Help With Jvc Dla X55R Calibration

dreamz

Finally installed the projector and screen, now trying to calibrate, how to reset the x55r to the factory defaults? Its got some weired color settings, dont know were to fix, blacks are good, but over bright, has yellow, no sharpness for images.. Guess its better to start from the factory defaults.

Or what are the settings everyone use? If i can get a reference point can go from there, the settings looks much complicated than my epson

130" scope screen 1.1gain, lens to the screen is 4.3m, screen to ceiling is 40cm, 2.55m high ceiling, dark walls, white ceiling.

Edited by Sub25

Normally cinema and reference mode are the best out of the box settings JVC put out.. there might be a thx setting on the 55 also. I like cinema mode myself on the JVC's. The colour pallette is over saturated so I pull the colour down to around 40 then tweak the gamma, brightness and contrast from there. They say the JVC lamps have a red push when you first get them so I pulled the red down a touch, looks great with the darbee on about 35-50.

My darbee was about 80 or so with the epson, the very first time i connected the jvc through darbee the picture doesnt look good at all then i realise the darbee in the middle ao i disconnected darbee and its watchable now. Never thought of putting that darbee that low. Will put it back with a low darbee value and see how the pictures looks like.

I tried cinema mode as well, but it looks like settings are tweaked in most of the modes by the previous owner. I guess i need to spend some more time figuring out all.

Is there any option in the projector to do a factory default, so i can start as fresh?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

You probably already noticed this, but the Colour control on most displays affects the Lightness/Luminance of the colours rather than the saturation. It's the third dimension of the standard chromaticity chart. I'm not sure why in this day and age, few displays have a global colour saturation control (other than the gamut presets), yet we have Luminance with the Colour control and Hue with the Tint control.

It's been a while since I touched a JVC so it might be different on those projectors.

Cheers,

Jamie

Normally cinema and reference mode are the best out of the box settings JVC put out.. there might be a thx setting on the 55 also. I like cinema mode myself on the JVC's. The colour pallette is over saturated so I pull the colour down to around 40 then tweak the gamma, brightness and contrast from there. They say the JVC lamps have a red push when you first get them so I pulled the red down a touch, looks great with the darbee on about 35-50.

Edited by jamiet

I am still not getting the best picture out of it, and i have a very poor calibration skills. :-(. I wouldve call someone for calibration but i am planning to do a makeover to the room later on so no point paying someone now for the calibration as the room acoustic will change. But i would definitely appreciate if any of you experienced guys can spare a couple of hours for me, i live in epping, vic. I am free any day anytime till 15th jan, I promise i will provide the best hospitality and treat you well :)

I am still not getting the best picture out of it, and i have a very poor calibration skills. :-(. I wouldve call someone for calibration but i am planning to do a makeover to the room later on so no point paying someone now for the calibration as the room acoustic will change. But i would definitely appreciate if any of you experienced guys can spare a couple of hours for me, i live in epping, vic. I am free any day anytime till 15th jan, I promise i will provide the best hospitality and treat you well :)

I'd like to help, but I am located in north-west Sydney. Just a little bit too far. My normal Melbourne contact is at CES in Vegas at the moment as well. I'll send you a PM for someone who might be able to help.

Tried those settings, much better than previous, color is kind of okay, still it has a little bit of whitewash effect but barely noticeable. For now in a watchable situation, still an extra help would be much appreciable. thanks

It turned out to be the media player (nuc) setting, brightness was turned on, once i put everything in default values it looks much better. Colors are very good now, that white wash feeling is gone. Still lacking a bit of light so i increased the contrast a bit in nuc, not the ideal solution as it brings grains. If i use a high lamp mode then default contrast is okay. So i guess its not giving enough Lumens on low lamp. Now using projectors out of the box values

The PC (nuc) should have its video settings at default, dont turn up contrast there. Turn contrast up on the projector, if you go too far you will begin to see a colour shift in bright whites.

What iris setting are you using?