Projector Calibration

Be interesting to know the improvement and cost.

Give them a call and you will get a price over the phone. It came down to where I lived that dictated the total cost, so if your close you won't pay as much. Overall I was very surprised and pleased with the price. Much less than I thought but my setup is pretty straight forward with only one Bluray player connected to the projector.

Edited by SimonNo10

Completely agree Yorac that's what I thought. I was qouted over $800 about 4-5years ago when I owned the Sanyo Z4. So $450 is a great price for a professional ISF certified calibration.

Stuart from here http://audiovisualcalibration.com.au/ is doing mine. He said it would take approx 2.5hrs to do which is pretty thorough considering that I'm using the projector for BD and 720p/1080i (2 seperate inputs on my Anthem for switching only, so not a complex setup. The primary input being BD is what I'm more concerned about and want the best possible video reproduction that can be achieved. The signal generator they use cost approx $5000 so when you incorporate the equipment plus software then the knowledge (HAA Level 2, ISF Certified, THX Certified) it's all relative.

I guess when it's done I can properly post my impressions and see if it was worth the money.

Edited by SimonNo10

Give them a call and you will get a price over the phone. It came down to where I lived that dictated the total cost, so if your close you won't pay as much. Overall I was very surprised and pleased with the price. Much less than I thought but my setup is pretty straight forward with only one Bluray player connected to the projector.

I reckon it is more likely depending on how many calibration options on your display or equipment that determine the cost. A projector with full CMS will probably take a bit longer to calibrate, as is something with a lumagen radiance processor which allows even more calibration options. Because the number of repeats of the same calibration processes to reach a good compromise between different settings is time consuming. X35 is a very good projector but from top of my head I think people can adjust the greyscale settings, going into the secret menu there is a primitive primary colour adjustment, a gamma curve that can be tweeked, there is a few other settings such as iris level etc. Overall it should be a pretty simple projector to calibrate. I think you will see the difference between a calibrated display to an uncalibrated one.

Hi guys. Calibration is complete. Stuart is a really nice guy very professional and explained to me the equipment used and explained (as simply as possible) during the calibration process what he was doing. Total time was approx 3hrs and he was very thorough and the end result is simply stunning. I put on Guardians of the Galaxy and watched the first 10mins and I was just amazed at the difference in black level, shadow detail and colour, very 3D like and just pops out. I haven't spent much time testing material so will wait until tonight before trying other BD's. My projector as jliang70 mentioned above does not have a CMS menu but Stuart got very very close to what it would be if it did so very pleased with the end result.

So will watch some more content tonight.

Edited by SimonNo10

Hi Simon,

Stu's a great guy and an excellent calibrator. I also met Mark when he was in Sydney for the recent ISF course. Another nice bloke. It's nice to seem some positive feedback on people's calibration experiences.

Cheers,

Jamie

• 4 weeks later...