Hdr (High Dynamic Range)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many nit-wits are going to spoil movies with over-hyped and unnatural looking pictures.

Hey, its not like we don't have plenty of teal/orange colour gradients added now. Not to forget Spectre's yellow colour cast in many scenes. Directors and studios slavishly following the latest fashion - who would've thought! :)

Maybe the directors consider it an 'artistic licence' to adulterate some movies the way that they do.

I remember 'War of the Worlds' being rendered in an unnatural fashion. I can't imagine HDR doing it much credit.

C.M

Edited by Tweet

• 3 weeks later...

'The current HDMI 2.0a standard supports only “static metadata”. So let’s say that you are watching a UHD Blu-ray movie; with static metadata it would use one overall HDR grade for the entire movie. With dynamic metadata it is possible for the studio mastering team to change the HDR grade on a scene-to scene basis to improve the picture experience, if they so wish.

The open HDR10 format, which is mandatory in the UHD Blu-ray standard and supported by streaming services, currently relies on static metadata. The Dolby Vision format, on the other hand, is created with dynamic metadata in mind. Dolby has said that Dolby Vision allows it to deliver even more impressive HDR picture quality, and the company is trying to position it as a premium HDR experience.

Dynamic metadata would also make it possible to accurately down-convert HDR (high dynamic range) material to SDR (standard dynamic range = what we’re seeing today).'

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1457513362

There has been some concern about this, however it seems a new HDMI 2.1 standard will address the issue, static vs dynamic HDR metadata. Certainly one reason to possibly hold off buying 4K/UHD blurays and players...

JSmith :ninja:

Edited by jsmith

as a note dolby vision doesnt need 2.1 it works on hdmi v1.4 and above.

http://hdguru.com/dolby-vision-tries-to-set-bar-for-hdr/

re hdmi v2.1 there has been nothing bar the philips article that refers to it and with regards its own system i.e. philips HDR. whether there is broad uptake on this who knows. i think it was kris deering that said he has email confirmation from studious of no intent to utilise dolby vision for uhd blu-ray

as a note dolby vision doesnt need 2.1 it works on hdmi v1.4 and above.

Yes, but I didn't mean that... I mean HDMI 2.1 is needed to separate the Dolby Vision HDR dynamic metadata from the 4K picture data, according to Flatpanels HD. This may be quite beneficial if one has a 4K panel that doesn't support HDR or doesn't achieve it well.

Yes, but I didn't mean that... I mean HDMI 2.1 is needed to separate the Dolby Vision HDR dynamic metadata from the 4K picture data, according to Flatpanels HD. This may be quite beneficial if one has a 4K panel that doesn't support HDR or doesn't achieve it well.

not sure the article is really riding on philips HDR white paper which obviously doesnt mention anything re dolby vision. dolby vision is already established via legacy hdmi as I linked in the article they wanted a way in not waiting on hdmi. whether hdmi changes standards to accomodate philips and make easier for dolby vision who knows. either way we have dolby vision now no need to wait for 2.1 :) and philips HDR probably non event given the relative poor showing of the brand either here or overseas :)

http://www.ip.philips.com/data/downloadables/1/9/7/9/philips_hdr_white_paper.pdf

"HDMI/CEA. HDMI 2.0a covers HDR EOTF signaling and static metadata. Dynamic metadata is expected to be covered in a future version of HDMI (2.1)."

yep thats the philips white paper. their uhd player is due septermber as well I understand - I wonder whether it will come with dolby vision or their "philips HDR" capability

yep thats the philips white paper. their uhd player is due septermber as well I understand - I wonder whether it will come with dolby vision or their "philips HDR" capability

Well their 4K tellies are Dolby Vision enabled...

http://4k.com/news/meet-the-new-philips-4k-ultra-hd-tvs-with-hdr-support-unveiled-at-ces-2016-11841/

"... the 8600 series includes Dolby Vision HDR video support and an enhanced 10-bit color gamut."

If they try and run with their own proprietary system only they'll just shoot themselves in the foot completely IMO.

http://4k.com/news/meet-the-new-philips-4k-ultra-hd-tvs-with-hdr-support-unveiled-at-ces-2016-11841/

"... the 8600 series includes Dolby Vision HDR video support and an enhanced 10-bit color gamut."

If they try and run with their own proprietary system only they'll just shoot themselves in the foot completely IMO.

that would be using hdmi v1.4 currently as the hdguru article indicated with the launch of DV.

the white paper you'll notice is all about "Philips HDR" and "Philips SDR" ....its the white paper.... and dolby vision doesnt get a mention. and as they say Philips HDR is ONE of the HDR technologies for uhd blu-ray

its the main reason people are skeptical it will have any legs. especially since DV can be implemented now without needing 2.1 or anything such.

as with anything time will tell :)

Posted a link somewhere that all three makes are hdr10 only Al .Certainly the philips has a hdmi2.0a chipset no 2.1 [ though upgradeable in the future who knows ? ] and the thing about dv is it requires both an encoder in the source and decoder in the panel . This is where it comes up against ce's proprietary ideas on HDR like samsungs

" The BDP7501 reveal comes alongside Philips's announcement that all of its 4K televisions in 2016 will support HDR, with the flagship 8600 series featuring full Dolby Vision compatibility" Only the top of the line gets to pay dolby's licensing fees [ in other words the chipsets arent readily available yet - same old story ] and who would want to possibly upgrade the avr/pre again to pass through dynamic hdr metadata :no:

edit ; Some @ avs have expressed concern about this sort of thing undermining there panel etc calibration and they have a point ; who do you want controlling your panels colour gamut etc Some more light reading on dv

Ultra HD Blu-ray will support several different types of HDR metadata, including Dolby Vision and HDR10, an open standard supported by the Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers (SMPTE). However, HDR 10 is a requirement for Ultra HD Blu-ray authoring. The rest will be up to individual content creators, and require TV compatibility with a specific type of HDR Metadata. Vizio’s Reference Series TVs and LG’s new G6 OLED TV, for instance, will support Dolby’ Vision HDR in addition to the SMPTE standard.

As for Ultra HD Blu-ray player support for Dolby Vision: What we know now is that Dolby is opening up its licensing kits for Dolby Vision-enabled Blu-ray players in July 2016, so any players introduced before then (the aforementioned Samsung and Philips units, specifically) will not be compatible — at least not when introduced. Whether Panasonic’s forthcoming player will be remains to be seen, as no release date has been issued yet, and Panasonic will neither confirm nor deny compatibility. However, Dolby did point out to Digital Trends that Panasonic was the first to announce plans to produce a Dolby Vision-enabled player.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/ultra-hd-blu-ray-specs-dates-and-titles/#ixzz47UkD8H5Z
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

Edited by cwt

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/technicolor-vubiquity-high-dynamic-range-hdr-premium-upcharge-1201749554/

'The Technicolor-Vubiquity partnership aims to give hundreds of TV networks and streaming services the ability to delivering HDR video to consumers — even content that wasn’t made for HDR. The service will include an “in-network” High Dynamic Range video “upscaler” that the companies say is the first of its kind. It takes video mastered for existing TV standards and turns it into HDR video.'

Lol sounds like a head ache and a bit of a nightmare at the moment. I might wait until Sony update the ps4 with a uhd Blu-ray player. Hopefully things are ironed out by then.

The topline philips like LG will have both standards hdr10 and dolby vision no worries j; note - At least one studio, Universal, has pledged to offer Dolby Vision content on disc when a player arrives that can support it. real chicken and the egg stuff so far ; Its good theres ways to play it safe :puppeh:

http://hometheaterreview.com/dolby-vision-vs-hdr10-what-you-need-to-know/

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all,

I spent an hour at JB Chirnside Park this week to check out HDR tv's. They only had a Sony FD55X9300D and a LG 60UH770T set up but only the Sony had a HDR demo running, the LG had a 4K demo running. They had a Samsung 65" 9500 series and a LG 75UH85 waiting to be set up so they will probably be running by now. I have wondered in the past if I would like having VERY bright objects on an overall regular/or dark screen, and for me personally I didn't enjoy it. They had a scene from Pixels where a centipede creature was running around a suburban street and through buildings etc, and I found it too bright, like when you turn around outside and suddenly get the sun in your eyes. I'm sure you can adjust settings etc to make it less bright but overall I found the LG OLED range better for me. I won't write HDR off altogether yet, but I am not convinced yet, I will spend more time viewing different models once I have time. Who knows, maybe other brands will deal with HDR differently and the Sony has HDR10 from memory, maybe DolbyVision will be not as drastically bright.

Aze

I'm sure you can adjust settings etc to make it less bright

You would be wrong on that as watching HDR on your tv locks you out of making any changes to the image brightness.They are effectively locked on torch mode which means you may not be able to even watch it in a dark room.To me the words "dynamic range" also means any LCD TV is incapable of doing it justice as they can't come even close to true black on a pixel by pixel basis so there goes the contrast.As it stands right now the whole thing seems like a dogs breakfast with different players in the industry all paddling seperate canoes.A person would have a better chance of a collect backing the favorite in the first race at the sandown dogs than investing anything on HDR.

• 2 weeks later...

Too many nit wits here on these threads. I've been using HDR for the last 20 years in photography. The process is not the same but the effect is same enough. It's over processed garbage. I'll stick to normal wide colour gamut monitors thanks.

• 11 months later...

Samsung and Amazon have unveiled HDR10+, an improvement of its current HDR10 open standard that brings it more up to par with rival Dolby Vision. The partnership makes sense as Amazon will create and stream HDR content, while Samsung will include HDR10+ in all its 2017 4K TVs, and offer updates for last year's models. The tech will help them counter some, but not all, of Dolby Vision's advantages, while still letting Samsung and other manufacturers avoid paying Dolby licensing royalties.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/20/samsung-and-amazon-counter-dolby-vision-hdr-with-hdr10/

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this new format war... whether one will prevail or whether we will be left with multiple systems depending on manufacturer etc.

JSmith :ninja:

19 hours ago, JSmith said:

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this new format war... whether one will prevail or whether we will be left with multiple systems depending on manufacturer etc.

JSmith :ninja:

Will be interesting to see which players will get a firmware upgrade - as its open source and free from dolbys licensing fees j ? Like the hd dvd wars it will be determined by the studios using the mastering they prefer it seems .. If Samsung gets it in the specs as mandatory like hdr10 ...thats unlikely though ?

Samsung has teamed with Colorfront to incorporate HDR10+ mastering into its "Transkoder" systems used by post-production houses

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

LG have really upset a lot of gamers who own OLED panels;

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-20150410129990-others

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2908822-2017-2016-lg-oled-hdr-game-mode.html

Basically in an attempt to have better tone mapping when using HDR in game mode they have dimmed the picture substantially.