Lalla, Lilydale, Area Digital Reception Help

Lalla is covered by the ABC and SBS only from Browns Hill Lillydale, using transmission channels 47 and 46. A weaker and variable signal is available from Mt Barrow on transmission channels 41 - 46.

The Facarro model Lp345 is a poor choice. This is because more than half the antenna is doing nothing. There is no band 3 or 4 signals in this area. A band 5 only antenna will deliver more signal.

http://www.hillsantenna.com.au/Products/Product_subcat/Product?cat=15&ProductID=69 for Lilydale transmitters or http://www.hillsantenna.com.au/Products/Product_subcat/Product?cat=15&ProductID=62 for the Mt Barrow transmitter

Alanh

Alan, I know you have great knowledge and I have respected your advice in the past but all I can say is my set up is proof in it self that it works and works well. I'm sorry the Facarro is working splendidly as it's reputation predicts. I'm happy for anyone to come round and see for them self, just pm for the address.

SB

I did not say it would not work.

Fracarro LP5 is a band 5 only antenna which is a much more appropriate antenna for this location due to the available rf channels which is imported by Laceys

Since the 2014 restack all transmissions are on consecutive transmission channel numbers keeping all transmissions in a single band, making the band 3, 4, 5 antennas a poor choice because only a few of the elements are used. The only exceptions to this rule is in Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth where legacy community TV stations stayed in band 4. The only band 3 transmissions in Tasmania are from Mt Wellington and Lileah. Everything else is UHF in either band 4 or 5

The Fracarro LP 345 is designed for our transmission channels 6 - 12, 20 - 75 which includes the new 700 MHz LTE mobile broadband channels.

Remember that with digital TV there is no gradual reduction in reception quality as the incoming signal degrades. So pixilation and sound breakups are more likely during heavy rain and may not necessarily occur at other times because the receiver is making error corrections.

Alanh

Edited by alanh

SB

The Fracarro LP5 is designed for Australian transmission channels 40 - 75. You only want channels 40 - 45 for Mt Barrow or 46 - 51 or Ch 46 - 51 for Lalla if they install all broadcasters.

The LP series of antennas are log periodic antennas which use a complex formula to not only calculate the length of each element, but also the spacing between them. You will note that the spacing is not constant.

So cutting the elements shorter alone will likely result in unreliable reception.

Alanh

• 10 months later...

Hi guys, to all fine except on some days we get pixelated pictures and sound but not very often. Now my house is almost built and some 15m away further in the dip of no return, I'm thinking I might very well have problems getting a good reception now. One tv is fine but then split 6 ways becomes no good I would think. 

So thinking ahead a bit before I clad all the internal walls, what might be my options if I can't get decent tv anymore? My wife said get fox as it will have the free to air channels but then that's not free to air and I think I only get one box decoder but have more than one tv to run in different rooms.

What do you guys think, is there a dish I can diy and cable up the house for all my rooms with tv or just get a much longer pole to stick the antenna on?

SB

10 minutes ago, superbunny said:

So thinking ahead a bit

Get an antenna installer in to do a site survey to see if FTA from Barrow is possible?

10 minutes ago, superbunny said:

get fox as it will have the free to air channels

No it won't, at least not as part of the subscription package. Only ABC & SBS are available, all other FTA channels would (depending on the box you get) require a good FTA signal.

11 minutes ago, superbunny said:

is there a dish I can diy

Yes, it's called VAST.

You will require a satellite receiver for each TV, so it can get expensive.

15 minutes ago, superbunny said:

and cable up the house for all my rooms

Run 2 x RG6 quad & a couple of Cat 6 cables for good measure to future proof.

16 minutes ago, superbunny said:

just get a much longer pole to stick the antenna on?

Back to the beginning to get an antenna installer to do a site survey to see if FTA is possible - this may require mounting an antenna remote from the property to go down the FTA path. Highly unlikely you'd be able to fluke a spot where FTA might work without the right gear.