copy function for that price; whatever has it gets a sale but the will is getting weaker :rofl::pinch:

It apparently goes up and down like a yo yo Pete ; atm its 12 quid ; sliding scale cause theres 1 left ' exch rate :question:

£599.00

You save:
£50.99

How did you get the 50 GBP discount?

Edited by cwt

Yeh £599.00 is the current Amazon UK supplied price however it's actually £499.17 after 20% VAT is removed (since it's being sold outside of the UK) and then add on your shipping. The item price sits nicely under A$1K so there is no GST/Duty on import down under. Hopefully mine will ship early next week!

It's region 2 DVD and Region B Bluray out of the box. As noted there is a hacked firmware available for the latest 1.03 firmware release (and update which Panasonic released a week or so ago to fix the sound dropout issue for HD/Atmos sound on UHD BD). The hacked firmware has an A on the end of the version number. It also disables a number of other things related to DRM.

Yeh £599.00 is the current Amazon UK supplied price however it's actually £499.17 after 20% VAT is removed (since it's being sold outside of the UK) and then add on your shipping. The item price sits nicely under A$1K so there is no GST/Duty on import down under. Hopefully mine will ship early next week!

It's region 2 DVD and Region B Bluray out of the box. As noted there is a hacked firmware available for the latest 1.03 firmware release (and update which Panasonic released a week or so ago to fix the sound dropout issue for HD/Atmos sound on UHD BD). The hacked firmware has an A on the end of the version number. It also disables a number of other things related to DRM.

Fingers crossed for you Mattis :) I wonder how the hack works ? Is it a paid for thing. Do you apply this along with the pana updates or instead off, perhaps I should study that page a bit further :)

Fingers crossed for you Mattis :) I wonder how the hack works ? Is it a paid for thing. Do you apply this along with the pana updates or instead off, perhaps I should study that page a bit further :)

It's a roundabout paid for thing, you have to make a donation from my cursory glace over the process. I haven't gone thru the process as yet. The firmware is a direct replacement for the official one and it seems as Panasonic release a new version, these guys release a re-modified 'A' build of that official version.

Damn it is $1050 today.

That drm on the new format is certainly worse than it was on bluray mattis. What possible reason would they have for this vvv functionality :question: ​Streamed from a NAS after ripping :question: which is a bit redundant as they are working on uhd copy .. ​

PUO is (just like UOP for DVD video playback) a mechanism which allows Blu-ray publishers to restrict the possible user activity during Blu-ray playback. This can include restrictions like prohibition from turning off forced subtitles, prohibition from pausing video, etc

It's a roundabout paid for thing, you have to make a donation from my cursory glace over the process. I haven't gone thru the process as yet. The firmware is a direct replacement for the official one and it seems as Panasonic release a new version, these guys release a re-modified 'A' build of that official version.

Interesting :) i haven't read any feedback anyplace on it likely you will be first to try :)

Wondering if want can refresh with the non hc kid pana release ? Anyways time will tell

Damn it is $1050 today.

Probably depends on daily exchange I guess. I wonder if place an order if fixes the exchange rate :D or since pay on the day it ships then will depend on where exchange rates end up in the future : D

load up times are very fast

20 seconds from tray sliding in to menu, then another 20 seconds to the start of the film , you get 2 movies and a "high speed HDMI cable" included in the box

http://www.whathifi.com/panasonic/dmp-ub900/review

that one kind of skirts around the sound qualities,

http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/audio-visual/blu-ray-players/panasonic-dmp-ub900-1312558/review/2

this one actually criticises the sound quality, and comments that it lacks high end heft

http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/audio-visual/blu-ray-players/panasonic-dmp-ub900-1312558/review/2

this one actually criticises the sound quality, and comments that it lacks high end heft

Aren't they just referring to the build quality rather than the sound quality? :blink:

If there is no audio conversion in the player, then it just sends it to the AVR/Pro for processing/decoding if using bitstream, unless using analogue stereo out or optical/coax.

It does sound like quite a fast start up @ 20 seconds. :)

JSmith :ninja:

Damn it is $1050 today.

Still the same price (direct from Amazon EU) that it's been for a couple of weeks which is £599 less VAT which becomes £499.17 + shipping (cheapest is £27.28) making it AU$1022 total landed cost at today's spot rates (don't buy in AUD, it has a spread included).

However due to the currency shift following the Reserve Bank's actions on Tuesday, Amazon UK are now adding a customs security deposit to new orders for this item just in case (the previous item total threshold for this was £500 but it's now obviously lower). You only pay whatever it costs so if it comes in under AUD$1K then the entire deposit is refunded. You pay the lesser of the actual customs cost or what you pre-paid in deposit, so if it costs more than the deposit, Amazon wears it.

Edited by mattis

Aren't they just referring to the build quality rather than the sound quality? :blink:

If there is no audio conversion in the player, then it just sends it to the AVR/Pro for processing/decoding if using bitstream, unless using analogue stereo out or optical/coax.

The reviews I read that were critical of the sound referred to the pure audio side not offering anything worthwhile despite appearances. Obviously a bit stream is a bit stream so for home cinema there is nothing in this.