Does Anyone Bother With Internet Radios?

David Morrison

@audiofile, I do use my Sonos to access radio and and it serves as my alarm as well.  A bit expensive to buy it just for internet radio but if you are looking for wireless audio as well, cannot go past Sonos.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I miss the stereo speaker which rich deep loud sound concept.  Not these retro transistor radio with a modern make-over things being peddled now...

I'll check out Sonos and all that...  Boy I miss my Internet radio.  Digital radio with it's low bit-rates is just torture after having a decent loud Internet radio...

Apps that do streaming on your phone e.g. TuneIn Radio use the internet radio stream. I don't know of any smart phones that have digital radio tuners in them, although I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, El Saif said:

there is a smartphone with DAB+.

I wonder how long the battery lasts. I see it appears to be a 3 amphour unit. How does that compare to other typical smart phones?

Well this topic is about Internet radio, not portable digital radio.  Even so - a 3AH battery is huge.  I would be surprised if it didn't hold up for a decent amount of time, surely DAB would use less battery than cellular streaming.

Does anyone know of good Internet radios around these days?  The Kogan Deluxe Internet Radio was perfect.  Yeah slightly fiddly but worked perfectly, it worked via that WiFi Radio Frontier service, whatever it was....  I just copied across all the URL's via the web interface and it worked great.  The sound was brilliant.  In a bathroom I could really belt out some good loud music if I wanted too.  I wouldn't do that with crappy digital radio streams.

Sure I could hack something together, but a nice self contained box I could carry around was great.

Edited by Audiofile

• 3 months later...

As Digital Penetration mentioned above, you can buy a Raspberry Pi internet radio kit.

Pimoroni UK sells a Pirate Internet Radio kit for 38.83 pounds including postage to Australia.

The kit comes with the Raspberry Pi Zero W board.

i use the Raspberry Pi Zero with a WiFi dongle and WiFi reception is very weak and slow.

Edited by El Saif

• 4 weeks later...

I use the same with Bluetooth speakers and apps and Google Chromecasts and the like.  I still just like the deep rich sound and easy convenience of a radio that just works when you press on, with all the stations pre-programmed and ready to go.  Don't need to find my phone or keep it in bluetooth range or whatever, and also with added benefit of an alarm clock.  You just pick it up and put it where you want and it works.

The problem is that radios have gone backwards in recent years in terms of loudness and sound quality.  The Kogan I had even had a little 'subwoofer' and it could really put out depth and fill a bathroom or room very well...

This looks interesting though...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BUSH-DIGITAL-AND-INTERNET-RADIO-BR320DABC-COLOUR-SCREEN-with-Warranty-RRP-325/122566684328?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D45571%26meid%3D2b29c9a424cc4f19ae264c5681c8c4b1%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D122480226240&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Also now that we have a huge shared data allowance with Telstra, I am streaming radio constantly - even at work.  I have not used my DAB radio once in the last few months - due to poor reception and poor sound quality.

Streaming radio has a huge future.

Edited by Audiofile

• 7 months later...